Talk On Punjabi Computerization

GSLehal

Hello Mr. Lehal

That was a fascinating and exceptionally informative interview. I was very pleased to hear of the developments you spoke of. Although Panjabi is my second language, I have been playing around with the Punjabi University online unicode typing pad and am impressed with its functionality, especially in phonetic mode.

I also find the PU online dictionary to be extremely useful although it could be improved in terms of response speed and by enabling the ability to use the ctrl + c and ctrl + v shortcuts on the webpage. Currently the ctrl button seems to function exactly as a shift button would when I try and use it in this way? Enabling this functionality would make inputting words from other pages/documents into the dictionary a quicker and more natural affair for regular computer users.

You spoke of the need for developing comprehensive and authoritative dictionaries/thesauruses as data for effectively functioning software and I had been under the impression that the linguistics/lexicography related departments of PU were doing this? If this is not the case, given the importance of such an endeavor, surely you would be more than justified in approaching and requesting funding from the SGPC for such a project? PU seems to have already laid down at least some of the groundwork in this area, maybe some further projects can be a driving factor for a further sharp phase of growth in the area? With the unprecedented global changes we are seeing in modern times, especially with the pervasive impact on language and culture, we do need to track and document the semantic use of older Panjabi words (in my opinion) lest we quickly lose the meanings of more archaic words and find ourselves unable to fully interpret slightly older texts in future as a result.

Regarding the spelling of the word 'Panjabi'. I think we should push for the standardisation of spelling using an 'A' over 'U' i.e. Panjabi over Punjabi.

Thank you for all your effort in preserving and updating our language. May God bless you and your family.

Thanks for your appreciation. We are glad to know that you find our resources useful and are regularly using them. Regarding the issues in the online dictionary:

1) We have recently shifted the dictionary and the speed has slightly improved. To improve it further we have to go for SQL Server DB which is fast than MS Access or we can modify existing code to use Memory (RAM) based Data sets. We are looking at those options.

2) The Copy/paste issue is in Mozila not with IE and we are working on it.

The lack of linguistic resources for Punjabi is a serious issue but unfortunately no conceret steps are being taken in that direction. As an example, we have hundreds of scholars doing PhD in Punjabi but none of them is related to development of these resources. To promote and spread Punjabi language, according to me there is an urgent need to develop:

1. Comprehensive Punjabi-Punjabi, Punjabi-English & reverse, Punjabi-Hindi & reverse, Gurmukhi-Shahmukhi & reverse dictionaries, with sample sentences for each meaning.

2. Punjabi thesaurus

3. Collection of all Punjabi idioms and phrases with meanings in Punjabi and English along with sample sentences.

4. Technical dictionaries for the latest terminolgies being used espcially in Information Technology field.

5. Collection of Punjabi words whose usage is decreasing or words used in ilder text along with their meanings.

1) We have recently shifted the dictionary and the speed has slightly improved. To improve it further we have to go for SQL Server DB which is fast than MS Access or we can modify existing code to use Memory (RAM) based Data sets. We are looking at those options.

I'm quite surprised and amazed to hear this is running of MS Access! That is quite an achievement but I am sure an upgrade of software (to SQL), server hardware and bandwidth will resolve the issue.

2) The Copy/paste issue is in Mozila not with IE and we are working on it.

Just to let you know, I'm having the problem with Opera.

The lack of linguistic resources for Punjabi is a serious issue but unfortunately no conceret steps are being taken in that direction.

I'm quite saddened to hear this. What do you think the main obstacles to preventing the required work taking place are? Is it lack of will on part of our academic institutes? Lack of resources and funding? Apathy by the wider community?

As an example, we have hundreds of scholars doing PhD in Punjabi but none of them is related to development of these resources.

The things you mention don't seem to be the types of projects that can be undertaken by single students. It is the type of work that requires a professional team and ongoing commitment.

To promote and spread Punjabi language, according to me there is an urgent need to develop:

1. Comprehensive Punjabi-Punjabi, Punjabi-English & reverse, Punjabi-Hindi & reverse, Gurmukhi-Shahmukhi & reverse dictionaries, with sample sentences for each meaning.

I think some aspects of these tasks have been started by PU, I'm still perplexed as to why the Panjab government doesn't initiate and support the development of some of these things in partnership with Panjabi universities? Even the SGPC (with their ample funds received as Sikh donations to the many Gurdwaras under their control), could play a part in this?

3. Collection of all Punjabi idioms and phrases with meanings in Punjabi and English along with sample sentences.

5. Collection of Punjabi words whose usage is decreasing or words used in ilder text along with their meanings.

Occasionally I try and translate Panjabi texts into English (in a very amateur fashion), to try and improve my skills and have noticed that I do come across words that are either not in any dictionaries I have found, or used in a context that is not covered.

I'll be frank and say that I believe that for such things to be developed the community itself needs a strong desire to preserve, protect and develop the language and its resources. What I have found in my experiences is that generally Panjabi Sikhs are often pretty much indifferent to such things in comparison to some other communities. Developing a love of and interest in one's literature/language seems to be pretty low in the priorities of most Panjabis, especially those from more simple, rural backgrounds. I'm sure this plays a part. I can only compare this to what I have witnessed growing up in the U.K. where the middle classes seem pretty much preoccupied with the preservation, promotion and maintenance of high levels of literacy amongst the society here. Not that this drive is always entirely successful as the literacy standards of indigenous white working class boys frequently demonstrate. But at least the will is there and effort is generally made.

4. Technical dictionaries for the latest terminolgies being used espcially in Information Technology field.

Again, with the rapid changes that take place in this field alone, a dedicated and dynamic team would be required to achieve this. Although in the past I have often wondered just how capable the Panjabi language is for handling higher level technical language in a non convoluted way? I mean do we have the vocabulary to explain deeper technical matter in a unambiguous way? I wonder?

In the end, if the government of Panjab itself is not concerned enough about preserving, promoting and developing the language to make significant and sustained investments in this area, I imagine the average Panjabi person is hardly likely to be highly enthused with the matter themselves?

Overall, a state wide policy of encouraging and facilitating higher levels of quality literacy needs to take place amongst Panjabis. This has to have a lot of will, investment and love behind it on part of the educational institutes of Panjab. Any drive needs to reach the rural masses and change existing mindsets too. You are probably in a better position than most others to judge what our chances are in these respects?