Where is your dastaar?

birkhalsa

Where is your dastaar?

Mallika Kaur

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whenever we look back at our history, we find someone to blame. We find someone who made a mistake. We find the coward who succumbed to fear or domination. We find the traitor who went for greener pastures.

Whenever we talk about our Gurus, we talk of the high ideals. We talk about how we should never stand for second best, rather live up these ideals. We talk of shaheedis, we praise the warriors, the soldiers, the Khalsa.

Whenever we tell our kids about what we think they need to know, we tell them to find good sangat, to look for good examples, but most of all believe in the Guru. We tell them that they need to make a niche for themselves, never giving in to pressure, yet always respecting others.

Whenever we praise someone’s efforts, we tell them to persevere in them, to not quit, to remain in Chardi Kala. We tell them that with the guru’s kirpaa, they have been chosen to take initiative, the lead, the fore—and they must not disappoint the panth.

Whenever we introspect and say that we “Chose to be a Sikh”, we mean it was a conscious decision, not some birth right, but a way of life we have adopted. Not something forced down our throats, rather an acceptance of the Hukkum.

Whenever we need to tell the world, our kids, and ourselves, why thousands of Sikhs vanished, we find plenty of reasons and plenty of culprits. Some of us have different ideas, but we find many people to lay the onus on faulty leadership, an eerie conspiracy, heinous acts out of je

alousy, and insecurity.

We are going to commemorate events from 20 years ago, but are we forgetting what is happening in our midst, only an ocean away, in our very lifetime? Is the threat to people who we believe to be a part of the valuable panth small because it is not happening to us? Or is it small because they will not be burnt, raped or murdered, just shorn of their dastaars? Has it always been empty rhetoric when we said, “I’d rather lose my head than my dastaar.” If it is just something we say to make us feel good, then let us stop now.

If you disagree then what about the 5000 brothers or sisters an ocean away—aren’t they going to be beheaded! Does it not matter to us because they are only 5000 Sikhs there? Then why do we make the mighty statements of “one person oppressed, is one too many!”

I don’t really see how we can make our kids sing “We are the Khalsa” or scream jaikaaraas of “Raj karegaa…”, when kids of other Sikhs are not even being allowed in schools!

I don’t see the point of telling people about 1984, when we can’t take interest in what is happening in 2004! When we become a part of our history, and we already are, because every day becomes history right when the sun sets, young Sikh children today and future generations will point fingers at us and say “they were too busy to worry about the community's welfare…” At that time we will have no one to blame but ourselves. Who can we blame for not noticing the grace that the Guru has bestowed on us by making us aware of this injustice. We are blessed to be living comfortably in a country where we can voice our concern at the fate of Sikhs in France without risking our necks.

We are callous enough to sometimes blame people who (while their thighs were being pulled apart, nails torn out and genitals shocked) blurted secrets that got many of their comrades killed. Yet we really don’t find time to at least tell the world that we, the Sikhs, do exist and do care about other Sikhs, all around th

e world.

What’s the use of us planning changes in the land ruled by severe oppression, when we can’t make small efforts—the click of a mouse, the dialing of a phone, the writing of a letter—sitting in the land where we are safe and have rights?

Erroneous, discriminatory and hatred ridden thinking catches like wildfire. Are we so dense that we have already forgotten this? While we make plans to make people remember the mistakes of the past and always quote “those who forget their history, are bound to repeat it”, we are neglecting the present. Is this really what the gurus taught?

I don’t think I can look another child in the eye, knowing that there is the possibility that on a “study abroad program for foreign language development” to Europe while she is in college, she might be singled out, taken out of line, and asked to remove her “headgear.”

I feel we are giving in too easy. “It’s a political issue, don’t get too involved,” is a very shameful thing for one Sikh to say to another! Sikhs are a political people. When did the guru ask us to be apolitical? It feels pathetic to tell people that Sikhs carry kirpaans to defend the defenseless, when they can’t make time to help their own sisters and brothers in need.

Sikhaan di Matt uuchii

Sikhaan nu Sikhi daan, Kesh daan, bibek daan, visaah daa

sarbat da bhala

I don’t see how we can even say our most important ardaas when we are living under the thread of losing our identity.

This is a worrying matter. And I am bent on making you worry. I neither want you or myself, to be one of the many cowards, traitors, hypocrites, liars, that our children will look down at tomorrow. If this comes to any kid in France or elsewhere saying “dada, what happened to your dastaar?” Shame not on those who were or those who will be.

Shame on us!

http://www.sikhspectrum.com/022004/mallika..._france_ban.htm

>