Puratan Rehni Behni

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ka fateh

Khalsa jio,

From our experience with some previous century GurSikh we can say they were the best GurSikh we ever met and we miss them all. As far as we understood of there REHNEE, BEHNEE and KAHNEE they were perfect in all three.

Rehnee: Following Guru Sahib's all rehats beginning their day with sharp Amrit vela, Naam simran followed by Panj bani then Sukhmani Sahib then Asa ki vaar and additional banis until they start their kirat (job or business). Then all day their liv (mind) always in Gurmantar. Strict intake rehat some did sarabloh, some not. Simple outfit some in kurta pajamas, some in Pant Shirts (According to work). Then in evening again Gurbani recitation So dar Rehraas, then some Naam abhiyass, some book reading (news or Gurmat related) then Keertan sohila and good night sleep.

Behnee: Desperate for Sat Sangat all the time especially at weekends, some every day in the morning (if Gurudwara Sahib is nearby). Means always looking for the sangat for other Gursikhs especially keertan samagams all the time.

Kehnee: When ever they were asked to do something (Panthic or family related) they always said Sat Bachan jee and they were so committed to complete the bachans that they never care about their money, property or even their life to fulfill the commitment. No shal (cleverness), no dhokha to other GurSikhs. Means they were committed to what ever they say.

This is explanation we experienced and Sikh history tells us the Gursikh with these characters were here in this Guru Ghar since Guru Sahib's (Deh roop) times and there life’s made the Golden History on this planet. And with Guru Sahib's kirpa in his Ghar there are still those GurSikhs.

"Hain virlay Nahee(n) Ghanay" upon whom this panth continued with time.

Guru Mehar Karay

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

Source - Tapoban Sahib

What to talk about Gurmat Rehni Behni. The Gatt-Mitt of one who obeys the hukams of Guru Sahib and keeps max rehit cannot be defined or said in words.

There were far less pothis, Gutkas and saroops of Siri Guru Granth Sahib jee but Gursikhs then were far more well-versed in Gurbani than today. They had hours long Gurbani nitnems. Gurbanis like 7 Nitnem Baanis, Siri Sukhmani Sahib, Siri Asa kee Vaar, Siri Bavan Akhri, Siri Sidh Gosht, Siri Oankaar, Ramkali ki Vaar, Basant kee Vaar were standard for Gursikhs. Giani Amir Singh of Taksal has written that puratan Gursikhs used to do Panj Granthi everyday for sure. Many Gursikhs had Akal Ustat and Chandi dee Vaar kanth. Ones who did not have these baanis kanth used to do many many paaths of Siri Jap jee Sahib a day.

Subedar Baghel Singh who wrote many books on Sikh mysticism and who passed away about 10 years ago in Toronto, once told me that in olden days whenever Gursikhs used to meet each other, the first question they asked was "are you tyaar bar tyaar" i.e. are you keeping Guru Sahib's rehit. Second question they used to ask was "Charkha chalda hai ke nahi". Charkha in olden days was used to weave cotton clothes and in this sentence Charkha means Naam da charkha. Some Singhs used to ask "Khanda chalda hai na". This way they reminded each other about Naam and rehit. Today who asks this question? If you ask someone about their rehit, he or she would call you nosy and get upset. No one today asks if your charkha is going on. We have become too formal with each other.

Rehit Rehni Behni is all about Naam and for Naam. All rehit is kept for Naam. So we must never forget to indulge in Naam.

Kulbir Singh

Source: Tapoban

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• Topics

• Umm, that's totally irrational, bro. There are plenty of prakash-dara Singhs in Punjab (less than we'd like, but still plenty). No one cares that you are sabat soorat. It isn't 1986. You can walk around in chola, kurta-pajama, or jeans. Whatever. If you want the look @dallysingh101 is referring to, just go into a cheap clothing shop (not a Western-style mall) and buy some shirts for 250 rupees or a track suit for 2000 rupees. You'll get the cheap stuff made in some sweatshop in Bombay.
    • The Mind is Jyot Saroop (Waheguru), but the mind is under the influence of five evils… Through Naam Simran( Rememberance), the mind will begin to detach from evil, and get back to its original form ( MANN TU JYOT SAROOP HEH)… Until the mind breaks free from the five evils, one will go through the cycle of paap and punn….which leads to Karma… Naam Simran destroys past karma, and prevents new karma coming into fruition… I did this, I did that… This non realisation of the Jyot Saroop gives rise to paap and Punn, which in turn gives birth to suffering and misery…
    • I agree we're not born with sin like the Christians think. Also I agree we have effects of karma. But Gurbani does state that the body contains both sin and charity (goodness): ਕਾਇਆ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਪਾਪੁ ਪੁੰਨੁ ਦੁਇ ਭਾਈ ॥ Within the body are the two brothers sin and virtue. p126 Actually, we do need to be saved. Gurbani calls this "udhaar" (uplift). Without Satguru, souls are liable to spiritual death: ਜਿਨਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨ ਭੇਟਿਓ ਸੇ ਭਾਗਹੀਣ ਵਸਿ ਕਾਲ ॥ p40 Those who have not met Satguru Purakh are unfortunate and liable to death. So, yeah, we do need to be saved, and Guru ji does the saving. The reason Satguru is the one to save is because God has given Satguru the "key" (kunji): ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਹਥਿ ਕੁੰਜੀ ਹੋਰਤੁ ਦਰੁ ਖੁਲੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਗੁਰੁ ਪੂਰੈ ਭਾਗਿ ਮਿਲਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੭॥ In the True Guru's hand is the key. None else can open the door. By perfect good fortune the Guru is met. p124
    • That's unfortunate to hear. Could you give any more information? Who was this "baba"? He just disappeared with people's money? Obviously, you should donate your money to known institutions or poor people that you can verify the need of through friends and family in Punjab.
    • Sangat ji,  I know a family who went Sevewal to do seva sometimes end of 2019. They returned last year in great dismay and heart broken.  To repent for their mistakes they approached panj pyaare. The Panj gave them their punishment / order to how t make it up which, with Kirpa, they fulfilled.  They were listening to a fake Baba who, in the end, took all the "Donations " and fled sometime over a year ago. For nearly 4 years this family (who are great Gursikhs once u get to know them) wasted time and effort for this fake Baba. NOT ONLY this one fam. But many, many did worldwide and they took their fam to do seva, in village Sevewal, city Jaitho in Punjab. In the end many families lost money in thousands being behind this Baba. The family, on return, had to get in touch with all the participants and told them to stop.  I am stating this here to create awareness and we need to learn from whom we follow and believe. It's no easy but if we follow the 3 S (Sangat, Simran and Seva) we will be shown the light. As I am writing this the family in question have been doing the same since 2008 onwards and they fell for this Baba... it is unbelievable and shocking.  This am writing in a nutshell as am at work on my break so not lengthy but it deserves a great length.  Especially the family in question, who shed light on youngsters about Sikhi 20 plus years!! 

Important Information

Terms of Use