Someone Please Help

kamaldeepkaur

Hows it going fellow Canadian?

Well, to first start off some of the things you can write about on your essay are:

- Discrimination (Candians learnt that discrimination was active at that time in Canada, and NON-WHITES were asked to stay out of the country, its' important you put non-whites because even chinese suffered a lot of discrimination from the legal system.

- The Prime Minister of Canada at that time Robert Borden :lol: made specific laws to keep Sikhs out of the country, because he wanted to keep the country a predominantly WHITE country. :umm: @

- Also, you may wish to talk about how Canada was and is still not a perfect democracy because before it was discrimination purely against non-whites, and now discrimination and racism is still active through racial profiling against blacks (cops stopping black people more often than whites), and prejudice against Aborginal people. They are more likely to be in poverty, and homeless.

- Also you can write about why YOU think Kamagatu Maru passengers or there descendants deserve a apology from the Canadian government, and we should be compensated for their harsh actions.

Hey Surrey, I got a question for you? Are you writing a opinonated essay, or analytic? If you are writing an analytic PLEASEEEEEEE make sure you use books as well to back up your claims, because internet websites in not good enough. I lost marks because I didn't use books in my last essay. :D So, make sure you do that, you can get books on "Kamagata Maru" from your local Surrey library.

Here are some websites on the issue at hand:

http://www.sikh-history.com/sikhhist/event...magatamaru.html

http://www.punjabilok.com/misc/freedom/komagata_maru1.htm

http://pd.cpim.org/2004/0314/03142004_muralidharan.htm

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...me=&no_ads=

If you need more help, let me know, and keep representing the pride. :lol:

GOOOOOOOOOOOODDD LUUUUCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!! :TH:

> Event: Town hall meeting in Toronto with Indo-Canadian organizations and community members. Separate, smaller meetings between the federal lead and leaders in the Indo-Canadian community will also be held earlier the same day in Toronto. Parallel events will be held earlier in November in Vancouver.

> Date: Friday, November 24, 2006 from 7:00 to 9:30 pm

> Location: Pearson Convention Centre in Brampton

> Federal lead: MP Jim Abbott, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Canadian Heritage

> Federal agency organizing the event: Department of Canadian Heritage

> Purpose: To solicit the views of the Indo-Canadian community concerning the recognition of historical immigration experiences related to the imposition of the "continuous journey" clause of the Immigration Act and the 1914 Komagata Maru incident. Following the consultations, the Parliamentary Secretary will prepare a report proposing the government's response to be submitted to the Minister of Canadian Heritage.

>Background: In 1908, a legislative measure was passed in Canada that prohibited the entrance of Asian migrants who had not sailed directly to Canada from their country of origin. Called the continuous journey clause, it was repealed in 1947. In 1914, a passenger ship, the Komagata Maru, arrived in Vancouver with 376 people (mostly Sikhs) from Calcutta, India via Hong Kong, Shanghai and Yokohama. Only 22 of the passengers were allowed to disembark because they had been previous residents of Canada.

The other passengers were refused entry. While interned in Vancouver harbour for two months, conditions on the ship worsened significantly for the passengers. The vessel eventually returned to Calcutta where a riot erupted when British officials tried to transport the passengers to the Punjab region. Twenty people were killed in the riot.

In February 2005, the Government of Canada announced an investment of $25 million over three years to acknowledge, commemorate and educate Canadians about the historical experiences of ethno-cultural communities impacted by wartime measures and immigration restrictions. Agreements-in-Principle (AIP) of $2.5 million were signed with organizations representing Ukranian-, Italian- and Chinese-Canadians. The Government was close to signing a similar AIP with the Indo-Canadian community.

In a speech on August 6, 2006 to the Gadri Babiyan da Mela Festival in Bear Creek Park, British Columbia, the Prime Minister said, "I also want you to know that the Government of Canada acknowledges the Komagata Maru incident and we will soon undertake consultations with the Indo-Canadian community on how best to recognize this sad moment in our history."