[shabad] Bhagat Naamdev Ji

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa, Vaheguru ji ki fateh!

I was sitting in sangat one day, and this hukamnama came from Guru Sahib (This Shabad is by Bhagat Naam Dev Ji in Raag Dhanaasree) Made me think because of its uniqueness. Yesterday, a couple of us started doing vichaar, and this shabd came up again. Here's the shabd:

ਪਹਿਲਪੁਰੀਏਪੁੰਡਰਕਵਨਾ॥

Pahil purī­ė pundrak vanā.

First of all, the lotuses bloomed in the woods;

ਤਾਚੇਹੰਸਾਸਗਲੇਜਨਾਂ ॥

Ŧā cẖė hansā saglė janāʼn.

from them, all the swan-souls came into being.

ਕ੍ਰਿਸ੍ਨਾਤੇਜਾਨਊਹਰਿਹਰਿਨਾਚੰਤੀਨਾਚਨਾ॥੧॥

Krisnā ṯė jān­ū har har nācẖanṯī nācẖnā. ||1||

Know that, through Krishna, the Lord, Har, Har, the dance of creation dances. ||1||

ਪਹਿਲਪੁਰਸਾਬਿਰਾ॥

Pahil pursābirā.

First of all, there was only the Primal Being.

ਅਥੋਨਪੁਰਸਾਦਮਰਾ ॥

Athon pursāḏmarā.

From that Primal Being, Maya was produced.

ਅਸਗਾਅਸਉਸਗਾ ॥

Asgā as usgā.

All that is, is His.

ਹਰਿਕਾਬਾਗਰਾਨਾਚੈਪਿੰਧੀਮਹਿਸਾਗਰਾ॥੧॥ਰਹਾਉ॥

Har kā bāgrā nācẖai pinḏẖī meh sāgrā. ||1|| rahā­o.

In this Garden of the Lord, we all dance, like water in the pots of the Persian wheel. ||1||Pause||

ਨਾਚੰਤੀਗੋਪੀਜੰਨਾ ॥

Nācẖanṯī gopī jannā.

Women and men both dance.

ਨਈਆਤੇਬੈਰੇਕੰਨਾ॥

Na­ī­ā ṯė bairė kanna.

There is no other than the Lord.

ਤਰਕੁਨਚਾ॥

Ŧarak na cẖā.

Don't dispute this,

ਭ੍ਰਮੀਆਚਾ॥

Bẖarmī­ā cẖā.

and don't doubt this.

ਕੇਸਵਾਬਚਉਨੀਅਈਏਮਈਏਏਕਆਨਜੀਉ॥੨॥

Kėsvā bacẖ­unī a­ī­ė ma­ī­ė ėk ān jī­o. ||2||

The Lord says, "This creation and I are one and the same". ||2||

ਪਿੰਧੀਉਭਕਲੇਸੰਸਾਰਾ॥

Pinḏẖī ubẖkalė sansārā.

Like the pots on the Persian wheel, sometimes the world is high, and sometimes it is low.

ਭ੍ਰਮਿਭ੍ਰਮਿਆਏਤੁਮਚੇਦੁਆਰਾ॥

Bẖaram bẖaram ā­ė ṯum cẖė ḏu­ārā.

Wandering and roaming around, I have come at last to Your Door.

ਤੂਕੁਨੁਰੇ॥

Ŧū kun rė.

Who are you?

ਮੈਜੀ॥

Mai jī.

Sir! I am

ਨਾਮਾ॥

Nāmā.

Naam Dayv".

ਹੋਜੀ॥

Ho jī.

