Wireless Network

Jitty

I have recently set up a wirless connection and would like to be able to access the hard drive on my desktop from my laptop. I have tried changing the sharing and security setting on the desktop but still have no idea how to access it from the laptop.

Can anyone provide me with a step by step guide?

Thanks in advance

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

I'm assuming you are using Windows XP for both computers.

What you do is that you create a new network group (under "My Network Places", something other than the default "MS_HOME". Then you have to look under the my computer properties for the NAME that you have given each computer (you can name it whatever you want, like "DESKTOPHOME" or "MYLAPTOP". Npw if you have set up the new network thing correctly, on your desktop computer click on the folder(s) you want to share and right click it, go to the sharing tab, and allow sharing.

Now if you go to the my network places on the laptop, a folder icon should be there for each folder you allow to be shared. Alternatively, you can go to "run" from the Start menu and type in "//DESKTOPHOME" or whatever the name is, and a folder will show up showing all the folders you can access from your laptop.

Good luck!

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

I'm assuming you are using Windows XP for both computers.

What you do is that you create a new network group (under "My Network Places", something other than the default "MS_HOME". Then you have to look under the my computer properties for the NAME that you have given each computer (you can name it whatever you want, like "DESKTOPHOME" or "MYLAPTOP". Npw if you have set up the new network thing correctly, on your desktop computer click on the folder(s) you want to share and right click it, go to the sharing tab, and allow sharing.

Now if you go to the my network places on the laptop, a folder icon should be there for each folder you allow to be shared. Alternatively, you can go to "run" from the Start menu and type in "//DESKTOPHOME" or whatever the name is, and a folder will show up showing all the folders you can access from your laptop.

Good luck!

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

155072[/snapback]

Thank you very much for this. I will try it out straight away