Guru Arjan Dev Ji'S Topi?

VJKK VJKF

Watching Sikh Channel I saw Devinder Singh Sodhi doing a little speach and he talks about his home in India and how that area has a religious history and has some things which belonged to Guru Arjan Dev Ji and one of those things he said was his "sir di topi" (a head hat), can somebody clarify what that's all about??? Thanks

VJKK VJKF

VJKK VJKF

Watching Sikh Channel I saw Devinder Singh Sodhi doing a little speach and he talks about his home in India and how that area has a religious history and has some things which belonged to Guru Arjan Dev Ji and one of those things he said was his "sir di topi" (a head hat), can somebody clarify what that's all about??? Thanks

VJKK VJKF

Gurfateh veer,

You miss heard slightly he was refering to a seli topi which is a loosely woven "hat", which was worn by the first 5 gurus and was an important part of early "sikhism" be it without the offical name since this was established by the 10th guru. Dastars 1st started to be worn after the 6th guru command that turbans should be worn, and i believe after which baba buddha ji started to wear a dastar instead of a topi.

I am reasonabily sure of this infomation after conducting some research however it I can not be sure 100%.

Hope it helped

Satnam

Gurfateh veer,

You miss heard slightly he was refering to a seli topi which is a loosely woven "hat", which was worn by the first 5 gurus and was an important part of early "sikhism" be it without the offical name since this was established by the 10th guru. Dastars 1st started to be worn after the 6th guru command that turbans should be worn, and i believe after which baba buddha ji started to wear a dastar instead of a topi.

I am reasonabily sure of this infomation after conducting some research however it I can not be sure 100%.

Hope it helped

Satnam

Provide the reference that the first 5 Gurus wore a seli topi?

The topi is called seli topi and can be seen here http://bilga.com/oldalbum/slides/Bastar%2007%20-%20Saeli%20&%20Hath%20simrana.html

It is kept at bilga pind which is my dadi's pind and has many other different bastars belonging to Guru Jee. Guru Arjun Dev Jee visited this pind whilst going towards Mao Sahib for their Anand Karaj with Mata Ganga.

It is written in Panth Parkash by Giani Gian Singh that Sri Guru Hargobind Jee when reciving Miri Piri Shastar also gave up the seli topi and kept the dastar. Not sure how true it is or if it was worn but there is some evidence.