Self Control

SikhSeeker

WJJK WJKF

I need some advice. How does one attain self control. Things like being lazy, not getting up for Amrit Vela, or even when I do im yawning half the time. Or things like eating unnecessarily. Has anyone been through this or overcome it? Im finding it difficult to control myself and keep giving in.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Well Im trying to overcome a few of these things.

Firstly evening excercising and stretching (excercise in the evening and stretch in the mornings) help laziness alot! Do abit of excercise if you can every day or every few days and stretch every single day to combat laziness plus proper loving real naam jaap which makes you aware and awake and feel alive.

Amrit vela I am still struggling with but ive been told sleep earlyish like 11- 12 and wake up at like 5 if you sleep at 12 or 4am if you sleep at 11 or if you can cope with 4 hrs sleep get that.

In gurbani we are expilictly told to wake at amrit vela, in my experience this is incredibly hard but so worth itm when I first started japping naam and doing paath I did this more easily than I can now and I am still trying to understand this but I think its become harder becuase im being tested so Im going to start waking up no matter what.

Gurbani is god word so if God, our creator and true master himself is telling us to wake up at amrit vela we should probably do it right?! :happy:

lol, I think if we all kept this in mind we'd make more of an effort to get up instead of making excuses like i'll get up tomorrow or god wont mind if I sleep a couple more hours- ive been doing that every day for a few years now and its ruining my life, the best days of my life were those days I woke up at amrit vela- my days ran so much more smoothly and I felt so much closer to god.

:sad:

WJJK WJKF

I need some advice. How does one attain self control. Things like being lazy, not getting up for Amrit Vela, or even when I do im yawning half the time. Or things like eating unnecessarily. Has anyone been through this or overcome it? Im finding it difficult to control myself and keep giving in.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Oh and about eating unecessarily I do yoga which makes me feel disgusting inside when I overeat or eat junkfoods but sometimes I dont care about that so the thing that really stops me is this line from gurbani

Sleep little, and eat little; O Nanak, this is the essence of wisdom. ||8||

khandit nidraa alap ahaaraN naanak tat beechaaro. ||8||

I remember this line and stop myself when I feel like I'm pushing the boat with food abit.

Like I said before, this is God himself instructing us so its imperative we listen as kaljug will get us any way it can and if we follow gods instructions we're safe- also goign against god word is abit silly seeing as he made us and we owe him everything.