radio 5 live prohgramme

jagjit_waheguru

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Pyare jio, I felt quite annoyed after the programme on radio 5 live about the Birmingham protests. I tried to get on, and gave my opinions, and was phoned back by the show, and was kept on stand by them for 20 mins, but the DJ Richard Bacon at the end apologised to me for not having anymore time.

I know it was not his fault, but I let him know that I thought he gave the anti-protest people more coverage, and was gobsmacked by comments by the "Ted" from southall. ( another so-called sikh knows nothing about sikhism)

I thought the two speakers Mohan singh and other playwrite from southall both spoke well. It was a shame Mohan singh has lost his voice. But at times, he was put against the wall by silly comments by the likes of this "Ted". I think these potest leaders need some help on the media side from youth backing them . The next time we know of a media programme discussing the issue, everyone should be notified so that they can contribute.

Just some Points

1. Freedom of Speech - Sikhs are not against freedom of speech, our 9th Guru was Shaheed to give others freedom of expression and speech. However this freedom should be responsible, and comments should have some factual nature. When the play depicts peodophilia, rape, etc which are not common place in any Sikh institution, then it is not factual, but a blot of falsehood on the community. Unlike the Christain community which believes in celebacy for its priests, hence it has a child molestation problem, but sikh do not.

Sometimes a play can be set to educate and bring social reform, but this is not the case. When we as si

khs do not have this problem, then no social reform is required. Clearly the intention is purely sensationalist and publicity seeking on behalf of a writer. This is a sign of a poor writer who needs this to promote their plays.

2. Image of Protesting Sikhs - We as sikhs also need to be aware of how we are being percieved in this. Clearly alot of peole have sympathy with the sikhs protesting. But we as sikhs need to have discipline in protest. We need to learn from our History and protests like Jaito Morcha, and its times. Singhs were hit by laahtis, but did not loose their discipline. If you heard the programme on 5 live, the defining point when sikhs begin to loose support is when people can link us with violence. Then suddenly words such as "fanatics" appear. We need to show this is play, which all sikhs across the board are hurt by, and show that we can protest in a civilised and disciplined manner. The sikhs who protetsed against muslims at Trafalagar Square earned the respect of everyone with thier behaviour. A similar thing is required here. Draw a line under the violence and protest in a peaceful manner.

3. The Writer getting Threats - Whether this is true or not, only she and the police know. As Sikhs we need to ensure that she does not allow herself to be victim, as she is very cleverly protraying herself. Sending threats to her is very unsikh-like. Sahib Siri Guru Tegh Bhadhur ji blessed us with a shabad " do not threaten anyone, or be threaten by anyone." The writer has got herslef in hot water and rightly so, her play is deeply offensive. But as sikhs we should be aware of her trying to protray herself as a "Martyr to the Freedom of Speech", no matter how false and irresponsble it is.

4. Mohan Singh, I personally feel is doing well, but he needs help. This situation can be more damaging to Sikh than the play could ever be. This is if the media starts using words as fanatics, and the Rep continues on its false crusade to humiliate sikhs. More youth needs to become active in the

media speaking up for the Sikhs genuine grevance in this situation.

5. The Rep statements have been so irresponsible, it is unbelievable how they got thier positions. Mohan singh has made it clear we are not censoring the play, just asking for its setting to be changed. Their first statement about the setting being not important and writing in notes about the positive aspects of sikhs in literature is just a sham. The playwrite in the Radio 5 Live programme clearly stated that the setting is like a character in itself. It is fundamental to the play. It can never be accepted that it is not integral to the play. It is the very essence of the play.

Lastly, I wish the brom sangat well. Also if by tommorrow, the Rep is not persuadable to stop the play. then a day of national protest should be organised. A day when all sikhs come in coaches from Gurdwaras from all UK. The Rep should realise this situation is not going away.

Just some thoughts.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!