We Call Them Raagis.

Akaali

Interesting...

I live in Canada, born here. When I was younger I learnt tabla from a local Gurdwara but, my interest really went into kirtan after I started playing more and more tabla for different variations of kirtanee.

I didn't learn raag matra or anything like that. I would listen to a keertan recording, and figure it out myself on the vaaja. I am now 20 years old, have not listened to any form of hindi/punjabi/english/ or any other music since I was about 7 or 8 years old. All I do is listen to kirtan. I copy the "tunes" of many professional raagi. I have no idea if they are "hindi song" tunes or not. I just do kirtan using these tunes at home, as a showing of love to Guru.

Does this make me a bad person?

I think you're being too judgemental here.

I think the most important aspect of doing kirtan is actually UNDERSTANDING and Abiding by the kirtan. One of the things commonly seen in the youth is the use of a pothi. Me myself using a pothi cannot do kirtan and still focus on the bani. I play tabla, waja and now am learning dilruba. I do very basic tunes on waja but LOVE raag kirtan and think it should be done world wide. BUT the purataan singhs would do 6-7 years of practice of the saaj before doing kirtan with them because it becomes a instinct to play the saaj and u can focus on the bani. I am not smart enough to play a tanti saaj like my dilruba and still focus on the bani...Even while doing a raag shabd in tintaal on waja i get lost. thats just my idiotic veiw tho...Bhul chuk maaf

FATHE!

It's really important to bring tanti saaj back into our Gurdwaras. They should be just as popular as vaja. Any1 who learns it and is quite good oughta start up a class.

Noting beats the sound of tanti saaj :lol: