Specifics About Conversion

Hi all,

I don't pretend to know a huge amount about Sikhi, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a book or web site or some other source about conversion to the Sikh Faith.

I have a very diverse Spiritual Path, having begun in Bhakti yoga, and much investigation of Islam and other Western religious traditions. At one point, I was a brother in a religious order of Franciscans.

I don't know HOW to actually describe this, but I have had several very significant visions that have directed my steps to this point in my life, which occurred when I hovered between life and death last year in hospital. When I began to learn about Sikhi, it seemed more like remembering something I had forgotten rather than learning something new.

I went to a concert by Snatam Kaur Khalsa, and the music did more than just sound nice - it had a kind of 'vibration' to it that was not really hypnotic, but transcendent.

The proximity of these two events has left me seeing things with an eye I never before had.

I have been wearing the simplest of the K's - a kara, and want to adopt each of the other four as I feel ready to do so.

I know about Amrit, how to become a Khalsa, but I'm interested right now in how to develop a deep sense of self as a Sikh, with no other religious identity internally.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sat Nam

The best thing to do is to contact the local Sikhs in your area. You must take Amrit, keep rehat and wear Kakkars. Most peple start with recitation of JapJi Sahib in the morning, Rehraas Sahib in the evening and Sohila Sahib at night. Also, start keeping some rehat and little by little increase it. Go to www.sgpc.net to get a copy of Rehat Maryada. Good luck to you. Guru Rakha

This Shabad is by Guru Raam Daas Ji in Raag Gauree on Pannaa 305

mÚ 4 ]

ma 4 ||

Fourth Mehla:

gur siqgur kw jo isKu AKwey su Blky auiT hir nwmu iDAwvY ]

gur sathigur kaa jo sikh akhaaeae s bhalakae out(h) har naam dhhiaavai ||

One who calls himself a Sikh of the Guru, the True Guru, shall rise in the early morning hours and meditate on the Lord's Name.

audmu kry Blky prBwqI iesnwnu kry AMimRq sir nwvY ]

oudham karae bhalakae parabhaathee eisanaan karae a(n)mrith sar naavai ||

Upon arising early in the morning, he is to bathe, and cleanse himself in the pool of nectar.

aupdyis gurU hir hir jpu jwpY siB iklivK pwp doK lih jwvY ]

oupadhaes guroo har har jap jaapai sabh kilavikh paap dhokh lehi jaavai ||

Following the Instructions of the Guru, he is to chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har. All sins, misdeeds and negativity shall be erased.

iPir cVY idvsu gurbwxI gwvY bhidAw auTidAw hir nwmu iDAwvY ]

fir charrai dhivas gurabaanee gaavai behadhiaa out(h)adhiaa har naam dhhiaavai ||

Then, at the rising of the sun, he is to sing Gurbani; whether sitting down or standing up, he is to meditate on the Lord's Name.

jo swis igrwis iDAwey myrw hir hir so gurisKu gurU min BwvY ]

jo saas giraas dhhiaaeae maeraa har har so gurasikh guroo man bhaavai ||

One who meditates on my Lord, Har, Har, with every breath and every morsel of food - that GurSikh becomes pleasing to the Guru's Mind.

ijs no dieAwlu hovY myrw suAwmI iqsu gurisK gurU aupdysu suxwvY ]

jis no dhaeiaal hovai maeraa suaamee this gurasikh guroo oupadhaes sunaavai ||

That person, unto whom my Lord and Master is kind and compassionate - upon that GurSikh, the Guru's Teachings are bestowed.

jnu nwnku DUiV mMgY iqsu gurisK kI jo Awip jpY Avrh nwmu jpwvY ]2]

jan naanak dhhoorr ma(n)gai this gurasikh kee jo aap japai avareh naam japaavai ||2||

Servant Nanak begs for the dust of the feet of that GurSikh, who himself chants the Naam, and inspires others to chant it. ||2||

start by chanting WAHEGURU in early hours of the morning.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

daas would recommend you read any of Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh Ji's books. They are all inspirational and daas believes they will give you that extra push towards Sikhi and eventually taking Amrit.

Also, talk to some Gursikhs in your area, they should be able to help with Sikhi.

- daas

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

P.s: http://www.searchsikhism.com/stories.html these are stories of poeple who converted to Sikhism.

DEAR SATNAM

SATNAM SRI WAHEGURU, SAT SRI AKAL OR WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH.

Please accept the salutation whichever you like or soothes you most.

I am very much touched with your insertion. I would love to send you my book, 'the message of the gurus - THE SIKH TREE - as the same grew over a period of 239 years (from 1469 to 1708). The book has been specifically written for those young Sikhs or Sikh - aspirants, who are living abroad and are not quite well versed in Punjabi Language. It is in simple English language. You may e-mail me your complete postal address to enable me to do the needful

JAGJIT SINGH

harjagjeet@yahoo.com

011 25 26 7500, 9873462856