Bhagat Sadhna Ji And Accepting The Will Of God

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Bhagat Sadhna is one of the fifteen saints and süfis whose hymns are incorporated in Satguru Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj. He was born in 1180 AD at village Sehwan in Hyderabad Sindh province. By his piety and devotion, he had gained spiritual eminence. He was cremated at Sirhind, in the Punjab, where even today a tomb stands in his memory. He is considered to be a contemporary of Bhagat Namdev, another medieval saint.

Sadhna.jpg

Bhagat Sadhna became wrapped up in the love of God, abandoned everything he possessed, and bent his steps towards the forest to enjoy the uninterrupted Worship of God.

On the way he saw some of his relations at a distance. He concealed himself and avoided them by taking another route in case any of them should put pressure on him to return.

On arriving in the evening at a village, he went into the house of a married man and asked for something to eat. The lady of the house on seeing Bhagat Sadhna Ji young and handsome fell in love with him. She prepared exquisite food for his repast and induced him to stay. At night she proposed to elope with him.

Bhagat Sadhna Ji spurned her, and said he would not do such a thing even though she were to cut his throat for refusing. Understanding by this that, if her hus¬band's throat were cut, Bhagat Sadhna Ji would be ready to accede to her wishes, she forthwith went and killed her husband.

On returning to Bhagat Sadhna Ji she told him what she had done, and repeated her immoral pro¬posal. Bhagat Sadhna Ji replied, 'O unworthy woman, you have lost your reason; how can I agree to what you propose?' In her despair she raised loud cries and invented a false accusation against him:

'I believed this person to be a holy man, and accordingly entertained him. He has now killed my husband, and made improper overtures to me.' Bhagat Sadhna Ji was arrested and taken before a magistrate. When asked what he had to say, he, with the meekness and unwillingness to throw blame on others, pleaded guilty to the charge. He thought to himself, 'Since God has placed me in this position, no one will accept my denial.' He then composed the following hymn :—

Even though You, O God, consign me to hell, I shall not dispute it or turn away from it.

Even though You bestow heaven on me, I shall not rejoice or praise it.

If You reject me, I cannot constrain You; if You accept me, I shall not be puffed up with excessive joy.

He by whom You stand shoulder to shoulder is dyed with You.

Let him whom You order cheerfully burn his body.

My mind desires not death, yet You may, if it please You, put me in the fire.

What the Beloved desires ought to be the heart's desire also.

The judge sentenced Bhagat Sadhna Ji to have his hands cut off. The punishment was duly carried out, and Bhagat Sadhna Ji was then discharged. He set out without a frown on his forehead notwithstanding his barbarous mutilation.

Bhagat Sadhna Ji's devotions proved so successful that it is said, akaal purakh blessed him with new hands which sprouted from his body.

The author of Bhagat Mal has said, 'So efficacious is the love of Waheguru'

Balwinder Kaur Ji, the hymn composed by Bhagat Sadhna in this sakhi is not in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj. Only the hymn which he composed when he was being bricked alive is in ang 858 of Guru Sahib.

bwxI sDny kI rwgu iblwvlu

baanee sadhhanae kee raag bilaavalu

The Word Of Sadhana, Raag Bilaaval:

<> siqgur pRswid ]

ik oa(n)kaar sathigur prasaadh ||

One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

inRp kMinAw ky kwrnY ieku BieAw ByKDwrI ]

nrip ka(n)niaa kae kaaranai eik bhaeiaa bhaekhadhhaaree ||

For a king's daughter, a man disguised himself as Vishnu.

kwmwrQI suAwrQI vw kI pYj svwrI ]1]

kaamaarathhee suaarathhee vaa kee paij savaaree ||1||

He did it for sexual exploitation, and for selfish motives, but the Lord protected his honor. ||1||

qv gun khw jgq gurw jau krmu n nwsY ]

thav gun kehaa jagath guraa jo karam n naasai ||

What is Your value, O Guru of the world, if You will not erase the karma of my past actions?

