http://panthic.org/news/129/ARTICLE/1306/2...efcc4b065f9f2e9

The Sikh Kirpaan

by Manvir Singh Khalsa

Kierpan.jpg

'Are you carrying a weapon?'

'You are wearing a dagger!"

'Is it legal for you to carry that knife?'

No one knows what the Kirpan is.

These are some questions posed by non-Sikhs to Sikhs who wear the Kirpaan.

'Kirpaan' derives from two words.

'Kirpaa' means 'mercy' and 'kindness'.

'Aan' means 'honour' and 'dignity'.

The Kirpan is a tool of mercy to upkeep dignity of others.

The Kirpan represents honour and justice.

The Kirpan is the manifestation of Vaheguru's virtues of protecting the weak, upholding righteousness and destroying tyranny and negativity.

ਨਮਸਤਯੰ ਨਮਸਤਯੰ ਨਮਸਤਯੰ ਭਵਾਨੀ॥ ਸਦਾ ਰਾਖਿ ਲੈ ਮੁਹਿ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਕੈ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਨੀ।37॥256॥

"I salute Thee again and again, O the manifestation of the sword! Protect me ever with Thy Grace.37.256." (Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji, P. 295, Dasam Granth)

I keep telling everybody:

"This is not a knife, which you would use to cut food and objects.

This is not an offensive weapon used to murder innocent people.

This is not a dagger or sword, for this can only be worn by those who will use it to defend, protect and upkeep truth and justice.

The Kirpan is a religious article of faith part of the Sikh uniform."

"Why are Sikhs required to wear the Kirpan as their uniform" people ask?

"How can a peace-loving person wear a Kirpan?" others say.

Sikhs are saints who see the all-pervading Vaheguru in all the Creation and in every human being.

Sikhs are warriors, who are army of Vaheguru, willing to die to defend the weak.

Sikhs are healers, who live a message of peace, love and understanding.

ਸਵੈਯਾ ॥ ਦੇਹ ਸਿਵਾ ਬਰ ਮੋਹਿ ਇਹੈ ਸੁਭ ਕਰਮਨ ਤੇ ਕਬਹੂੰ ਨ ਟਰੋਂ ॥ ਨ ਡਰੋਂ ਅਰਿ ਸੋ ਜਬ ਜਾਇ ਲਰੋਂ ਨਿਸਚੈ ਕਰ ਆਪਨੀ ਜੀਤ ਕਰੋਂ ॥ ਅਰੁ ਸਿਖ ਹੋ ਆਪਨੇ ਹੀ ਮਨ ਕੌ ਇਹ ਲਾਲਚ ਹਉ ਗੁਨ ਤਉ ਉਚਰੋਂ ॥ ਜਬ ਆਵ ਕੀ ਅਉਧ ਨਿਧਾਨ ਬਨੈ ਅਤ ਹੀ ਰਨ ਮੈ ਤਬ ਜੂਝ ਮਰੋਂ ॥231॥

"O Lord God, grant me this boon that I may not hesitate from performing good actions. That I may fight without fear of foes, And with firm resolve claim victory. May the directive of thy glory guide my mind, and my highest ambition be to sing thy praises. When the end of my life comes, then I may die fighting in the battlefield.231." (Guru Gobind Singh Ji, P. 240 Dasam Granth)

ਏਕ ਦ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਸਭ ਸਮ ਕਰਿ ਜਾਣੈ ਨਦਰੀ ਆਵੈ ਸਭੁ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਪਸਰਈਆ ॥7॥

"With a single, impartial eye, look upon all alike, and see God pervading all. ||7||" (Ang 833, SGGS)

ਏਕ ਜੋਤਿ ਏਕੋ ਮਨਿ ਵਸਿਆ ਸਭ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਦ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਇਕੁ ਕੀਜੈ ॥

"The One, the Light of the One, abides within my mind; God, the One, is seen in all." (Ang 1325, SGGS)

ਸਰਬ ਨਿਰੰਤਰਿ ਸੋ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਜਾਤਾ ਬਹੁੜਿ ਨ ਜੋਨੀ ਭਰਮਿ ਰੁਨਾ ॥9॥

"One who realizes God pervading deep within all, does not wander crying in reincarnation again. ||9||" (Ang 1097, SGGS)

Sikhs are the defenders of India who saved the honour of Indian girls enslaved by the Mughal invaders.

