The City Of Lahore Burns...

wjkk wjkf,

Please do enlighten this poor soul... I seek the saat sangat's knowledge on this...

on page 1412

ਲਾਹੌਰ ਸਹਰ ੁ ਜਹਰ ੁ ਕਹਰ ੁ ਸਵਾ ਪਹਰ ੁ ॥੨੭॥

laahour sahar jahar kahar savaa pahar. ||27||

The city of Lahore suffered terrible destruction for four hours. ||27||

Why did LAhore burn for 4 hours?

I understand this is a small question, but to understand the the gems, i have to not leave any stone unturned... please do help me...

Thank you... I am forever your slave for this.

ਮਰਣੁ ਨ ਜਾਪੈ ਮੂਿਲਆ ਆਵੈ ਿਕਤੈ ਥਾਇ ॥੨੧॥

maran na jaapai mooli-aa aavai kitai thaa-ay. ||21||

O Moollah, no one knows where death shall strike. ||21||

ਿਗਆਨ ਹੀਣੰ ਅਿਗਆਨ ਪੂਜਾ ॥

gi-aan heenaN agi-aan poojaa.

Without spiritual wisdom, the people worship ignorance.

ਅੰਧ ਵਰਤਾਵਾ ਭਾਉ ਦੂਜਾ ॥੨੨॥

anDh vartaavaa bhaa-o doojaa. ||22||

They grope in the darkness, in the love of duality. ||22||

ਗੁਰ ਿਬਨੁ ਿਗਆਨੁ ਧਰਮ ਿਬਨੁ ਿਧਆਨੁ ॥

gur bin gi-aan Dharam bin Dhi-aan.

Without the Guru, there is no spiritual wisdom; without Dharma, there is no

meditation.

ਸਚ ਿਬਨੁ ਸਾਖੀ ਮੂਲੋ ਨ ਬਾਕੀ ॥੨੩॥

sach bin saakhee moolo na baakee. ||23||

Without Truth, there is no credit; without capital, there is no balance. ||23||

ਮਾਣੂ ਘਲੈ ਉਠੀ ਚਲੈ ॥

maanoo ghalai uthee chalai.

The mortals are sent into the world; then, they arise and depart.

ਸਾਦ ੁ ਨਾਹੀ ਇਵੇਹੀ ਗਲੈ ॥੨੪॥

saad naahee ivayhee galai. ||24||

There is no joy in this. ||24||

ਰਾਮੁ ਝੁਰੈ ਦਲ ਮੇਲਵੈ ਅੰਤਿਰ ਬਲੁ ਅਿਧਕਾਰ ॥

raam jhurai dal maylvai antar bal aDhikaar.

Raam Chand, sad at heart, assembled his army and forces.

ਬੰਤਰ ਕੀ ਸੈਨਾ ਸੇਵੀਐ ਮਿਨ ਤਿਨ ਜੁਝੁ ਅਪਾਰ ੁ ॥

bantar kee sainaa sayvee-ai man tan jujh apaar.

The army of monkeys was at his service; his mind and body became eager for war.

ਸੀਤਾ ਲੈ ਗਇਆ ਦਹਿਸਰੋ ਲਛਮਣੁ ਮੂਓ ਸਰਾਿਪ ॥

seetaa lai ga-i-aa dehsiro lachhman moo-o saraap.

Raawan captured his wife Sita, and Lachhman was cursed to die.

ਨਾਨਕ ਕਰਤਾ ਕਰਣਹਾਰ ੁ ਕਿਰ ਵੇਖੈ ਥਾਿਪ ਉਥਾਿਪ ॥੨੫॥

naanak kartaa karanhaar kar vaykhai thaap uthaap. ||25||

O Nanak, the Creator Lord is the Doer of all; He watches over all, and destroys what

He has created. ||25||

ਮਨ ਮਿਹ ਝੂਰੈ ਰਾਮਚੰਦ ੁ ਸੀਤਾ ਲਛਮਣ ਜੋਗੁ ॥

man meh jhoorai raamchand seetaa lachhman jog.

In his mind, Raam Chand mourned for Sita and Lachhman.

ਹਣਵੰਤਰ ੁਆਰਾਿਧਆ ਆਇਆ ਕਿਰ ਸੰਜੋਗੁ ॥

hanvantar aaraaDhi-aa aa-i-aa kar sanjog.

Then, he remembered Hanuman the monkey-god, who came to him.

ਭੂਲਾ ਦੈਤੁ ਨ ਸਮਝਈ ਿਤਿਨ ਪਰ੍ਭ ਕੀਏ ਕਾਮ ॥

bhoolaa dait na samjha-ee tin parabh kee-ay kaam.

