Did You Have A Productive Day?

I was asked by a friend. “Do you ever feel like your day was not productive enough? That you could have done more?” My answer. “Always!”. It seems like these days are going by too fast. I remember when I was younger, the days lasted forever. Now it seems, I’ve just gotten up…now I’m ready for bed!

I have this “to do” list. I think this list has continually grown, and things just don’t get done on it. Why have it? To make it seem like I’m going to have a productive day. Because this “to do” list keeps on growing, I’m actually getting overwhelmed by it. It never comes to an end!

This is why so many people you see these days are so stressed out. It’s almost like they are working to make ends meet. Children these days have so many extra curricular activities, that you find yourself involved in those as well. Then you have your family demands at home. It’s never ending. WE HAVE NO CONTROL!

What should we do? We need to control what is important vs what is not so important. We need to evaluate what is a necessity, and what is just a want. This way, we will get more done, feel more productive, and in probably half the time.

What is important? What is necessary? What are our values? How can we go about achieving all of these in our lives? By getting rid of our wants. I want to do this…I want this…

Number one person you should look after is yourself. What do you need in your life? Then the rest fall into place: Mother, Father, Husband, Wife, Children, Co-Workers etc. Then you have to wonder, I have this list, now who comes first on this list. Prioritize. Does this mean that any one of them has more value than others? No. This will answer questions like: Where do you find yourself spending the most time? Is it really needed there?

Once you start to have more control in your life, you develop an inner peace, contentment. What your appearance is on the outside reflects what you feel in the inside. If you maintain a positive outlook, you will always be perceived as positive, but if you have a negative outlook, no matter what you do, you will always be perceived as being negative. What is the key to this? Your self-esteem. If you feel good about yourself, it will reflect on your behavior, and reversely, if you’re always negative and don’t feel good about yourself, that will reflect in your behavior.

We need to balance our lives. In order to do that, what I did was give my number one priority to the One that I neglected. Many of you might be wondering. She has listed off everything that is important to her life, but she didn’t mention God. That is because He was never on my “to do” list. He was never a priority. People in my life seemed more important. Events in my life seemed more important. He was the One I neglected.

Now, everything in my life revolves around Him. He is my NUMBER ONE priority. So when the question is going to be asked, “Do you ever feel like your day was not productive enough? That you could have done more?” My question to you will be, “Did you remember God?”

Remember, one step towards Him, He comes a thousand steps closer to you!

Awsw mhlw 5 ]

AMqir gwvau bwhir gwvau gwvau jwig svwrI ]

Inwardly, I sing His Praises, and outwardly, I sing His Praises; I sing His Praises while awake and asleep.

sMig cln kau qosw dIn@w goibMd nwm ky ibauhwrI ]1]

I am a trader in the Name of the Lord of the Universe; He has given it to me as my supplies, to carry with me. ||1||

Avr ibswrI ibswrI ]

I have forgotten and forsaken other things.

nwm dwnu guir pUrY dIE mY eyho AwDwrI ]1] rhwau ]

The Perfect Guru has given me the Gift of the Naam; this alone is my Support. ||1||Pause||

dUKin gwvau suiK BI gwvau mwrig pMiQ sm@wrI ]

I sing His Praises while suffering, and I sing His Praises while I am at peace as well. I contemplate Him while I walk along the Path.

nwm idRVu guir mn mih dIAw morI iqsw buJwrI ]2]

The Guru has implanted the Naam within my mind, and my thirst has been quenched. ||2||

idnu BI gwvau rYnI gwvau gwvau swis swis rsnwrI ]

I sing His Praises during the day, and I sing His Praises during the night; I sing them with each and every breath.

sqsMgiq mih ibswsu hoie hir jIvq mrq sMgwrI ]3]

In the Sat Sangat, the True Congregation, this faith is established, that the Lord is with us, in life and in death. ||3||

jn nwnk kau iehu dwnu dyhu pRB pwvau sMq ryn auir DwrI ]

Bless servant Nanak with this gift, O God, that he may obtain, and enshrine in his heart, the dust of the feet of the Saints.

sRvnI kQw nYn drsu pyKau msqku gur crnwrI ]4]2]122]

Hear the Lord's Sermon with your ears, and behold the Blessed Vision of His Darshan with your eyes; place your forehead upon the Guru's Feet. ||4||2||122||

Did you have a productive day?