Sikh Artifiacts in UK

desilad

Waheguru Ji Ka Khasla

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

All

Someone was telling me that there are the following sikh artifiacts in the UK. These are:

1. Dashmesh Pita Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji's Kalgi

2. Maharaja Ranjit Singh's Chair.

Does anyone knows where these are and how can I go and visit them. Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks

Waheguru Ji Ka Khasla

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

The Victoria and Albert Museum in London, has hundreds of sikh artefacts. for the 300th anniversary for the khalsa they displayed many items, and im sure there was other things of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Jis ther aswell.

nearly all of the artefacts are kept in the vaults below the museum, wher people can not see these wonderful artefacts on a regular basis. 1 thing i give credit to the goras is that they look after and preserve stuff (even if it has nothing to do with ther history, culture or timeline), the bad side is that they are reluctant to give back those things that they have taken from other countries, cultures and religions.

imagine the effect seeing those artefacts in a gurdwara (well preserved and secure etc) would have on the youth of 2day, seeing what ther fore-fathers lived and died for, because its 1 thing reading about the past and history, but its another thing seeing it in front of ur eyes.

The Victoria and Albert Museum in London, has hundreds of sikh artefacts. for the 300th anniversary for the khalsa they displayed many items, and im sure there was other things of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Jis ther aswell.

nearly all of the artefacts are kept in the vaults below the museum, wher people can not see these wonderful artefacts on a regular basis. 1 thing i give credit to the goras is that they look after and preserve stuff (even if it has nothing to do with ther history, culture or timeline), the bad side is that they are reluctant to give back those things that they have taken from other countries, cultures and religions.

imagine the effect seeing those artefacts in a gurdwara (well preserved and secure etc) would have on the youth of 2day, seeing what ther fore-fathers lived and died for, because its 1 thing reading about the past and history, but its another thing seeing it in front of ur eyes.

95335[/snapback]

If you mean giving the items back to Gurdwara in India you must be joking. In India there is a lot of apathy towards most historical things. The items they have are not cared for very well so kudos to the goras for keeping our historical items in good condition.

Just looking at Gurdwara in India we can see the neglect. The only decent museum setup I have seen in Indian Gurdwara was the recent show at Bangla Sahib. The items were displayed professionally. Just a shame the show was not on for longer.

Go to Gobindgarh fort and the Ram Bagh gardens in Amritsar to see the country bumpkin attitude that prevails when it comes to looking after our history.

Take a walk around Harmandir Sahib and you will notice the neglect and apathy. I attach some pictures I took a few weeks ago from the upper levels of the Darbar Sahib. As you can see there is crumbling plaster, badly worn/faded pictures. Knowing how things work no doubt some kar seva wala will bang on a few bathroom tiles. Considering the SGPC has crores of rupees to spend it would be nice if they got some experts in to sort these problems out. I am surprised the Soho Road wale have not offered to fund expert restoration of the upper floors. The Gold plating work they did was not even needed, nor the mooted gate change of the Darshani Deori which has now been put on hold.

I dont thank the goras for much but I thank them for keeping our heritage safe even if in their climate controlled museum vaults.

post-2624-1114199166.jpg

post-2624-1114199187.jpg

post-2624-1114199202.jpg