Victorinox Kirpan

Sangat jee I have a rather simple question .....

I ususally wear my taksali kirpan as partof my rehat .... I recently picked the smaller of the two Victorinox Kirpan's .... this one comes in a leather cover with a belt loop ...

Is it fine to use this kirpan maybe passed thru a belt as a kakkar ..... it is named a kirpan but I understand the material / construction of this shastar is quite different from our traditional kirpan's ...

Also from a legal stand point is it fine to wear this . I know Kirpan is fine .. I am in India so would love to hear from anyone else who uses this as his daily kirpan ...

WJKK WJKF

Anothersikh

VK kirpan from a shastar piont of view is very poor for quality and usability.

From a rehit point of view it's fine - in the old days, Singhs wore kirpans (swords), the small kirpan-rehit maryada only started after the British banned shastar after defeating the Sikhs in the 2nd Anglo-Sikh war.

You need to be careful not to confuse tradition (old and new) and maryada. Taksali kirpan is not a puratan maryada - if you study Sikh weaponry, you will see thay Sikhs used whatever shastar they were able to access - there has always been a mix of Hindustani, Islamic and European (ferengi).

A shastar is a shastar and Sarab in sahanskriti means 'best' - so sarab -Loh means best metal. One only has to see the shastar at Hazur Sahib and the surrounding guru ghar to know they are not made of pure iron or are designed ni a specific way!

As long as you are happy/comfortable with the shastar then it's fine.

Victorinox kirpans are very decent - strong and durable blades - not razor sharp, but can be sharpeneded without cracking the blade and maintaining a good lasting edge. Got mine from Amritsar, but Sikhiroots in Smethwick were selling them for about £90 for the larger one (shorter one available - no point in that - get the larger one).

Miyan lets it down though (slightly better than a Blue Peter job) - when I have time I'm going to ask the Ratnovaal boys to make one for the kirpan - a snug fitting wooden miyan with steel kadai.

Sikhroots in smethwick? where abouts is that? and are they the proper victoronix ones? btw whats miyan? wow look at me asking questions like a kid. :kid:

Sikhiroots - Don't live in the region any longer, but 99% certain the shop is still there. High Street in Smethwick - just up from the Gurudwara. Not visible from the road because its tucked away in a small shopping square - if walking along Smethwick High St, simply stop a local Sikh and ask them directions. If anyone here has their number please post - they used to do internet orders, but due to lack of interest closed the website. But I'm certain they would probably arrange order and delivery over the phone.

Miyan - Punjabi for 'sheath' that you keep a kirpan/ sword in.

Ratnovaal - Village where traditional blacksmiths from a Gursikh family near Ludhiana make good quality kirpans for decent prices and do a lot of private commission at fair prices.