Take Comfort

MokhamSingh

"Put him behind bars and leave him there until I say so!" exclaimed the King. "My liitle finger has been severed whilst trying to draw the sword from the sabre during the hunting expedition and all he can say is take comfort in what he does". The soldiers wrestled the cabinet minister and imprisoned him until further notice.

As time went on the king went hunting again but this time becoming estranged from his soldiers. In the thick of the forest the king was truly lost and to make things worse he became the kidnap victim of a group of terrible bandits. The king lost hope as he had no chance of being discovered by his soldiers. The bandits wanted to kill the king and offer him as a balli (sacrifice) to their Devi. The king was preparing for the worst when one bandit noticed that the king had a severed finger. "So what?" another bandit exclaimed. "We cannot offer him as a balli owing to the fact that he has a limb missing and as such the Devi will not be appeased as it not acceptable in the balli maryada" the leader of the pack explained. The king was released as he did not serve any purpose by being captured.

The king finally caught up with his soldiers and explained the whole horrid incident to them. The soldiers took the king back to the palaces and offered to comfort him.

"The minister , the minister" cried the king. He's been in prison for over a year now. I sent him to prison in fit of rage when he said "takecomfort in what he does".

"Release him immediately" ordered the king "and bring him to me".

When the king set eyes on the minister the king began to weep for the injustice he had ordered against him. "If it wasn't for the severed finger I would have been slaughtered today " weeped the king.

"Take comfort in what he does" whispered the minister.

"What about your lost liberty for one year" begged the king. "I always accompany you on your hunting expeditions" said the minister. "If I hadn't been imprisoned then I would have been the balli!"

We often get distressed when things don't go according to our plan.

The king and the minister both wept with happiness as all they could hear around them was:

(੨੮੩-੨, ਗਉੜੀ ਸੁਖਮਨੀ, ਮ ੫)

ਜੋ ਕਛੁ ਕਰੈ ਸੋਈ ਸੁਖੁ ਮਾਨੁ ॥

jo kashh karai soee sukh maan ||

Whatever He does - take comfort in that.

2 Gaurhee Sukhmanee Guru Arjan Dev

ਭੂਲਾ ਕਾਹੇ ਫਿਰਹਿ ਅਜਾਨ ॥

bhoolaa kaahae firehi ajaan ||

Why do you wander around, you ignorant fool?

ਕਉਨ ਬਸਤੁ ਆਈ ਤੇਰੈ ਸੰਗ ॥

koun basath aaee thaerai sang ||

What things did you bring with you?

2 Gaurhee Sukhmanee Guru Arjan Dev

(੨੮੩-੩, ਗਉੜੀ ਸੁਖਮਨੀ, ਮ ੫)

ਲਪਟਿ ਰਹਿਓ ਰਸਿ ਲੋਭੀ ਪਤੰਗ ॥

lapatt rehiou ras lobhee pathang ||

You cling to worldly pleasures like a greedy moth.

3 Gaurhee Sukhmanee Guru Arjan Dev

ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ ਜਪਿ ਹਿਰਦੇ ਮਾਹਿ ॥

raam naam jap hiradhae maahi ||

Dwell upon the Lord's Name in your heart.

3 Gaurhee Sukhmanee Guru Arjan Dev

ਨਾਨਕ ਪਤਿ ਸੇਤੀ ਘਰਿ ਜਾਹਿ ॥੪॥

naanak path saethee ghar jaahi ||4||

O Nanak, thus you shall return to your home with honor. ||4||

ਗਉੜੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥

gourree mehala 5 ||

Gauree, Fifth Mehl:

ਮੀਤੁ ਕਰੈ ਸੋਈ ਹਮ ਮਾਨਾ ॥

meeth karai soee ham mana ||

Whatever my Friend does, I accept.

ਮੀਤ ਕੇ ਕਰਤਬ ਕੁਸਲ ਸਮਾਨਾ ॥੧॥

meeth kae karathab kusal samana ||1||

My Friend's actions are pleasing to me. ||1||

ਏਕਾ ਟੇਕ ਮੇਰੈ ਮਨਿ ਚੀਤ ॥

eaeka ttaek maerai man cheeth ||

Within my conscious mind, the One Lord is my only Support.

