Meeri Peeri

Guest __Guest__

Miri [spiritual] and Piri [political] aspects go hand in hand. You can't work with one without messing around with the order of the other. Miri is more influential though... I think...

Miri Piri is made of 2 persian words.

Mir means something along the lines of lord, commander, prince.

Pir means something along the words of saint, spiritual persion. (In fact if you watch some of the Urdu films they still use the word pir to describe someone very holy)

Therefore Miri and Piri represents 2 things. Mir the worldy excellence and Pir the spirutual excellence. The concent of Miri Piri was emphasised by the 6th Guru - Shiri Guru Hargobind Ji who brought it at the forefront. . famously by wearing 2 swords given by Baba Budha Ji.

He explained that in sikhi Miri and Piri co-exist and both are of equal importance. One does not take presidence over the other. For instance some people believe it is important just to be nice to everyone as spiritual knowledge has shown them that we are all one souls. So they give to charity, they donate etc. This represents Piri (spirutality..which can be many things such as praying, giving 10% of earnings) BUT in Sikhi this is not enough.

In sikhi you must live your life also being a Mir (physical knwoledge of injustices, rules etc) For instance if you see stealing, cheating, racism, injustice you must stand up for that. Therefore you will find that a lot of Gatka Akhara's are called Miri Piri Gatka Akhara as it incorporates physical power with spiritual power ie Gatka being a form of defence to protect people.

Therefore in even simplier terms Miri Piri is simplified to mean soldier-saint. When people say Sikhs live in the world this is wat they mean ie we do not live in the jungle and just pray and live our own happy simple life.

Instead skhs are holy people but unlike other holy people they are not confined to temples etc. Instead they are involved in politics, they will stand up to injust rules and defend others ie they play an integral part in shaping society for the betterhood.

This may seem obvious to us but we must remember that the majority of people still interpret religion as isloation when infact Guru Gobind Singh all those years ago said my sikhs will be Mirs and Pirs. I would really encourage you all not to get involved in standing up for people's rights across the world, be involved in politics. It is with great sadness that many Sikhs only focus on being a Saint but remember you must also be Soldier. I am happy to see more people knowing Gatka but we must never forget that this is just one part of being a soldier. A Mir has many more qualities other than just knowing a martial art. Lets all strive to become the best Mirs AND Pirs. Live a life of a saint-soldier.

• 2 years later...

If u really wanna know the real meaning of meeri peeri, There is a documentary specially which explains , what is meeri peeri in detail...and i have explained it a little on my blog as well...Check it out it also has the trailer of my upcoming documentary which every sikh should see called "MEERI - PEERI", explaining how it is the solution for peace...and has the awnsers to the questions:-

Why was sikhism created?

Who were sikhs?

What is khalsa?

History of sikhs

www.meeripeerithefilm.blogspot.com