Reopen some cases: Nanavati

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh !

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2005/20050421/main2.htm

Reopen some cases: Nanavati

Murali Krishnan

New Delhi, April 20

Retired Supreme Court judge G.T. Nanavati, who probed the anti-Sikh riots of 1984, has asked the government to reopen cases against a “few politicians” saying investigation against them was not “properly carried out”.

“Some of the cases were not probed properly and it needs re-examination,” Nanavati, who presented his 185-page report on the killings in February, told IANS in an interview.

Speaking out for the first time since submitting his report, the man who is also heading the commission investigating the Gujarat riots of 2002, however, refused to name the cases that he thought required a fresh probe.

“I have submitted my report to the government. It is up to the government to act,” the 70-year-old justice said.

In its five-year tenure, the Nanavati Commission examined many Congress party leaders, including Union Minister Jagdish Tytler, former Prime Minister P.V. Narasimha Rao, former Central Minister Vasant Sathe and Sajjan Kumar, MP.

Former minister H.K.L. Bhagat was also linked to the riots that followed the assassination of Indira Gandhi by her Sikh bodyguards here on October 31, 1984. Nearly 3,000 Sikhs were killed in the violence.

Bhagat did not appear before the Commission, citing poor health.

Significantly, three earlier panels set up by the government — Jain-Banerjee Committee, Poti-Rosha Committee and Jain-Aggarwal Committee — had recommended that cases be registered against Sajjan Kumar.

On the question of whether the riots were organised, Nanavati said: “It was planned to the extent that Sikh houses were identified and targeted. The rioters knew their houses.”

He dismissed suggestions that the riots were “pre-planned”.

Sources in the Commission, however, pointed out that the evidence presented did “indicate a pattern in which the riots took place” and a “pattern in which the attacks” took place against the Sikhs.

Nanavati, who is also probing the post-Godhra Gujarat riots along with retired justice K.G. Shah, further pointed out that there was dereliction of duty on the part of Delhi Police.

“Yes, there was dereliction of duty but some police officers have either been suspended or punished.”

Nanavati submitted his report to Home Minister Shivraj Patil in February this year.

While Volume I of his report details the discussions of events in the aftermath of Gandhi’s killing, Volume II covers the evidence presented before the Commission.

The government has promised to table the Nanavati report along with an Action Taken Report (ATR) in the current budget session of parliament.

The Commission, set up in May 2002 by the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) government, was asked to go into the causes and course of the riots targeting Sikhs and find out if the riots could have been averted and whether they took place on account of any lapses or dereliction of duty.

Nanavati was also required to inquire into the adequacy of administrative measures taken to deal with the violence. — IANS

http://www.punjabjustice.org

http://www.witness84.com

http://www.carnage84.com

http://www.ensaaf.org

http://www.shrg.org

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• Topics

• Umm, that's totally irrational, bro. There are plenty of prakash-dara Singhs in Punjab (less than we'd like, but still plenty). No one cares that you are sabat soorat. It isn't 1986. You can walk around in chola, kurta-pajama, or jeans. Whatever. If you want the look @dallysingh101 is referring to, just go into a cheap clothing shop (not a Western-style mall) and buy some shirts for 250 rupees or a track suit for 2000 rupees. You'll get the cheap stuff made in some sweatshop in Bombay.
    • The Mind is Jyot Saroop (Waheguru), but the mind is under the influence of five evils… Through Naam Simran( Rememberance), the mind will begin to detach from evil, and get back to its original form ( MANN TU JYOT SAROOP HEH)… Until the mind breaks free from the five evils, one will go through the cycle of paap and punn….which leads to Karma… Naam Simran destroys past karma, and prevents new karma coming into fruition… I did this, I did that… This non realisation of the Jyot Saroop gives rise to paap and Punn, which in turn gives birth to suffering and misery…
    • I agree we're not born with sin like the Christians think. Also I agree we have effects of karma. But Gurbani does state that the body contains both sin and charity (goodness): ਕਾਇਆ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਪਾਪੁ ਪੁੰਨੁ ਦੁਇ ਭਾਈ ॥ Within the body are the two brothers sin and virtue. p126 Actually, we do need to be saved. Gurbani calls this "udhaar" (uplift). Without Satguru, souls are liable to spiritual death: ਜਿਨਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨ ਭੇਟਿਓ ਸੇ ਭਾਗਹੀਣ ਵਸਿ ਕਾਲ ॥ p40 Those who have not met Satguru Purakh are unfortunate and liable to death. So, yeah, we do need to be saved, and Guru ji does the saving. The reason Satguru is the one to save is because God has given Satguru the "key" (kunji): ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਹਥਿ ਕੁੰਜੀ ਹੋਰਤੁ ਦਰੁ ਖੁਲੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਗੁਰੁ ਪੂਰੈ ਭਾਗਿ ਮਿਲਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੭॥ In the True Guru's hand is the key. None else can open the door. By perfect good fortune the Guru is met. p124
    • That's unfortunate to hear. Could you give any more information? Who was this "baba"? He just disappeared with people's money? Obviously, you should donate your money to known institutions or poor people that you can verify the need of through friends and family in Punjab.
    • Sangat ji,  I know a family who went Sevewal to do seva sometimes end of 2019. They returned last year in great dismay and heart broken.  To repent for their mistakes they approached panj pyaare. The Panj gave them their punishment / order to how t make it up which, with Kirpa, they fulfilled.  They were listening to a fake Baba who, in the end, took all the "Donations " and fled sometime over a year ago. For nearly 4 years this family (who are great Gursikhs once u get to know them) wasted time and effort for this fake Baba. NOT ONLY this one fam. But many, many did worldwide and they took their fam to do seva, in village Sevewal, city Jaitho in Punjab. In the end many families lost money in thousands being behind this Baba. The family, on return, had to get in touch with all the participants and told them to stop.  I am stating this here to create awareness and we need to learn from whom we follow and believe. It's no easy but if we follow the 3 S (Sangat, Simran and Seva) we will be shown the light. As I am writing this the family in question have been doing the same since 2008 onwards and they fell for this Baba... it is unbelievable and shocking.  This am writing in a nutshell as am at work on my break so not lengthy but it deserves a great length.  Especially the family in question, who shed light on youngsters about Sikhi 20 plus years!! 

Important Information

Terms of Use