Kirpan And Customs

Hi, I don't have school all this summer so decided to work. I got accepted as a CSA w/ an airline but later when i gave them my resume they promoted me to be the Sr. Flight Editor & Floater and Incharge of Departing Flights at Newark Liberty Intl. Airport. It requires me to work beyond the customs sterile area and my office is also in the sterile area. I am an amritdhari sikh so i have to take off my kirpan before i go to my office. Do you guys think i should keep going as i am right now or try to talk with the Customs Sr. Security Coordinator to give me "Armed" status on my ID card?? Please reply soon.. Thanks!!

Guest Akirtghan

if you can do something about it then by all means you should try to keep your kirpan on. maybe find another job, i'm not sure how hard that'll be.

if not then hey pepole take their kirpans off when boarding a plane too, so i dont see how this is any different.

Doesnt kirpan count as a religious item rather than a usuable weapon?

I have to go thru same process as apassenger flying internationally has to.. so according to FAA regulations to weapons must be taken in sterile area.. no matter what unless you have been approved by Customs and given "Armed" status.. for eg.. like Port Authority Police, Custom Officers, Security Officers of FAA etc..

if you can do something about it then by all means you should try to keep your kirpan on. maybe find another job, i'm not sure how hard that'll be.

if not then hey pepole take their kirpans off when boarding a plane too, so i dont see how this is any different.

Well.. the job.. i cant give up.. as it is very rare that on second day of your job you are promoted as Incharge of Departing Flights..

Hi, I don't have school all this summer so decided to work. I got accepted as a CSA w/ an airline but later when i gave them my resume they promoted me to be the Sr. Flight Editor & Floater and Incharge of Departing Flights at Newark Liberty Intl. Airport. It requires me to work beyond the customs sterile area and my office is also in the sterile area. I am an amritdhari sikh so i have to take off my kirpan before i go to my office. Do you guys think i should keep going as i am right now or try to talk with the Customs Sr. Security Coordinator to give me "Armed" status on my ID card?? Please reply soon.. Thanks!!

my advice is dont worry about it, we all have to go thru these customs when we board planes, guru ji knows ur majboori and i am sure he understands. I know it isnt easy to find another job.

guru kirpa kare