Sikhs are the protectors of righteousness who died and fought in foreign lands in the two world wars.

Sikhs are the guardians of truth and honour who live a character of high morals, and are a living image of the Nanak Guru Gobind Singh.

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਅਕਾਲ ਪੁਰਖ ਕੀ ਫ਼ੌਜ ॥ ਪ੍ਰਗਟਿਓ ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਪ੍ਰਮਾਤਮ ਕੀ ਮੌਜ ॥

"Khalsa is the army of the Immortal Lord. Khalsa has appeared at the pleasure of the Supreme Being." (Guru Gobind Singh Ji, Sarbloh Granth)

Cunning ones say, "If you are allowed to wear a sword because it is your religion, then I could carry a gun and say that it is part of my religion."

Ignorant people say, "The Kirpaan is not applicable to modern society. Sikhs should move with the times."

Misguided Sikhs say, "How will a Kirpan protect you, the 5th K, article of faith, should be modified to be a pistol or gun."

"I think you are mistaken", I say to them all.

"Sikhs are the army of Akaal Purakh, who have been given a divine mission. The Sikhs have lived this message and they have earned the respect of all those who have seen their way of life and principles.

Sikhi is a religion of the Modern World. In a world of intolerance, injustice, and war, the Kirpaan represents that which is most needed in Modern society that is truth & justice.

My Kirpan is not an offensive weapon but a protective weapon, used not to attack people, but to defend them. Using a gun, one could indiscriminantly shoot innocent people and passer-bys; however a Kirpan is for close-range use at intentional target, in rare extenuating circumstances and as a last resort when peaceful means fail."

I explain,

"My Kirpaan is a symbol of grace, dignity and honour."

"My Kirpaan is part of my Saint-Warrior uniform bestowed upon me by my Father."

"My Kirpan is a manifestation of the Vaheguru, which reminds us all of our responsibility to humanity."

ਭੈ ਕਾਹੂ ਕਉ ਦੇਤ ਨਹਿ ਨਹਿ ਭੈ ਮਾਨਤ ਆਨ ॥ ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਸੁਨਿ ਰੇ ਮਨਾ ਗਿਆਨੀ ਤਾਹਿ ਬਖਾਨਿ ॥16॥

"One who does not frighten anyone, and who is not afraid of anyone else – says Nanak, listen, mind: call him spiritually wise. ||16||" (Ang 1427, SGGS)

"I see! That is amazing!" says one person.

"Fair enough, I am sorry" says the cunning person.

"We have a beautiful religion, a great gift given to us and we are so lucky to be blessed with such a gift and honour" says the Sikh who was led astray.

Don't hide your faith and identity, learn from it, live it and share it with the world.

Don't be ashamed of the gifts the Guru has bestowed upon you; walk with your head held high.

Remember brothers and sisters your image is the manifestation of Guru Gobind Singh Singh Ji & Mata Sahib Kaur, you are the Khalsa who serves the world, helps humanity and defends truth.

ਸ਼ਸਤ੍ਰਹੀਨ ਇਹ ਕਬਹੂੰ ਨ ਹੋਈ ॥ ਰਹਿਤਵੰਤ ਖਾਲਸ ਹੈ ਸੋਈ ॥

He who never abandons his weapon (Kirpaan). Recognise them as the disciplined and pure Khalsa. (Rehatnama Bhai Desa Singh)

ਖਾਲਸਾ ਮੇਰੋ ਰੂਪ ਹੈ ਖਾਸ॥ ਖਾਲਸੇ ਮਹਿ ਹੌ ਕਰੌ ਨਿਵਾਸ॥

'The Khalsa is my distinct image. Within the Khalsa I reside.'

(Guru Gobind Singh Ji, Sarbloh Granth)

Be inspired and inspire others.

May Vaheguru bless you.

manvir.khalsa@gmail.com

Guest guppy

nice article very nice! :TH: you get alot of ppl asking all these questions n dat! n they a :) are sometimes always judgemental..da odd few r cool! n they fink its cool! :) ..but it soooooooo much meanin behind it, aint jus ne old dagger/sword/bora/blade etc etc but once you explain 2 ppl the meanin n stuff they get the jist of it n its cool, its jus bout tryna get em 2 undastand which is da long bit!! rolleyes.gifwacko.gif

by da way...that is one beautiful kirpan! (the picture) nebody know where i can get a nice kirpan's like that from UK????? cheers! :e: