Cheap Sarangi

mophlrkb

Finally got my Sarangi from Indian from my Thia.

As I'm a complete novice I have a question for all those skilled Sarangi players.

The one I have comes with 3 main strings (the big thing ones) which are seated so they are about 5 mm above all the other strings.

Now I haven't tuned it yet but I'm wondering how do I get the bow to play (or even touch) the other strings, particularly the strings that are in the middle of the bunch?

Is it simple that I haven't tuned (or tightened) the strings or is my sanrangi a cheap pend knock-off?

If anyone can post a close up pic of the bottom of their sarangi where the the bridge thing is that all the strings pass through that would also be useful!!!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks veerji!!!

I'm such an <banned word filter activated>, I LOVE the sound of the sarangi that I heard from various classical Ustads and thats why I got one.

So I only play the 3 main strings using the bow and the other strings will resonate with the vibrations of the main thick strings?

Could someone just post a few points on the very basics of playing it....I've got a lot of information from various google searches but any tips or advise for a novice like me would be great....