Sikhi, Congenital Illness, The Disabled...

sissy

firstly i would like to clarify...sikhs believe in reincarnation, yes?

if so....

with regard to reincarnation, i have come across the view that those born with congenital illnesses and/or disabilities (visual, hearing, intellectual) have those problems as a result of something that occurred in their previous life...

using the principles of reincarnation i can understand why this is said, however in itself i find it really hard to deal with and accept...

when i think of waheguru ji, i think of waheguru's pyar and this idea seems rather close to the idea of god providing a form of punishment (assuming that one views illness and disability as less preferable than a healthy human body)...

one could argue that waheguru ji is not punishing people with illness etc but is allowing people to experience this to provide their soul and others with a particular experience which will make them value the human body and mind more...

but since hearing this view i have feel a bit disturbed...through personal relationships and (moreso) work i know many people that are physically disabled, have epilepsy and learning disabilities that require them to live in a residential home....and i find it hard to think that they are in that situation because they may have sinned in a previous life or something!!!???!!! and i would guess that they had done something quite significant to be reincarnated with things like learning disabilities....

also, if it is true in sikhi that one can be reincarnated with illness/disability as a result of past sins, doesn't this create a fear of sinning and God?....one should not fear sinning and God...one should understand what is right and wrong and shouldt trust that no matter what one chooses - right or wrong - waheguru ji will always be there to enlighten us and guide us to what is good and right...

sorry if i have hurt anyone's feelings with this topic...it is quite sensitive, especially if you know people who are disabled in any way...but that is precisely why i had to ask about it.....

sorry for the essay and if i have been unclear anywhere...stream of conciousness!

:TH: Penji very good topic. Thanks for asking it. (nothin to be sorry about).

I am sure some Gursikhs on the forum will be able to help with some answers or Gurmat Vichaar regarding the topic.

to my little knowledge of Gurbaani and Gurmat - Waheguru does not punish us.

"Hukamai Andar Sabh Ko, Baahar Hukam Naa Koye... Everyone is under/in the Hukam of Waheguru, No-one is outside of the Waheguru's Hukam"
(from Japji Sahib)

What is Hukam?

Hukam (to my knowledge) = ACTION & REACTION LAW (the Law of Karma)

- the laws of physics, laws of nature are also part of the Laws of Waheguru (part of the Hukam).

Japji Sahib tells us:

"Aape Beej, Ape Hee Kaahu.  Naanak Hukamee Aavho Jaaho."

... As you sow you shall reap.  Nanak says according to "Waheguru's Hukam" (note: discussed above) we come and go (in reincarnation)"

"Karmee Aavai Kapraa. Nadree Mokh Duaar"

... According to our "Karma" we obtain this physical human body.  With Waheguru's Nadar (Grace) one gets to the door of liberation (i.e. you soul is liberated from birth and death and one becomes One with Waheguru)

In a way we all affected by disease and illness - to what degree and how we cope/understand/challenge the disease and illness may vary to our spiritual and mental level.

<_< hope someone has a better understanding - or can put some light on the issue.

a friend told me once...that people who suffer are the ones who have done very bad things in their previous lives. imagine the people who killed all the gursikhs during our dark history, or the people who slaughtered jews in the world war. they are paying the price, to balance out what they have done...if you understand wot i mean.