Justice or Hukkham

This is a problem that has always plagued me:-

We are supposed to seek justice & be courageous and yet at the same time be content in accepting the will of Akaal Purakh ji.

Where do you draw the line? Some tell me there is no line as everything is in His hukkham as Gurbani says this- accept it and move on, others say get justice. If an injustice occurred i don't know if i could accept everything as His hukkham. Others say an inability to accept God's will is based on your own personal fears.

Guru ki pyari sangat ji i'd appreciate your thoughts...

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

This is a tough question, one which has always "plagued" me as well.

I read this somewhere once, although I can't remember exactly how it went, but it was an Ardaas to Waheguroo something along the lines of:

"Waheguroo, please grant me the understanding, so that I can accept Your will when things cannot be changed. But if things can be changed, please can't grant me with the Bakhshish to be able to implement such change, as per Your Hukam."

It's still a tough call ... but I guess this saying made me realise that if you do sincere Ardaas to Waheguroo and contemplate Him within, your Aatma will guide you to the righteous path, as to what must be accepted and what actions should be taken or issues challenged.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Waheguroo

WaheguruJi Ka Khalsa. WaheguruJi Ki Fateh.

KhalsaJi,

If we look back at the very beginning when Sikhism took birth, justice and Hukam have gone hand-in-hand with time and deed. To bear injustice is in itself a greater crime. Before the birth of Guru Nanak Dev Ji, Mughal tyranny was at its peak and it is in that dark age when a man of God came amongst the suffering masses to lead them through it. But it all began with him - Guru Nanak Dev Ji. He practiced first. He refused to be pushed over by meaningless rituals of the faith he was born in and by the injustices of the Mughals. His approach was that of love and Truth. No one could challenge a man of such ideals. When love and Truth led to little change in the hearts of both the oppressors and the oppressed, it eventually led to applying extreme measures, when the Khalsa was born and the image of the Sikh of Guru Nanak became the very soldier - and saint - of Akaal Purakh.

What happened in the course of Sikh history, for example, was a combination of word and deed of not just one man's ideals, principles and disciplines, but of a whole new faith and it all added up to reveal the Hukam of Waheguru - the Hindu faith was saved, the yoke of Mughal tyranny was broken and a new faith was born. When other actions that are contrary to the Laws of God continue to rule the day, those involved in it also reap what they sow. What we reap is the Hukam. Deed may also determine Hukam, because when we speak of Hukam in relation to man, it is man's duty to put in his bit - otherwise his coming into this world of no use.

Justice, and injustice, are born of deed. Deed is the seed of Hukam. When we ourselves do justice unto ourself first, then only justice will prevail in community and country. Hukam is the final say of God in what we have enacted in. When we fail to take action in something, its outcome is what we call Hukam. When we take action in something, even in that, its outcome is what Hukam will be. Hukam is revealed though what we do, or don't do.

Guru Nanak Dev Ji and all the other successor 9 Gurus of the Sikhs proved, though example of their own lives, that no matter what the world thinks is right or wrong, it is imperative that one follows one's own inner voice and do what is right. Justice begins with you and Hukam begins from there. In reality, Hukam is already proclaimed, way before the deed is done and that's where we all get baffled on exactly what our role is afterall. But . . . we still need to do our deed . . . we will never understand how the Cosmic Drama works, but it is within Hukam that we do our deed in the first place.

To do justice, we first need to acknowledge the Hukam of Akaal Purakh - humble ourselves and live within Hukam, earn an honest living and then will we be able to invite justice unto not only our own self, but unto the entire mankind . . .

If you face injustice, you must be aware of Truth then. If Truth is known to you, then live in it. Living in Truth will give you the strength and blessing to face injustice. Accepting the Hukam of God also means accepting the consequences of standing up for it. What becomes of us in doing so is also all part of Hukam. So, play your part, do what is right and the Hukam is what you will see all around you . . . That is all that is required of us . . . the rest, leave it to God.

WaheguruJi Ka Khalsa. WaheguruJi Ki Fateh.