Aberdeen Sikhs Join With Oil Workers To Fill Up City Food Bank

singhbj singh

UK News: Aberdeen Sikhs join with oil workers to fill up city food bank

Members of the north-easts Sikh community last night teamed up with local oil and gas workers to provide food to the regionss less fortunate.

A packed Christmas food bank was set up at the Seaton Community Education Centre in Aberdeen to help some of the citys most deprived people.

The event was organised by Mandeep Singh Khalsa of the north-easts small but passionate Sikh community.

The 28-year-old, of Cove, said the food bank brought the Sikh community one step closer to setting up a Langar a common kitchen and canteen for all in the north-east.

The offshore consultant, with help from pal John Welsh, of Wood Group, gathered a huge amount of food donations for locals to stock up on for the festive period.

Tea, coffee, sugar and oatmeal were among the food items donated, along with baby food, milk and nappies for parents struggling to make ends meet this Christmas.

In Sikh cultures a Langar is a common kitchen and canteen area where food is served to visitors regardless of background.

Langars are usually set up in a Gurdwara a Sikh place of worship and only serve vegetarian food so that all people regardless of beliefs and diets can eat together.

Mr Khalsa, who is originally from London but whose family is from India, hopes one can be set up in Aberdeen next year, and visualises running a monthly curry night for the citys hungry.

Mr Khalsa added: The Sikh community in Aberdeen is quite small but full of passion. We havent got a Sikh temple at the moment, but everybodys a good cook, all of our wives and myself, we cook quite well. Even without a temple we thought we would do a curry around Aberdeen.

I contacted the guys at Wood Group about a food bank. We want to do this every month. Sikhs have been part of the British culture for more than 150 years. We have been here since the end of World War II.

It is quite poignant that we are getting together to do something for our community. I have to give credit to the guys at Wood Group, Talisman-Sinopec, Sikh Relief and DNDK Limited. It is an interfaith thing.

Theres going to be about 10 to 15 of us getting together every month. We are hoping to get a liaison as well with the council.

We hope to show theres no difference between people in India and the UK. We should be blind to colour, race, religion and any other difference were all the same, and love Santa.

Source - https://www.facebook.com/SikhChannel840

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• Topics

• I agree we're not born with sin like the Christians think. Also I agree we have effects of karma. But Gurbani does state that the body contains both sin and charity (goodness): ਕਾਇਆ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਪਾਪੁ ਪੁੰਨੁ ਦੁਇ ਭਾਈ ॥ Within the body are the two brothers sin and virtue. p126 Actually, we do need to be saved. Gurbani calls this "udhaar" (uplift). Without Satguru, souls are liable to spiritual death: ਜਿਨਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨ ਭੇਟਿਓ ਸੇ ਭਾਗਹੀਣ ਵਸਿ ਕਾਲ ॥ p40 Those who have not met Satguru Purakh are unfortunate and liable to death. So, yeah, we do need to be saved, and Guru ji does the saving. The reason Satguru is the one to save is because God has given Satguru the "key" (kunji): ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਹਥਿ ਕੁੰਜੀ ਹੋਰਤੁ ਦਰੁ ਖੁਲੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਗੁਰੁ ਪੂਰੈ ਭਾਗਿ ਮਿਲਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੭॥ In the True Guru's hand is the key. None else can open the door. By perfect good fortune the Guru is met. p124
    • That's unfortunate to hear. Could you give any more information? Who was this "baba"? He just disappeared with people's money? Obviously, you should donate your money to known institutions or poor people that you can verify the need of through friends and family in Punjab.
    • Sangat ji,  I know a family who went Sevewal to do seva sometimes end of 2019. They returned last year in great dismay and heart broken.  To repent for their mistakes they approached panj pyaare. The Panj gave them their punishment / order to how t make it up which, with Kirpa, they fulfilled.  They were listening to a fake Baba who, in the end, took all the "Donations " and fled sometime over a year ago. For nearly 4 years this family (who are great Gursikhs once u get to know them) wasted time and effort for this fake Baba. NOT ONLY this one fam. But many, many did worldwide and they took their fam to do seva, in village Sevewal, city Jaitho in Punjab. In the end many families lost money in thousands being behind this Baba. The family, on return, had to get in touch with all the participants and told them to stop.  I am stating this here to create awareness and we need to learn from whom we follow and believe. It's no easy but if we follow the 3 S (Sangat, Simran and Seva) we will be shown the light. As I am writing this the family in question have been doing the same since 2008 onwards and they fell for this Baba... it is unbelievable and shocking.  This am writing in a nutshell as am at work on my break so not lengthy but it deserves a great length.  Especially the family in question, who shed light on youngsters about Sikhi 20 plus years!! 
    • Giani Kulwant Singh Jawaddi Kalan uses simple Punjabi.
    • Leaving aside Guru ji, the general question of taking afeem (opium) in limited quantities for war/medical wounds is simply unproblematic. When you go to the hospital, they give you morphine. What do you think morphine is? It's an opiate. Even codeine (cough syrup) is an opiate! Ever had a cough? Granted, it is against Gurmat to take opium or other drugs for the fun of it.

Important Information

Terms of Use