Sikhs In The Uk Conference 2006

tinakaur

Dear Prem,

I remember reading that same article and it was the one i was referring to when i said the allegations of militant/extremist links of the Sikh Federation (UK) had been made by other Sikh groups, not by the papers themselves.

Sewa Singh Mandla, the chairman of the council of Sikh Gurdwaras in Birmingham who organised the campaign against the play, said he was dismayed that it had been dropped in the face of the weekend violence. He said that, as the play received more media attention, a host of organisations were jostling to become involved. “The Sikh Federation is just jumping on the bandwagon,” Mr Mandla said.

“They are a group of militant people who just want to stir up problems around us.”

Who do you think the Times 'learned' about this alleged extremist/militant links from?

I could be all wrong but i will just say this. To my knowledge the ISYF split into a number of factions (i think 3). Each continued to operate under the same name of ISYF. Now if one such faction is banned (ie the name ISYF is proscribed) then all other factions with this name become proscribed too.

Also, the Indian 'mission' abroad has for long been activily lobbying against numerous Sikh, Muslim etc organizations that have political issues with India. Do you think this lobbying is entirely legitimate or are there some more deceptive and underhand tacicts being used?

Now, im sure you can also see how unfair this is.

Anyway, i could be completely mistaken in relation to the ISYF so my apologies if i am wrong about what led to it being proscribed.

DKI

As I understand it the Dal Khalsa recently made an unequivocal statement that it was commited 100% to peaceful activities to bring about its political aims and was going to work at the grassroots level and reach out to Hindus in Punjab too. This is what we need across the board. This is a progressive and intelligent strategy. We need more of this - especially with people ready to slander those who want to focus on Human Rights abuses in Punjab and in the current international climate regarding the use of violence in light of Islamic groups. We simply will not get a sympathetic hearing from anybody, otherwise.

161066[/snapback]

I have alot of respect for the Dal Khalsa and its leaders. I agree with you that the 'war on terror' has drastically impacted political movements all over the World and has virtually equated any form of armed resistance against governments with terrorism (regardless of whether that was the nature of the conflict or not).

In any case, i think it is clear that Sikh civilians in Punjab suffered too high a price during the armed struggle due to the severe state repression and free hand given to the Indian security forces. Political conflicts require political solutions and the Dal Khalsa definitely has the stamina to see this through and right ideas on how to go about bringing the Sikh masses into confidence so as to take forward the peaceful demand for right to self-determination.

Regards,

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear DKI

That is part of my point in a way - whatever the machinations of the Indian state, Sikh organisations have to adjust with the times and not allow themselves to be open to such accusations - they also have to carry out a full and honest audit and make sure that they are not tainted by any advocates of violence or such tactics.

The way I see it is that the bottom line is that the human rights excesses of the 1980's need to find restitution - and any descent into further violent rhetoric or action will simply be detrimental for the Sikh cause. That is the simple fact and Sikhs have to negotiate the future bearing this in mind.