House of Commons Visit and Kirpan

M_Singh1970

I am visting the UK House of Commons through a work arranged visit. I have been on their website and it advises that everyone has to go through an airport style security process.

There is no mention if Kirpans are allowed through, so I was wondering if anyone has been to the House of Commons and can advise me if I would be allowed to keep my kirpan on throughout my visit

I am visting the UK House of Commons through a work arranged visit. I have been on their website and it advises that everyone has to go through an airport style security process.

There is no mention if Kirpans are allowed through, so I was wondering if anyone has been to the House of Commons and can advise me if I would be allowed to keep my kirpan on throughout my visit

Yes veerji you can keep your srisahib on at all times during your visit. You must inform security that you have a sri sahib on you.

Have fun :)

Yes veerji you can keep your srisahib on at all times during your visit. You must inform security that you have a sri sahib on you.

Have fun :)

Thank you for the reply but can you give something where it has this in writting in case I am not allowed to take my sri sahib with me.

I will also be with non sikh work colleagues so do not want to have a long debate with the security personnel over the issue.

Veerji I'm asking a friend for written confirmation. Not sure how long she will take to respond, i hope its before your visit. Are your from the UK?

Regarding UK law- Under the Criminal Justice Act 1988 (section 139) and Criminal Justice 1996 (section 3 and 4) allows anyone to carry a blade exceeding the length of 3 inches for religious, cultural or work related reasons. The Criminal Justice Act and the 2003 Religious Discrimination Act safeguards the Sikhs to carry the Kirpan.

I attended the visit and there were no problems with carrying my kirpan.

Just in case I had any issues I wore one which had a blade that was less than 3 inches. But even if I wore my longer one i think there would not have been any problem

Thank you to S4ngh for taking time out to reply and do further research for me