isMG srn kq jweIAY jau jMbuku gRwsY ]1] rhwau ]

si(n)gh saran kath jaaeeai jo ja(n)buk graasai ||1|| rehaao ||

Why seek safety from a lion, if one is to be eaten by a jackal? ||1||Pause||

eyk bUMd jl kwrny cwiqRku duKu pwvY ]

eaek boo(n)dh jal kaaranae chaathrik dhukh paavai ||

For the sake of a single rain-drop, the rainbird suffers in pain.

pRwn gey swgru imlY Puin kwim n AwvY ]2]

praan geae saagar milai fun kaam n aavai ||2||

When its breath of life is gone, even an ocean is of no use to it. ||2||

pRwn ju Qwky iQru nhI kYsy ibrmwvau ]

praan j thhaakae thhir nehee kaisae biramaavo ||

Now, my life has grown weary, and I shall not last much longer; how can I be patient?

bUif mUey naukw imlY khu kwih cFwvau ]3]

boodd mooeae noukaa milai kahu kaahi chadtaavo ||3||

If I drown and die, and then a boat comes along, tell me, how shall I climb aboard? ||3||

mY nwhI kCu hau nhI ikCu Awih n morw ]

mai naahee kashh ho nehee kishh aahi n moraa ||

I am nothing, I have nothing, and nothing belongs to me.

Aausr ljw rwiK lyhu sDnw jnu qorw ]4]1]

aousar lajaa raakh laehu sadhhanaa jan thoraa ||4||1||

Now, protect my honor; Sadhana is Your humble servant. ||4||1||

Balwinder Kaur Ji, the hymn composed by Bhagat Sadhna in this sakhi is not in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj.  Only the hymn which he composed when he was being bricked alive is in ang 858 of Guru Sahib.

157719[/snapback]

Can you please give refrence from where you found out Bhagat Sadhna composed this shabad while he was being bricked alive.

Balwinder Kaur Ji, the hymn composed by Bhagat Sadhna in this sakhi is not in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj.  Only the hymn which he composed when he was being bricked alive is in ang 858 of Guru Sahib.

157719[/snapback]

Can you please give refrence from where you found out Bhagat Sadhna composed this shabad while he was being bricked alive.

157722[/snapback]

Ravjeet Singh, you've made an account with sikhsangat.com again, welcome back!!!

The Gyani at Bolton Road Gurudwara Sahib Bradford told the sangat this sakhi when he was doing vichar on this shahbad by Bhagat Sadhna Ji. I think that it was on 26th February.

Btw, if you require anymore references for any of the sakhis posted here, most of them will be from our dear Gyani ji.

The beginning of this shahbad is talking about the son of a poor man who heard that a king's daughter wanted to marry Vishnu. This young man then dressed up to look like the God Vishnu. The princess on seeing this youngman fell in love with him.

As time went on, her father's kingdom was attacked by another king, who had an ever larger army and kingdom. When the princess saw the forces of the other king, approaching her father's kingdom she told everyone that she had Vishnu with her and that he would save all the people in her father's kingodom.

The poor man's son who was dressed up as Vishnu, heard what the princess was saying. He got very worried and scared. What could he do, he wasn't the lord vishnu and possessed no power to defend himself let alone a whole kingdom. As a consquence of this, the boy fell to the ground crying and begged the Lord Vishnu to save him and everyone in the kingdom.

The boy prayed with so much devotion and faith and love, that Vishnu listened to his prayers and helped the army of the girl's father defeat the much larger army of the invading king. Vishnu as a result saved all the people of the kingdom, including the boy who begged for his mercy.

This Shahbad is a conversation that Bhagat Sadhna Ji is having with Waheguru about his present situation.

In the first two lines of this shahbad, Bhagat Sadhna Ji is narrating the story above to Waheguru. He is asking Waheguru why he hasn't come to save him when he came and saved the poor man's son:

ਨ੍ਰਿਪ ਕੰਨਿਆ ਕੇ ਕਾਰਨੈ ਇਕੁ ਭਇਆ ਭੇਖਧਾਰੀ ॥

nrip ka(n)niaa kae kaaranai eik bhaeiaa bhaekhadhhaaree ||

For a king's daughter, a man disguised himself as Vishnu.