O, Lord,

ਆਲਾਤੇਨਿਵਾਰਣਾਜਮਕਾਰਣਾ॥੩॥੪॥

Ālā ṯė nivārṇā jam kārṇā. ||3||4||

please save me from Maya, the cause of death. ||3||4||

ਅਰਥ: ਪਹਿਲਾਂ ਪੁਰਸ਼ (ਅਕਾਲ ਪੁਰਖ) ਪਰਗਟ ਹੋਇਆ {"ਆਪੀਨ੍ਹ੍ਹੈ ਆਪੁ ਸਾਜਿਓ, ਆਪੀਨ੍ਹ੍ਹੈ ਰਚਿਓ ਨਾਉ"}। ਫਿਰ ਅਕਾਲ ਪੁਰਖ ਤੋਂ ਮਾਇਆ (ਬਣੀ) ("ਦੁਯੀ ਕੁਦਰਤਿ ਸਾਜੀਐ")। ਇਸ ਮਾਇਆ ਦਾ ਅਤੇ ਉਸ ਅਕਾਲ ਪੁਰਖ ਦਾ (ਮੇਲ ਹੋਇਆ) ("ਕਰਿ ਆਸਣੁ ਡਿਠੋ ਚਾਉ")। (ਇਸ ਤਰ੍ਹਾਂ ਇਹ ਸੰਸਾਰ) ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦਾ ਇਕ ਸੋਹਣਾ ਜਿਹਾ ਬਾਗ਼ (ਬਣ ਗਿਆ ਹੈ, ਜੋ) ਇਉਂ ਨੱਚ ਰਿਹਾ ਹੈ ਜਿਵੇਂ (ਖੂਹ ਦੀਆਂ) ਟਿੰਡਾਂ ਵਿਚ ਪਾਣੀ ਨੱਚਦਾ ਹੈ (ਭਾਵ, ਸੰਸਾਰ ਦੇ ਜੀਵ ਮਾਇਆ ਵਿਚ ਮੋਹਿਤ ਹੋ ਕੇ ਦੌੜ-ਭੱਜ ਕਰ ਰਹੇ ਹਨ, ਮਾਇਆ ਦੇ ਹੱਥਾਂ ਉੱਤੇ ਨੱਚ ਰਹੇ ਹਨ)।੧।ਰਹਾਉ।

ਪਹਿਲਾਂ ਪਹਿਲ (ਜੋ ਜਗਤ ਬਣਿਆ ਹੈ ਉਹ, ਮਾਨੋ) ਕੌਲ ਫੁੱਲਾਂ ਦਾ ਖੇਤ ਹੈ, ਸਾਰੇ ਜੀਅ ਜੰਤ ਉਸ (ਕੌਲ ਫੁੱਲਾਂ ਦੇ ਖੇਤ) ਦੇ ਹੰਸ ਹਨ। ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦੀ ਇਹ ਰਚਨਾ ਨਾਚ ਕਰ ਰਹੀ ਹੈ। ਇਹ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੀ ਮਾਇਆ (ਦੀ ਪ੍ਰੇਰਨਾ) ਤੋਂ ਸਮਝੋ।੧।

ਇਸਤ੍ਰੀਆਂ ਮਰਦ ਸਭ ਨੱਚ ਰਹੇ ਹਨ, (ਪਰ ਇਹਨਾਂ ਸਭਨਾਂ ਵਿਚ) ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਤੋਂ ਬਿਨਾ ਕੋਈ ਹੋਰ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੈ। (ਹੇ ਭਾਈ! ਇਸ ਵਿਚ) ਸ਼ੱਕ ਨਾ ਕਰ, (ਇਸ ਸੰਬੰਧੀ) ਭਰਮ ਦੂਰ ਕਰ ਦੇਹ। ਹਰੇਕ ਇਸਤ੍ਰੀ-ਮਰਦ ਵਿਚ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦੇ ਬਚਨ ਹੀ ਇੱਕ-ਰਸ ਹੋ ਰਹੇ ਹਨ (ਭਾਵ, ਹਰੇਕ ਜੀਵ ਵਿਚ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਆਪ ਹੀ ਬੋਲ ਰਿਹਾ ਹੈ)।੨।

(ਹੇ ਭਾਈ! ਜੀਵ-) ਟਿੰਡਾਂ ਸੰਸਾਰ-ਸਮੁੰਦਰ ਵਿਚ ਡੁਬਕੀਆਂ ਲੈ ਰਹੀਆਂ ਹਨ। ਹੇ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ! ਭਟਕ ਭਟਕ ਕੇ ਮੈਂ ਤੇਰੇ ਦਰ ਤੇ ਆ ਡਿੱਗਾ ਹਾਂ। ਹੇ (ਪ੍ਰਭੂ) ਜੀ! (ਜੇ ਤੂੰ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਪੁੱਛੇਂ-) ਤੂੰ ਕੌਣ ਹੈਂ? (ਤਾਂ) ਹੇ ਜੀ! ਮੈਂ ਨਾਮਾ ਹਾਂ। ਮੈਨੂੰ ਜਗਤ ਦੇ ਜੰਜਾਲ ਤੋਂ, ਜੋ ਕਿ ਜਮਾਂ (ਦੇ ਡਰ) ਦਾ ਕਾਰਨ ਹੈ, ਬਚਾ ਲੈ।੩, ੪।

ਸ਼ਬਦ ਦਾ ਭਾਵ: ਮਾਇਆ ਦਾ ਪ੍ਰਭਾਵ ਅਤੇ ਇਸ ਦਾ ਇਲਾਜ।

ਇਹ ਸਾਰੀ ਮਾਇਕ ਰਚਨਾ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਤੋਂ ਹੀ ਹੋਈ ਹੈ, ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਸਭ ਵਿਚ ਵਿਆਪਕ ਹੈ। ਪਰ ਜੀਵ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਨੂੰ ਵਿਸਾਰ ਕੇ ਮਾਇਆ ਦੇ ਹੱਥ ਉੱਤੇ ਨੱਚ ਰਹੇ ਹਨ। ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੀ ਸ਼ਰਨ ਪਿਆਂ ਹੀ ਇਸ ਤੋਂ ਬਚੀਦਾ ਹੈ।

