Vajab Ul Arz

Thanks for the reality check Veerjeo :) i couldnt sleep properly last night after having made the above comments.. perhaps because they are stinking of haumai, or that i had no business commenting on something i know very little about, perhaps it is both, or something thats even darker.. in any case, i can only pray to Maharaj and Sangat to do some kirpa on this moorakh jeo otherwise this dirtbag is going to keep spreading gandh like this..

A sincere maafi in Sangats feet once again :waheguru:

If anyone it's me, I inferred about something I had no idea about i should be asking for maafi.

Prabhjot Singh -., on 01 May 2011 - 04:13 AM, said:

Thanks for the reality check Veerjeo i couldnt sleep properly last night after having made the above comments.. perhaps because they are stinking of haumai, or that i had no business commenting on something i know very little about, perhaps it is both, or something thats even darker.. in any case, i can only pray to Maharaj and Sangat to do some kirpa on this moorakh jeo otherwise this dirtbag is going to keep spreading gandh like this..

A sincere maafi in Sangats feet once again

If anyone it's me, I inferred about something I had no idea about i should be asking for maafi.

Both of your original perspectives are valid. One for exercising caution and the other for seeking knowledge. We should do the latter fearlessly whilst exercising the former.

I find old manuscripts and their contents fascinating, even when they don't conform to what we believe should be contained therein. There's usually still something(s) to learn, even if only something about historically hostile forces to the mainline faith.

I mean look at how much brothers/sisters have learned from analysing the current crop of 'Sikh studies'. By this I mean the impact of orientalism, conscious and subconscious biases of writers, the very nature of original sources of Sikh itihaas, the sly use of respectable academic facades and passive voice to give unwarranted credence. The often highly politicised and culturally loaded nature of 'research' and how it can appeal to our vanity to control us.

I mean, it's all helping to make us more clued up about these things - well some of us anyway. Helps simple folk like us to start grasping the kind of games that get played out there in the big, bad world.

My 2 rupees worth.

Gyan ratnavali actually has some interesting sakhis. There is one in which Guru Hargobind lists some qualities that a kathavaak has to have before he is entitled to do katha of Guru Granth Sahib, some of these being:

- throgh knowledge in Gurbani

- throgh knowledge on the languages in Gurbani

- through knowledge in sikh history

- through knowledge in other religions

- a pleasant and nice personality

- a good speecher who attracts his audience etc.

Thats why veer, even though Gyan Ratnavli may not be written by Bhai Mani Singh and was written lateron in his name, it can include authentic sakhis, or sakhis where we can learn from.

We might even be able to learn from (dare I say it!) sullay in this respect. By this I mean how they don't ignore any of their hadiths but rather study and critically analyse them (along their own lines), and categorise them in terms of their perceived reliability. So some are more 'strong' and others 'weak'.

Just a thought.