Do We Need To Understand History To Understand Bani?

Hi All,

I was having a discussion with someone about various couplets of Bani, and I pointed out to him that in order to understand what the message of Bani is getting at, each shabad has to be understood in there historical and socioligal context.

For example when KabiR Bhagat wrote his couplets it was under the baclground of the invasion of Timur.

When Guru Nanak wrote his it was during the background of the invasion of Babur.

What do you think? I think it is essential personally.

Guest PRITAM SINGH KHALSA

I learned and understand alot more bani when I have read the history behind the Shabad. For example Sidh gost, If you read the history behind it you can imagine Guru Nanak sitting amonst the Siddhas and explaining away all there beleifs, and having them ask "well who are you etc."

umm... i wud say not in all shabads..!!

some shabads require a person to have some knowledge abt the hindu culture and religion..

whereas some shabads require to have knowledge abt islam

some require history..like the ones u posted..

some shabads r just purely spiritual..

:T:

I think all the replies have been very interesting....and I agree with them all. I just wish I had some of the wisdom you guys posses now at a young age, when I was your age.

I will give you an example of where a friend of mine used history to explain it meaning. there was one shabad that confused me totally, in which Guruji was talking appeasing ancestors and animal sacrifice, but then my friend said to that in those times there was a practice called "Anustrani" in which when someone was cremated an animal sacrifice was thrown on the funeral pyre to appease the dead ancestor, and other ancestors. The Guru's were talking about the futility of this gesture, and how it was pointless. It was as if I gained a little more knowledge that day and a small step towards a more spiritual life.

Knowledge Truly is Power.