ਜਿਸੁ ਕਿਛੁ ਕਰਣਾ ਸੁ ਹਮਰਾ ਮੀਤ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

jis kishh karana s hamara meeth ||1|| rehao ||

One who does this is my Friend. ||1||Pause||

ਮੀਤੁ ਹਮਾਰਾ ਵੇਪਰਵਾਹਾ ॥

meeth hamara vaeparavaha ||

My Friend is Carefree.

ਗੁਰ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਤੇ ਮੋਹਿ ਅਸਨਾਹਾ ॥੨॥

gur kirapa thae mohi asanaha ||2||

By Guru's Grace, I give my love to Him. ||2||

ਮੀਤੁ ਹਮਾਰਾ ਅੰਤਰਜਾਮੀ ॥

meeth hamara antharajamee ||

My Friend is the Inner-knower, the Searcher of hearts.

ਸਮਰਥ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਸੁਆਮੀ ॥੩॥

samarathh purakh parabreham suamee ||3||

He is the All-powerful Being, the Supreme Lord and Master. ||3||

ਹਮ ਦਾਸੇ ਤੁਮ ਠਾਕੁਰ ਮੇਰੇ ॥

ham dhasae thum thakur maerae ||

I am Your servant; You are my Lord and Master.

ਮਾਨੁ ਮਹਤੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਤੇਰੇ ॥੪॥੪੦॥੧੦੯॥

man mehath naanak prabh thaerae ||4||40||109||

Nanak: my honor and glory are Yours, God. ||4||40||109||

(ang 187-188 Sri Guru Granth Saheb ji )

ਨਟ ਨਾਰਾਇਨ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ਦੁਪਦੇ

natt naaraaein mehalaa 5 dhupadhae

Raag Nat Naaraayan, Fifth Mehl, Du-Padas:

ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥

ik oankaar sathigur prasaadh ||

One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

ਉਲਾਹਨੋ ਮੈ ਕਾਹੂ ਨ ਦੀਓ ॥

oulaahano mai kaahoo n dheeou ||

I don't blame anyone else.

ਮਨ ਮੀਠ ਤੁਹਾਰੋ ਕੀਓ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

man meeth thuhaaro keeou ||1|| rehaao ||

Whatever You do is sweet to my mind. ||1||Pause||

ਆਗਿਆ ਮਾਨਿ ਜਾਨਿ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਸੁਨਿ ਸੁਨਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਤੁਹਾਰੋ ਜੀਓ ॥

aagiaa maan jaan sukh paaeiaa sun sun naam thuhaaro jeeou ||

Understanding and obeying Your Order, I have found peace; hearing, listening to Your Name, I live.

ਈਹਾਂ ਊਹਾ ਹਰਿ ਤੁਮ ਹੀ ਤੁਮ ਹੀ ਇਹੁ ਗੁਰ ਤੇ ਮੰਤ੍ਰੁ ਦ੍ਰਿੜੀਓ ॥੧॥

eehaan oohaa har thum hee thum hee eihu gur thae manthra dhrirreeou ||1||

Here and hereafter, O Lord, You, only You. The Guru has implanted this Mantra within me. ||1||

ਜਬ ਤੇ ਜਾਨਿ ਪਾਈ ਏਹ ਬਾਤਾ ਤਬ ਕੁਸਲ ਖੇਮ ਸਭ ਥੀਓ ॥

jab thae jaan paaee eaeh baathaa thab kusal khaem sabh thheeou ||

Since I came to realize this, I have been blessed with total peace and pleasure.

ਸਾਧਸੰਗਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਪਰਗਾਸਿਓ ਆਨ ਨਾਹੀ ਰੇ ਬੀਓ ॥੨॥੧॥੨॥

saadhhasang naanak paragaasiou aan naahee rae beeou ||2||1||2||

In the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, this has been revealed to Nanak, and now, there is no other for him at all. ||2||1||2||

(Ang 978 of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji