Can’t Practise Law, Canada Tells Sikh Hijacker

Azaad

Canada has refused to allow the mastermind of the 1984 hijacking of an Indian Airlines flight to Lahore to practise law. Parminder Singh Saini, 46, who took refuge here 15 years ago and faces deportation to India, sought permission last year to practise law in Canada after completing his law degree here. But the Law Society of Upper Canada has now ruled that Saini cannot practice in Canada because of his bad character.

Rejecting his application, the Law Society said Saini was unfit to practice in Canada because of “the seriousness of the crime of hijacking, the deception after landing in Canada and the fact that he is still being described as a person of danger.”'

In 1995, Saini entered Canada illegally under the name of Balbir Singh with a fake Afghan passport. He has maintained that he lied about his identity for fear of being deported to India. Saini was the leader of five Sikh militants, who hijacked an Indian Airlines flight from Srinagar to Delhi on July 6, 1984, with 255 passengers on board and took it to Lahore.

The hijack drama ended after a 17-hour stand-off, with the hijackers surrendering to the Pakistani authorities.

After a trial in Pakistan, Saini was sentenced to death by a Lahore court. But the death sentence was commuted to life term. He was released after 10 years and asked to leave Pakistan.

The Pakistanis arranged the fake passport for him to enter Canada. After his arrival here, he earned a BA degree and a law degree even as he fought his deportation order. Saini, who still faces deportation and is listed as a national threat in Canada, requested the Law Society of Upper Canada to allow him to practise law here.

Appearing before the Law Society last year, he regretted his past and said he deserves a shot at life in this country.

Referring to the 1984 hijacking, he said: “I had no legitimate right to do that. It's not legal.”'

Based on his terrorist past and lying about his identify, the Law Society ruled that Saini has failed to prove that he is a man of good character and thus doesn’t deserves to practice in Canada. Saini is attached to his brother’s immigration consultancy firm Singh and Associates based in Mississauga on the outskirts of Toronto.

Guest PunjabSingh

I remember watching this highjacking live on Pakistan TV.

In those days people specially in Punjab used to not rely on Doordarshan which was the only TV in India,instead they tried to catch Pakistan TV using very tall antennas.

During this highjacking by Parminder Singh and other Sikhs no one was injured.Since this highjacking was done to draw the attention of the world community towards the atrocities on Sikhs and the attack on Darbar Sahib it can not be termed a terrorist attack.

At Lahore airport the PTV correspondent asked his name .He said PARMINDER SINGH HARFAN MAULA .Then he asked how did you manage to highjack the Indian Airlines plane with so many highjackers .Parminder Singh said they started the highjack with ardasa and that is why so many highjackers(I think they were 9) managed to highjack the plane under so much security .

Each and every moment of the highjack was shown by PTV .

Now look at what the foreign people (US and Canadians) have commented on Parminder Singh when it was revealed that he is planning to practice law in Canada :

http://www.thestar.com/article/701920#comments

and here is article on which the comments were based :

http://www.thestar.com/article/701920#article

Then we say US and Canadian goras are not racists.

They have given very racists comments although Sikhs even former militants dont pose any danger at all to USA or Canada .

Guest PunjabSingh

Is this the same Parminder Singh who was with Manjeet Singh Babbar & Malaghar Singh Babbar?

Im not sure but I think you are right .It still needs to be confirmed.I remember 2 other names atleast : Bhai Dalip Singh and Bhai Karan Singh(Jammu,I think)

Actually there were two hijackings of Indian Airlines in 1984.In the second one which took place in August 1984 the ring leader was Bhai Kanwaljit Singh Sandhu.

In the hijacking in which Bhai Parminder Singh Harfanmaula was the leader the plane was taken to Lahore and it ended there whereas in case of the second hijacking in which Bhai Kanwaljit Singh Sandhu was the leader the plane was taken to Lahore ,then the hijackers demanded it to be flown to USA .However the Indian govt persuaded the Dubai govt to let it land in Dubai .At Dubai airport Romesh Bhandari who was the Ambassodor of India to UAE,who is still alive,persuaded the UAE govt to hand over the hijackers to India.In return UAE was promised that a Dubai based criminal in India would be extradited in return.I dont think that criminal of Indian descent was ever handed to Dubai but Sikh hijackers were put in jail in India.After that no one knows what happened to them and where they are now .

Bhai Kanwaljit Singh Sandhu hijacked the second plane as a mona Sikh.Similarly in both the hijackings some hijackers were monas but all were Sikhs mostly from All India Sikh Students Federation.

Both of the hijackings were shown by Pakistan TV.The second one to Lahore,Dubai was covered more. In both cases the passengers said they were treated well.Sikh community must stand behind them as they did not do it for themselves.But against and to highlight the descretion of Darbar Sahib,Amritsar and the excesses against the Sikhs to the International community.

