Please Respond, I Could Really Use Some Help

Guest grandcannon

Guest grandcannon

Hey, my name is david and I'm kinda in a tough situation right now. I am a young man who lives in my parents house. My entire family are very devoted christians. I recently began to question my faith. I was attracted to a very large number of religions, but always felt let down after I learned more about them. Early on, I looked into sikhism, but drew back when I read about the five k's, because they seemed 'wierd' to me. After a long time and alot of let downs, I decided to look at sikhism again. The more I learned, the more ecstatic I became. I was so excited. I thought "could this really be it?" I am now sure that I have found the truth, but I really want to learn more. But I really need help, because this is kinda hard for me. It is kinda depressing to know that I can probably never tell my parents about my feelings toward sikhism. I have do have a few questions that I could use some help on. Does anyone know where I can find a free version of the Pritam Singh Chahil translation? I have read some of it and it is really easy to understand. The only ones I can find for free on the internet are hard to read and understand, and are often in somewhat archaic english. Are there any reasons for having the Keysh besides symbolic ones? Was Nanak the 'first' sikh? Does a sikh have to learn gurmuki? Please respond, my email is grandcannon@gmail.com (gmail rocks). I could really use your help.

A young man in search of the truth

PS Thanks so much for your replies to my first post. You have no idea how encouraging it is to recieve such warm thanks from people I dont even know. Thank you so much.

Gurfateh!!

Hi, Guru Nanak Dev Ji was not the first Sikh, Dharam(faith) has existed since man could begin to comprehend why he was created, this is when man started having faith in God.

Since then mankind has been learning and will continue to learn the word Sikh literally means learner, therefore no matter what religion you believe in or even if you do not hold a religion you are still learning. God has put us down in this life with different religions being a Gursikh( one who learns from the Sikh Gurus) i can not say that Christianity, Hinduism, Islaam etc. is right or wrong as all have been created by God and what He decides to do is always right.

Every human has the same fundamental questions about life, ie. where did we come from? is there life after death??

This is when we begin to have faith in God or some may lose faith is God, but the aim of all monotheistic religions is to be one with God after death.

Since all of mankind is in the same boat we are all Sikhs trying to get to the same place, just via different means.

Like i have mentioned a Gursikh is a Sikh who follows the 10 Guru's teachings and ways of life which are all within our eternal Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaaj.

I hope this helps slightly if you understood, this is my own opinion.

Bhul Chuk Maaf!

Gurfateh!!

Hey, my name is david and I'm kinda in a tough situation right now. I am a young man who lives in my parents house. My entire family are very devoted christians. I recently began to question my faith. I was attracted to a very large number of religions, but always felt let down after I learned more about them. Early on, I looked into sikhism, but drew back when I read about the five k's, because they seemed 'wierd' to me. After a long time and alot of let downs, I decided to look at sikhism again. The more I learned, the more ecstatic I became. I was so excited. I thought "could this really be it?" I am now sure that I have found the truth, but I really want to learn more. But I really need help, because this is kinda hard for me. It is kinda depressing to know that I can probably never tell my parents about my feelings toward sikhism. I have do have a few questions that I could use some help on. Does anyone know where I can find a free version of the Pritam Singh Chahil translation? I have read some of it and it is really easy to understand. The only ones I can find for free on the internet are hard to read and understand, and are often in somewhat archaic english. Are there any reasons for having the Keysh besides symbolic ones? Was Nanak the 'first' sikh? Does a sikh have to learn gurmuki? Please respond, my email is grandcannon@gmail.com (gmail rocks). I could really use your help.

A young man in search of the truth

PS Thanks so much for your replies to my first post. You have no idea how encouraging it is to recieve such warm thanks from people I dont even know. Thank you so much.

142106[/snapback]

wow...thas cool bro.

david, the internet is great! lol....i still learn so much from it. Sikhnet has a lot of useful information and there many inspiring poeple here on sikh sangat....ask whatever you want to any of us.

Its great if a sikh can learn gurmukhi many dont know it at first, you can look up translaiton on sites like sikhi to the max....for help until you can learn from a teacher.

So are you saying that people have been trying to understand god forever but nanak was the first one to 'figure it out.?

142125[/snapback]

welcome david ... my advice would be dont try to get too much into knowledge just yet. if you want to learn about god then remember him and eh will bestow all the knowledge you want according to your efforts.

try to get up early as possible (some devotees will get up like 1am) but be sensible and see what you can manage. sit in a quiet room and repeat

" wa - heh - guu - ruu" that one word in 4 sections to make it esy for you. this means "oh wonderful lord" .... contiune to repat this and focus your mind on one god, feel him inside you adn outside you, feel the energy everywhere. repeat this as much as you can walkign aroudn in the day etc. this word "gurmantar" was bestowed by the gurus to the world. and while doing this read translations of the scriptures and read scriptures as much as you can.

furthemore go to the gurdwara, bow to guru granth sahib jee "holy scriptures" and in the most humble way ask to be shown the truth about the almighty, i ahev no doubt guru granth sahib jee will guide you. good luck

So are you saying that people have been trying to understand god forever but nanak was the first one to 'figure it out.?

142125[/snapback]

Gurfateh!!

Hey David, i agree with das_1 veer jis post and you should perhaps try doing as he suggested, but in answer to your question Guru Nanak Dev Ji, i don't believe was the first to 'figure it out' Guru Nanak Dev Ji bought light in a time of darkness, i believe throughout time there have been people who have been connected to God and have followed the right path, i believe the likes of Jesus spead the right message,not that he was 'the Son of God' but that we are all equal. I believe Guru Nanak Dev Ji laid the foundations for a way of life which is perfect and has help to show us the right path to God.

A Gursikh would never criticise anyones religions or beliefs and would should say to a christian be a better christian and the same to members of all religions.

Bhul Chuk Maaf!!

Gurfateh!!