The migrant effect on Punjabi society

Guest mehtab

Bikramjit, you should know not to always trust one newspaper. Every article that you posted was from the Tribune, big deal.

Bhaiyas, come to think of it, are just like any person who came to Canada, America looking for a job. Gorrai's probably think of your parents as bhaiyas.. Why do I say this, becuase the majority of Sikh adults who are in Canada, America are in blue collar type of positions, bhaiyas are in the same position.

I wonder why so many Sikhs are involved as farm hands in California, British Columbia, on and on..

And to Rochak, you made it seem as anti-muslim, so what if bhaiyas set up relgious acadedmys[madrasas] if they want.

Everybody has the right to their own religion. If you don't want to make it seem anti-muslim, then don't hightlight everything that has the world muslim, or islam in it.

Anyways, you guys should lay off Bhaiyas, pretty soon they'll start coming over here. And who's going to sponsor them, your parents.. :@

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Ghulam Singh

You didn't answer my question about where you visit is Punjab. The reason I ask is because I want to

know where in Punjab you were where you picked up your views that Bhaiyas rock. Sikhs in Punjab don't share your comments in my experience. Talk to any Sikh farmer and you will know that their attitude to Bhaiyas have changed in the last few years. Previously the farmer would treat the Bhaiyas almost like family members, allowing them to stay in their homes but after a spate of rapes, murders and abductions this has all stopped.

Rather than criticise me for for picking up newsreports from just one newspaper why not actually comment on those reports. If you want I can pull out some reports from Ajit, the reports of Bhaiya crimes are in all the newspapers, if you have been to Punjab you would know that already. Your only answer to the newpaper reports was 'big deal'.

I find your comparison of Sikhs in western countries with Bhaiyas pretty simplistic.

1. Sikhs can only emigrate to the west by the visa system, Bhaiyas can come to Punjab at any time

2. Barring a few exception Sikhs in the west do not engage in crimes such as rapes, murders and robberies as Bhaiyas do.

3. Sikhs come to the west and achieve what they can through hard work, Bhaiyas get allocated public land to build their slums, steal electricity theough illegal connections etc

GurFateh

Bikramjit

Ghulam Singh Posted on Dec 24 2003, 11:53 PM

And to Rochak, you made it seem as anti-muslim, so what if bhaiyas set up relgious acadedmys[madrasas]if they want.

Everybody has the right to their own religion. If you don't want to make it seem anti-muslim, then don't hightlight everything that has the world muslim, or islam in it.

first of all, i got this article from sikhawareness, and highlighted most parts (maybe not all) that were highlighted on that site. secondly, i dunno where but a few years back i read a newsreport that there were muslim families residing in Punjab in the disguise of Sikhs, and they had been doing so ever since 1947. Why they did this was to escape being killed by rioters who in 1947 were non-muslims in east punjab. Thirdly, my own native pind in jalandhar has been seeing a fast influx of muslims, especially from kashmir, and these people have been buying a lot of land. In view of the fact that certain fanatics have declared a war on the west and also india, Punjab would be the nearest spot for kashmiri insurgents, as for them Punjab is a part of india, and both hindus and sikhs are kafirs. Therefore, i m concerned! Nothing to be against muslims on my part, but keeping one's eyes open is not outlawed anywhere :@ .

stay in chardi kala wub.gif

Still you guys are talking about racial profiling, in an extent of ethnic cleansing. People move from different places, they bring their own cultures, traditions to another location.

I still dont' see anything wrong with bhaiyas moving in. So if they bring in Tb to punjab, what about apnai loq and the 'tharka' smell :@ haa

Anyways, have a happy new year

maybe im wrong or perhaps fearing but can only speak from a viewpoint from england. 5000 pakistanis came here in a shortage of labour in the 60s, in the year 2003, they have merged themselves with new muslim groups serving as the patriotic hub of the islamic voice in britain and claim support of many hundreds of thousands such as al muhajiroun also operating under an umbrella community or ummah of 2.5 million something. The problem isnt primarily just numbers, but the demands their groups have vowing to take over the uk already planting the flag of islam over downing street, many areas in london are now dominated by muslim populations east south or north with huge numbers.

The kind of youth being produced and the resurgance of wuhhabi sunnite islam is causing considerable racial tension leading to riots and racial segregation all over again. The kinds of demands these groups are not rooted from just fringe elements but within the ummah a direct example of friction caused between sikhs and muslims all over the uk on streets, colleges, unis, and murders and savage beating taking place, khalifa hut leaflets are just tip of the iceburg or targetting sikh girls, a lot more goes on that people dont always hear about. all this in a short span of 40 years from 5000 to 2.5 million. One cant just put it to the factor of competition " paks v sikhs" as muslim strongholds are mixed with indian muslims and pak muslim communitiies, in fact its blatently obvious an extreme form of religion is being revolutionised once the community has taken strength in numbers.

i dread to think if in 20 years the same happens in punjab. i try not be racist or anti muslim, but i can only

speak from experiences from what i have witnessed here. and yes sikhs and other asians also came here but are not purposely increasing their birth rates, or seeking domination here. southall and punjabi ghettoes are a result of racism that was incurred during the 70s and 80s. one can say well biharis arent capable of what happens here by some muslims or just came for a better life, but what if gujjar muslim farmers from up keep buying up land in punjab , as well as kashmiri insurgents move in from the same stocks of pakistanis kashmiris? Who would have thought bengali muslims would stand shoulder to shoulder with their co religionists from pakistan 20 years ago? who could stomache the peaceful youth bengali image being submerged in the sea of wuhhabi sunni fanaticism?

if the trend continues, the same story of the uk could resurface in punjab and would be more than likely considering islam ummah ( community) and politics go hand in hand.

if today its 500 000 strong whats that gonna be in 20 years? that too in a sikh heartland like ludhiana? the trends of sikhi on decline within the youth is pretty obvious too.

the same parralel could happen with bihari migrants but the main problem with them is they are the lowest caste in hindus, and would hardly be considered for rss right hand domination, but cud be used to influence state politics, i have heard some are converting to sikhi as a way out of their lot.