Amritdhari Advice

Guest kaurin turmoil

Guest kaurin turmoil

having taken amrit 2 years ago, my parents give me a hard time because i don't wear jewels and fancy clothes. recently at a family function i turned up dressed simply and wearing a keski. my parents hit the roof, and havent stopped shouting at me since, they expect me to dress like a tart. what should i do? please help.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

having taken amrit 2 years ago, my parents give me a hard time because i don't wear jewels and fancy clothes. recently at a family function i turned up dressed simply and wearing a keski. my parents hit the roof, and havent stopped shouting at me since, they expect me to dress like a tart. what should i do? please help.

respect what your parents are saying, as they are your parents. But what i would do if i was in your position was to meet them half way, atleast that way there would be less friction.

i can understand its more difficult for you since your a woman, because im like the onl nihung inmy family, heck the only singh! But i can get away with it because basically because im male (not saying thats a good thing that i should be treated different bcuz im male) but bcuz the way our society is i can understand where they r cummin from.

just meet them half way, best thing, avoid conflict.

oh and do allot of naam, and at the end of the day a bit of makeup or jewelery wont kill anyone!

Mahakaal 22 ji je tere ghar de tenu kehan ki teri dharri uneven aaa ehnu set kara la, thore je hair trim kar la. tu karre ga ?

and bibi jidda tusi theek feel karde ho uda hi raho. tusi kisse de pressure kar ke na kuch kario. i tell you a secret. even if a kid does something wrong his parents forgive the kid after sometime. tusi ta kuch galat vi ni kitta. let your parent say what they want to, you can do what is you like.

Guest Guru Ji's Sikh

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh BheniJi

Real beauty is not about how many jewels you wear, or how much make you have on your face, it is the simplicity that you display. It is hard these days, to go anywhere, without wearing jewels or make-up, and if you don’t have any on, many will judge…

If you feel that jewels and make-up isn’t your thing, then do not do it. Your parents are you guide, respect what their beliefs, but, make sure they know what you feel. Communication is a two-way street.

If they yell today, they most likely will yell tomorrow, and so forth. Soon, they will understand. Do not give up on your path. Never feel like you have to look a certain way to impress someone else.

Most importantly, if someone is looking at your, or judging your physical appearance, they aren’t looking at you as a person, but looking at you as Guru Ji’s Sikh. Always remember that.

Guest Guest

anyways i got a sort of similar situation but i have to step up to the mark of being the bride's immediate sister as her blood sister passed away a few months ago, i also wear a dastaar etc and so yeah in a sense i can understand the point you're making, like maha-akaal singh has said, meet them half way! it's no biggie if your suit has a bit of embroidery!! i'm sure you won't get punished for wearing something with heavier than normal embroidery for a one off occasion! besides it will get you out of having to wear jewellry(sp?), you just simply need to point out that it's not needed with such an embroidered suit! - that's my line anways, and it seems to have worked, and everyone is happy!

Guest kaurin turmoil

i'm married with kids, the inlaws have no problem with the way i look but my parents are just freaking out, saying i've been brain-washed by my husband. how can someone be brain-washed into sikhi?????

Guest Guest

Guru Sahib is your Father, Mata Sahib Kaur is your Mother.

then you have your worldly parents (who have done a lot for you)

whos opinion is more important?

wearing jewellery or makeup wont kill anyone, i agree

but it wont do you any good either, its false, artificial.

the opposite of how a Khalsa should be.

once your family see that they can influence you (by getting u to wear dodgy clothes and jewellery etc),

they wont stop trying

if they see that ur SOLID and true to your principles,

they wont say anything.

once they see your dedication to sikhi, and Guru Sahib,

they'll leave you alone.

one last thing, try and explain to them why you dont wear jewellery, makeup or revealing suits etc maybe they dont see why n need it clarified

it didnt work for me but maybe ur parents are more open minded.

bhul chuk maaf,

A fellow Kaur speaking from years of experience and many many mistakes.

i'm married with kids, the inlaws have no problem with the way i look but my parents are just freaking out, saying i've been brain-washed by my husband. how can someone be brain-washed into sikhi?????

if your inlaws are fine then <admin-profanity filter activated> what your parents are saying because initially you are married and are LIVING with your inlaws so if your sas and saura and husband is fine then why let ur parents say <admin-profanity filter activated> about your husband and try to <admin-profanity filter activated> up your marriage! tell them to butt out as its your married life your not under their wing anymore. Sheesh some parents just dont know when to let go!