Mlaz And Mlcz?

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh!

i wanted to know if anyone knw anything about india's politics and are aware of the term MLC? i was talkin to my dad...dont know how but we ended up talking about how they used to have MLC(s) who used to be people elected by educated people(college grads only). they used to help the MLAs and they( MLCs) had the same powers as MLAs! to me it is very interesting. im trying to read about it but there isn't really a lot on that subject (and whatevr i found doesn't make much sense to me right now :lol: ) just dont know much about how it all works (haven;t studied brit/hindustan type of govt)

does any one know if it was abolished?

-dad was saying that maybe it was because of the corrupted MLAs who had their own desires and weren't very educated. still aren't(he called um "thieves", uneducated, thugs who didnt want the educated lot to be doing something good and saw MLCs getting in the way of their desires.(?))

Thanks in advance

bhul chuk muaff karni

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

MLA --- Member Legislative Assembly

MLC ----- Member Legislative Council

What I understand that one time there used to be two houses of the state assemblies : upper house and lower house. The lower house members (MLAs) used to be elected by the direct voting.. However, members of the upper house (MLCs ) were elected by the professionals, municipal councils etc. I did not find any information about how many from which profession were elected.. There were some seats for lawyers, some for teachers and university lecturers and professors, some from the municipal councils , others economists accountants etc. They would generally be elected or recommended by the general membership of their profession. A piece of legislation would become law only when passed by both the houses . The MLAs did not like that set up . So the Legislative Councils (upper houses at the state level) were abolished. However the upper house (Raj Sabha) of the Central Parliament was retained with the modified version. Now a days it is being used to appoint the defeated candidates and party loyals etc. The Prime Minister ManMohan Singh is member of the Raj Sabha (upper house) not a member of the Lok Sabha (Lower house). To be elected to the Lok Sabha one has to be elected directly by the popular vote.

( That is about all that I know about the MLCs)

MLC house or Vidhan Parishad is present in big states of India only like in Maharshtra(sure), Rajasthan(not sure), Bihar(not sure). They are more sort of advisory committee all other state bills except the money bill need to be passed by Vidhan Parishad also.

All i remember from wat i studied in class10 not exact not sure.