Death Speech

Guest speaker

Guest speaker

okies so i have been asked to speak about my cousin sister (who passed away last week) at her funeral (which has not been arranged yet due to post mortem etc) anyhow i am fine with talking about her as in the person she was etc buttttt in my family there are like many atheists (however you spell it) and like people who have come away from Sikhi and follow other stuff like some sort of cult thing maybe i don't know to many details

anyhow they keep questioning as to why this happened. why did she have to die? why did she die so young? (22) what did auntie and uncle do to deserve this because they are good people i.e. religious etc etc etc sooooo like im trying to explain its God's will and death doesn't look at a person's age etc etc

but they don't seem to get it and like they're asking stuff like why are we born and why do we die etc etc and like tbh i am finding it difficult to answer all this because the death is a bit of a shock to me also and i just need time out kinda thing

so anywaysss

i was wondering if sangat can sort of provide me with sakhis or particular Tuks from Gurbani that talk about life/death/accepting God's will etc

anddddd also does anyone know of anybody in the west midlands like Manvir Singh i heard he is at uni in Bham or that oher Bhaji Sukh something from Bham (sorry can't remember his name) who could perhaps come to the Bogh and like talk about death etc in English because i think this would really help my family understand bit better and like especially because i am younger than them they think i don't know what i am talking about (and yeah they're probably right) i was going to ask our local Gianni but tbh his english is not all that

anyways thanks in advance for your help

much appreciated

jo AwieAw so clsI sBu koeI AweI vwrIAY ]

jo aaeiaa so chalasee sabh koee aaee vaareeai ||

Whoever has come, shall depart; all shall have their turn.

==========

jnnI jwnq suqu bfw hoqu hY ieqnw ku n jwnY ij idn idn AvD Gtqu hY ]

jananee jaanath suth baddaa hoth hai eithanaa k n jaanai j dhin dhin avadhh ghattath hai ||

The mother thinks that her son is growing up; she does not understand that, day by day, his life is diminishing.

=========

PrIdw BMnI GVI svMnvI tutI nwgr lju ]

fareedhaa bha(n)nee gharree sava(n)navee ttuttee naagar laj ||

Fareed, your beautiful body shall break apart, and the subtle thread of the breath shall be snapped.

AjrweIlu Prysqw kY Gir nwTI Aju ]68]

ajaraaeel faraesathaa kai ghar naat(h)ee aj ||68||

[no one knows] In which house will the Messenger of Death be a guest today? ||68||

=============

jIvx mrxw jwie kY eyQY KwjY kwil ]

jeevan maranaa jaae kai eaethhai khaajai kaal ||

Life and death come to all who are born. Everything here gets devoured by Death.

=============

a saakhi comes to mind. baba bhudha sahib ji was sitting one day beside his mom while she was cooking. in the old day they had chuley, made of clay(i think) wood would be placed in them and lit on fire and the cooking utensil on top of the chula. babaji saw his mom light the woods on fire. he saw that the smaller pieces were the first ones to turn into ash. this made him think that just like the smaller pieces were destroyed first, in the same way, a child can also be destoryed by death. As he narated this incident to Guru Nanak, Guru Nanak gave him the name Bhudha (the old, wise one) Guruji said, listen bura(his parents named him bura), you are a child but you talk like a very old and wise person. from now on i shall call you Budha.

ijau ijau qyrw hukmu iqvY iqau hovxw ]

jio jio thaeraa hukam thivai thio hovanaa ||

As is the Hukam of Your Command, so do things happen.

jh jh rKih Awip qh jwie KVovxw ]

jeh jeh rakhehi aap theh jaae kharrovanaa ||

Wherever You keep me, there I go and stand.

nwm qyrY kY rMig durmiq Dovxw ]

naam thaerai kai ra(n)g dhuramath dhhovanaa ||

With the Love of Your Name, I wash away my evil-mindedness.

jip jip quDu inrMkwr Brmu Bau Kovxw ]

jap jap thudhh nira(n)kaar bharam bho khovanaa ||

By continually meditating on You, O Formless Lord, my doubts and fears are dispelled.

jo qyrY rMig rqy sy join n jovxw ]

jo thaerai ra(n)g rathae sae jon n jovanaa ||

Those who are attuned to Your Love, shall not be trapped in reincarnation.

AMqir bwhir ieku nYx Alovxw ]

a(n)thar baahar eik nain alovanaa ||

Inwardly and outwardly, they behold the One Lord with their eyes.

ijn@I pCwqw hukmu iqn@ kdy n rovxw ]

jinhee pashhaathaa hukam thinh kadhae n rovanaa ||

Those who recognize the Lord's Command never weep.

nwau nwnk bKsIs mn mwih provxw ]18]

naao naanak bakhasees man maahi parovanaa ||18||

O Nanak, they are blessed with the gift of the Name, woven into the fabric of their minds. ||18||

nh bwirk nh jobnY nh ibrDI kCu bMDu ]

neh baarik neh jobanai neh biradhhee kashh ba(n)dhh ||

there is nothing to stand in Death's way - neither in childhood, nor in youth, nor in old age.

http://sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=797

bwry bUFy qruny BeIAw sBhU jmu lY jeIhY ry ]

baarae boodtae tharunae bheeaa sabhehoo jam lai jeehai rae ||

The children, the young and the old, O Siblings of Destiny, will be taken away by the Messenger of Death.

http://sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=3204