ਕਾਮਾਰਥੀ ਸੁਆਰਥੀ ਵਾ ਕੀ ਪੈਜ ਸਵਾਰੀ ॥1॥

kaamaarathhee suaarathhee vaa kee paij savaaree ||1||

He did it for sexual exploitation, and for selfish motives, but the Lord protected his honor. ||1||

Waheguru told Bhagat Sadhna Ji that it was written in Bhagat Ji's destiny that he would die this way.

Bhagat Sadhna Ji then repeated the next two lines. In these next two lines Bhagat Ji is asking Waheguru why he did not change his destiny so he wouldn't have to suffer such a horrific death. The lion is a meant to represent Akaal Purakh and the Jackal is a representation of the King who had ordered the execution of Bhagat Sadhna Ji in this way

ਤਵ ਗੁਨ ਕਹਾ ਜਗਤ ਗੁਰਾ ਜਉ ਕਰਮੁ ਨ ਨਾਸੈ ॥

thav gun kehaa jagath guraa jo karam n naasai ||

What is Your value, O Guru of the world, if You will not erase the karma of my past actions?

ਸਿੰਘ ਸਰਨ ਕਤ ਜਾਈਐ ਜਉ ਜੰਬੁਕੁ ਗ੍ਰਾਸੈ ॥1॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

si(n)gh saran kath jaaeeai jo ja(n)buk graasai ||1|| rehaao ||

Why seek safety from a lion, if one is to be eaten by a jackal? ||1||Pause||

Akaal Purakh hearing the pleas of Bhagat Sadhna Ji then told him, that after death he would be given salvation and a place in Sachkhand.

Bhagat Sadhna Ji then replied in the next two lines of the Shahbad

ਏਕ ਬੂੰਦ ਜਲ ਕਾਰਨੇ ਚਾਤ੍ਰਿਕੁ ਦੁਖੁ ਪਾਵੈ ॥

eaek boo(n)dh jal kaaranae chaathrik dhukh paavai ||

For the sake of a single rain-drop, the rainbird suffers in pain.

ਪ੍ਰਾਨ ਗਏ ਸਾਗਰੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਫੁਨਿ ਕਾਮਿ ਨ ਆਵੈ ॥2॥

praan geae saagar milai fun kaam n aavai ||2||

When its breath of life is gone, even an ocean is of no use to it. ||2||

On hearing this Waheguru told his beloved Bhagat Ji to smile and be in chardee kala as he was about to merge with his maker.

Bhagat Ji started to smile at this point and the executioners began to wonder if Bhagat Ji had gone mad. Bhagat Ji on seeing the executioners then loudly uttered the following two lines of the shahbad

ਪ੍ਰਾਨ ਜੁ ਥਾਕੇ ਥਿਰੁ ਨਹੀ ਕੈਸੇ ਬਿਰਮਾਵਉ ॥

praan j thhaakae thhir nehee kaisae biramaavo ||

Now, my life has grown weary, and I shall not last much longer; how can I be patient?

ਬੂਡਿ ਮੂਏ ਨਉਕਾ ਮਿਲੈ ਕਹੁ ਕਾਹਿ ਚਢਾਵਉ ॥3॥

boodd mooeae noukaa milai kahu kaahi chadtaavo ||3||

If I drown and die, and then a boat comes along, tell me, how shall I climb aboard? ||3||

Bhagat Ji then uttered the last two lines of the shahbad just before he went back home

ਮੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਕਛੁ ਹਉ ਨਹੀ ਕਿਛੁ ਆਹਿ ਨ ਮੋਰਾ ॥

mai naahee kashh ho nehee kishh aahi n moraa ||

I am nothing, I have nothing, and nothing belongs to me.

ਅਉਸਰ ਲਜਾ ਰਾਖਿ ਲੇਹੁ ਸਧਨਾ ਜਨੁ ਤੋਰਾ ॥4॥1॥

aousar lajaa raakh laehu sadhhanaa jan thoraa ||4||1||

Now, protect my honor; Sadhana is Your humble servant. ||4||1||

With Gurbani there are many interpretations. Perhaps you could tell us what make of and what you learnt from this particular Shahbad Rsingh?

Bhul Chuk Maaf Karni

• 2 months later...