Marriage

Kaur2000

• 2 weeks later...

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I'd like to request evryone here who are calling these old traditions senceless and stupid to take a moment and look at it from our elders point of view..these traditions were not invented to make lives harder or to punish sons and daughters who go out looking for their own rishte, they were made to protect the youth and the families.

Consider a daughter from one family marrying into another family, and then the grooms sister marrying the wifes brother. Now in heach houshold there is a daughter from the other. If God forbid there were to be a huge arguement between one of the couples or even as far as a sepperation then the daughter who is still married would most likley get a very hard time from her inlaws. This is true and has happend. In such situation the daughters in law become more like a weapon; if one family feels their daughter is not being treated well by the other family they may give their own daughter-in-law a hard time to get revenge or teach a lesson. This is not a theory, it is reality.

When two daughters of the same house marry into one family this <banned word filter activated>-for-tat does not happen. That is why for our elders there is a big difference between allowing ur bhabis sister to marry into your family but not allowing your own sister to marry into bhabis family.

It makes complete sense and we sould all try to understand where the elders are coming from when they say these things before we go off on a 'kouragous' tangent about equality in the panth or before we call our elders stupid or ignorant for still enforcing such traditions. They are for our own benefit and if you take a moment to try to understand why they exist then they make complete sense.

I truely hope I havn't offended anyone but there is a difference between the two situations being discussed here. Im not saying that the marriages dont ever work, but there is greater risk involved and both families will feel the preasure ten times greater if misunderstandings arise.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

That is no different than the girl marrying cousin brother's wife's brother. Therefore it is fine.

Brother there is a world of difference. If it wasnt we wouldnt be discussing it now.

Some of these traditions are so senseless and backwards. As far as I am aware nowhere has Guru Sahib promoted this kind of thinking. Its really only man made punjabi culture, not God's law. Really I mean if there's no blood relation there is absolutely no good reason for such a prohibition.

just because you dont understand these traditions, it doesnt mean that there is something wrong with them. This has been Panjabi culture for centuries, and even if gurus didnt promote it, it doesnt mean that they demoted it either.

• 1 month later...