Religion Vs Culture

Guest s133k_s1kh

Guest s133k_s1kh

FATEH!!!

I came across many threads that say Bhangra is manmat.

There are so many things in Punjabi Culture. If anyone here ever gets a chance to go to a PIND in Punjab you would come across sweet lil things that are related to punjabi culture.

So all the threads that say Bhangra, Giddah etc. is manmat suggesting that a religious person shouldn't be involved with cultural things ? Am not saying i want to do Bhangra here :D but bhangra is part of Punjabi Culture

What does the SANGAT think ??

ps: Please stick to the topic

GUR FATEH!!

Guest PRITAM SINGH KHALSA

I think of it as if you remember God with all breath means you should use your time in this creation more wisely. A Granthi doesnt do the bhangra thing so why should someone wanting to learn as much as possible to want to become a Granthi. The Goal of a Sikh isnt to be cultural but religious. A religious person can look over the pride of culture to help people find God within themselves.

What if you died tommorow and you wasted this day doing bhangra???????? What if you never took Amrit or what if you never chanted or meditated on Naam???? Will bhangra be there to save you???? If you used the time and energy on GuruJi instead of bhangra then do you think Guru will save you??????

Whats more important bhangra or Naam?????????????????

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

This may sound a little harsh, but I believe that anything that is "Punjabi" is usually wrong. Ironically, we intermix punjabi culture and sikhi, but if you look closely, when Sikhism was founded in PUNJAB, it was based upon the facts that almost everything that people were doing at the time were basically wrong. Seti, drinking, female fetocide: all characteristics of punjabi culture, but absolutely wrong in sikhi.

That said, culture in itself isn't wrong: but make sure to keep that separate from other stuff. Sikhi is a way of life... and it should take top priority over any other cultural influences.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Guest Dancing Warrior

The Panjabi Indian culture influenced many parts of Sikh Dharma, the proof is there Language, Dress, Habits, food etc etc. These distinctions were not just plucked from thin air.

If Guru Nanak Dev Ji had been born in any other part of the world then the culture of the time, place and period would have influenced the make up of the belief system.

However Some who follow the Sikh Religion disagree, there is becoming a clear rift between those that follow Dharma and those that follow Religion

The current state of affairs: I was watching Alpha ETC Punjabi Channel and they have a special offer for Guru Nanak Jayanti. Well the ad had some punjabi cartoon doing Bhangra and saying happy Guru Nanak Jayanti!!

Now we celebrate Gurpurbs by doing Bhangra aswell. Why do people feel it more important to create commotion in Darbar Sahibs to congratuate friends and family for Diwali but dont even recongise Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji's prakas and show some respect?

since when did these occassions become cultural?