Guest PunjabSingh

Is this the same Parminder Singh who was with Manjeet Singh Babbar & Malaghar Singh Babbar?

I think Bhai Manjeet Singh Babbar(Hijacker) was shot dead on the Indo Pak border ?

Guest PunjabSingh

The treatment meted out to Sikh hijackers can be contrasted with that of Pandey brothers who also hijacked an Indian Airlines plane for release of Indra Gandhi who was in jail then.Both the Pandey brothers were given MLA tickets.

The Pandey brothers example was mentioned repeatedly by Sant Bhindranwale in his various speeches enlightening the Sikh masses as to how we are slaves in India :

Watch from 05.00 onwards.

By the time of this interview the 2 above mentioned 2 hijackings had not taken place as those 2 planes were hijacked "after" Operation Bluestar.

Guest PunjabSingh

I think Bhai Manjeet Singh Babbar(Hijacker) was shot dead on the Indo Pak border ?

From Wikipaedia :

Malagar Singh Babbar was a member of the Babbar Khalsa - Parmar faction (led by Jathedar Talwinder Singh Ji Babbar), a Sikh militant organisation seeking independence from India. He was killed with his close friend Manjeet Singh Babbar by the Indian army on the border of Rajasthan, India on 25 October 1990. Was a General of the babbar khalsa.

The hijacking which Sant ji commonly referred to was the one done by Bhai Manjeet Singh aka Museebat Singh.

Nine Sikhs belonging to the Sikh Students Federation hijacked an Indian Airliner from Jammu to Lahore in 1984. The hijackers were:

Parminder Singh "Harfam Maula" (Leader)

Dalip Singh

Manjit Singh Babbar

Gurdip Singh Pardesi

Malaghar Singh Babbar

Harbhajan Singh

Harminder Singh

Gurvinder Singh

Ravinder Singh.

On January 20, 1986, three of them were sentenced to death, two were sentenced to life-imprisonment and four were acquitted.

Later in 1989 the death sentence was commuted to life-imprisonment under the orders of a general amnesty. Two of the four acquitted Manjit Singh Babbar and Malaghar Singh Babbar were killed in an encounter with Indian security forces.

Master Karan Singh and Jasvir Singh were amongst the five who hijacked an Indian Airliner from Delhi Srinager flight to Lahore.

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/india-news/switzerland-govt-may-soon-deport-sikh-hijackers-to-india_10020230.html

Guest PunjabSingh

The hijacking which Sant ji commonly referred to was the one done by Bhai Manjeet Singh aka Museebat Singh.

Nine Sikhs belonging to the Sikh Students Federation hijacked an Indian Airliner from Jammu to Lahore in 1984. The hijackers were:

Parminder Singh "Harfam Maula" (Leader)

Dalip Singh

Manjit Singh Babbar

Gurdip Singh Pardesi

Malaghar Singh Babbar

Harbhajan Singh

Harminder Singh

Gurvinder Singh

Ravinder Singh.

On January 20, 1986, three of them were sentenced to death, two were sentenced to life-imprisonment and four were acquitted.

Later in 1989 the death sentence was commuted to life-imprisonment under the orders of a general amnesty. Two of the four acquitted Manjit Singh Babbar and Malaghar Singh Babbar were killed in an encounter with Indian security forces.

Master Karan Singh and Jasvir Singh were amongst the five who hijacked an Indian Airliner from Delhi Srinager flight to Lahore.

http://www.thaindian...a_10020230.html

Thanks for correcting .Do you have their pictures ?

If Im not mistaken I think Bhai Gurdeep Singh was the one who was mona with thick moustache .Bhai Ravinder Singh was the one who looked like a young boy.Bhai Dalip Singh was the turbaned Sikh who raised slogans at Lahore airport with both hands raised ?

What about the second hijacking of 24 August,1984 ?Do you have the details ?

One thing which I can not forget about the interview which Bhai Parminder Singh Harfan Maula gave to Pakistan TV at Lahore airport was :

Pak TV Correspondent : Tuhaday naal hor kinay log hun ?

Bhai Parminder Singh : An ginnat ie there is no exact number of our supporters or infinite

Bhai-Malaghar-Singh-Babbar.jpg

Shaheed Bhai Malaghar singh Babbar

Bhai-Manjeet-Singh-Babbar.jpg

Shaheed Bhai Manjit Singh Babbar

Bhai-Manjeet-Singh-Babbar-2.jpg

Shaheed Bhai Manjit Singh Babbar

Bhai-Manjeet-Singh-Babbar-3.jpg

Shaheed Bhai Manjit Singh Babbar (right) Im 90% sure that's Parminder Singh "Harfam Maula" with him

I'll try post more hijackers pictures.

I have a jeevani of Bhai Kanwaljit Singh Sandhu, will try dig it up and see what it says.

Who else was with Karan Singh Jammu? Most of the hijackers are alive and staying in Switzerland I believe.