English translations don't capture the essence of gurbani basically because english is simply the language of the west, and gurmukhi of the east, when you mix the two you lose alot of the essence of what is being said, the context, history, focus and emphasis of the speech. This is one of the reasons english translations fail to grasp the true meaning of Gurbani. It shows in this shabd especially. While doing vichaar, one of the singhs said, STTM is good for beginners to have a general overlook of what guru sahib is trying to say, but one must go deeper to understand a shabd, do vichaar/santhyaa on the shabds, die in the shabd. Shabd maro jeevat hee jeevo| to go deeper is an experience on its own.

The vichar went to how there's the use of so many different languages in Gurbani, and doing a comparison of bani the message being said by the bhagat sahibans and guru sahibans is the same but there's a difference in the way its being said.

Anyways, this shabd in general is saying that maya and akaal purkh are one, akaal purkh is in everyone and everything, and the only way to emancipation is through giving up maya and falling at the door of akaal purkh, begging to be saved. The thing I found worthy of note is the way this shabd is portraying the message. During the end of the shabd Bhagat ji is saying he's seen maya and the world and he has come to HIS door and he portrays it in the form of a conversation between himself and maharaj saying that he has come to HIS door and for him to save him from maya. I just thought it was interesting to note. Bhul chuk muaf.

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa, Vaheguru ji ki fateh!

eykw mweI jugiq ivAweI iqin cyly prvwxu ]

eaekaa maaee jugath viaaee thin chaelae paravaan ||

The One Divine Mother conceived and gave birth to the three deities.

ieku sMswrI ieku BMfwrI ieku lwey dIbwxu ]

eik sa(n)saaree eik bha(n)ddaaree eik laaeae dheebaan ||

One, the Creator of the World; One, the Sustainer; and One, the Destroyer.

ijv iqsu BwvY iqvY clwvY ijv hovY Purmwxu ]

jiv this bhaavai thivai chalaavai jiv hovai furamaan ||

He makes things happen according to the Pleasure of His Will. Such is His Celestial Order.

Ehu vyKY Enw ndir n AwvY bhuqw eyhu ivfwxu ]

ouhu vaekhai ounaa nadhar n aavai bahuthaa eaehu viddaan ||

He watches over all, but none see Him. How wonderful this is!

Awdysu iqsY Awdysu ]

aadhaes thisai aadhaes ||

I bow to Him, I humbly bow.

Awid AnIlu Anwid Anwhiq jugu jugu eyko vysu ]30]

aadh aneel anaadh anaahath jug jug eaeko vaes ||30||

The Primal One, the Pure Light, without beginning, without end. Throughout all the ages, He is One and the Same. ||30||

this pauri of japji sahib also talks about how creation comes into being.

first there is only akaal purkh as a nirgun saroop. then god creates maya, maya then takes power from akal purkh and makes 3 GUNS (qualities i guess). these are RAJO, TAMO and SATO (i'm not sure what these exactly are yet). from these 3 GUNS, maya creates bharma, vishnu and shiv; responsible for creating, sustaning, and destorying the creation respectively.

now tuk # 3 -> these 3, even though they are so powerful, these 3 still cannot do anything without permission from waheguru. as waheguru wishes, he makes them do accodingly. iqsu refers to waheguru here

tuk # 4 -> waheguru watches over all, but even these all powerful 3 dieties cannot see waheguru. even maya cannot see waheguru and know waheguru.

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?showtopic=21256

This was my childish attempt at an explanation of Rajo/Tamo/Sato.

There are three attributes of Maya; Rajo, Tamo and Sato.

Tamo:

Bad deeds - like murder, slander, thieving, rape etc. Obviously anti-gurmat.

Rajo:

Ambition - the thing which drives us to work harder for promotions, or to earn more and more money. Someone under the influence of this Gunn can easily lapse back into Tamo Gunn because usually ambition will end up in desperation, which may lead to sins being committed in order to achieve higher status.

Sato:

Good Stuff - like giving to charity, being compassionate. Under this Gunn there is not much aspiration for worldly or materialistic things. Most of the religions of the world will fall under this Gunn, teaching people how to live decent, moral lives. Gurmat is probably one of the only ones which talks about a higher level.

The stage above these three is called Turi Avastha. This is when a person is living according to Gursikhi, and does good actions, but always selflessly.

There's probably a lot more to be said about the 4th stage, but I'm not exactly experienced in that area.