The misguided demon did not understand that God is the Doer of deeds.

ਨਾਨਕ ਵੇਪਰਵਾਹ ੁ ਸੋ ਿਕਰਤੁ ਨ ਿਮਟਈ ਰਾਮ ॥੨੬॥

naanak vayparvaahu so kirat na mit-ee raam. ||26||

O Nanak, the actions of the Self-existent Lord cannot be erased. ||26||

ਲਾਹੌਰ ਸਹਰ ੁ ਜਹਰ ੁ ਕਹਰ ੁ ਸਵਾ ਪਹਰ ੁ ॥੨੭॥

laahour sahar jahar kahar savaa pahar. ||27||

The city of Lahore suffered terrible destruction for four hours. ||27||

To understand this line, one must understand the whole shabad.. The shabad is about God's Hukam and destruction. LAhore was the capital of mughal rule. It was the capital. It was plagued by vices and hence burning with poison (jahar kahar). However, take this spiritually and our body (the spiritual mind) is lahore (the centre point of us). With the 5 enemies within, it suffers destructions.

wjkk wjkf

http://www.gurugranthdarpan.com/darpan2/1412.html

from what i remember from a sakhi that i heard quite a while back, was that guru naanak dev ji went to stay in lahore for a while. one morning they woke up to the squeals of animals mainly the animals (i guess) of the 'muslims meat' preped in the halaal fashion. they used to prepare the meat for the day in the morning for all the shops and such things. basically a slaughter house..

laahaor seher - the city of lahore

jeher - poison (for the souls of the people doing the gulvad hatia kamai)

keher - can be taken to mean zaalam or basically some 'aunsaar' kum.

sava peher - in a day there is 8 sets of 3, which makes the 24 hours of the day.

--> aat peher aaradhiae puran satgur giaan ...sggs...

so sava means 1.25, so mathematically, 3hours plus a quarter of 3hours which i think

is calculated to be 45 mins, hence rounding up to 4 hours.

i take this to mean the muzis used to take roughly 4 hours in the mornings >daily< to slaughter the animals..

so guru naanak dev ji wrote this that these people that do such a horrible deed to life (animals) are daily for so long (~4 hours) killing and burning their own souls in this fire of hell that they have themselves created (as compassion is the start for being a human else, one is just a beast) and drinking the poision of their own keher ( 'badness' ) in this city of lahore.

thats basically it.

however, another part is also there. it was said by the previous poster that the whole of the part of the shabad.

the concluding part comes after this tuk.

ਲਾਹੌਰ ਸਹਰੁ ਜਹਰੁ ਕਹਰੁ ਸਵਾ ਪਹਰੁ ॥੨੭॥ ਮਹਲਾ ੩ ॥ ਲਾਹੌਰ ਸਹਰੁ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰੁ ਸਿਫਤੀ ਦਾ ਘਰੁ ॥੨੮॥ {ਪੰਨਾ 1412}

this next bit is where most of the people get confuzzled! (due to them understanding how lahore was bad.)

in the next part of the line, it says that lahore is 'good', hence the confusion.

so far lahore is a place where people kill their own aatma.

then GURU AMAR DAS says, lahore city has become the home of 'sifati da amrit sar'. (iv purposely put it the other way round for understanding purposes.)

sifati da amrit sar, basically says..............

.................the amrit of god

so all together, lahore city has become the home of the amrit of god.

so what does this mean??

DHAN GHAN GURUU RAAM DAAS SAHIB MAHA MAHA MAHARAAJ.

they were born there, therefore, the city became pure.

the take home message is where ever a mahapurakh is/goes/stays, that town becomes blessed.

in other words (specifically the words of dhanguru raam daas),

ਜਿਥੈ ਜਾਇ ਬਹੈ ਮੇਰਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਸੋ ਥਾਨੁ ਸੁਹਾਵਾ ਰਾਮ ਰਾਜੇ ॥

ਗੁਰਸਿਖੀ ਸੋ ਥਾਨੁ ਭਾਲਿਆ ਲੈ ਧੂਰਿ ਮੁਖਿ ਲਾਵਾ ॥

ਗੁਰਸਿਖਾ ਕੀ ਘਾਲ ਥਾਇ ਪਈ ਜਿਨ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵਾ ॥

ਜਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਪੂਜਿਆ ਤਿਨ ਹਰਿ ਪੂਜ ਕਰਾਵਾ ॥੨॥

i have no purpose other than serving. so i really thanks you for giving me this seva.

u dont understand how much i mean this, and how thankful that i am that i came accross your post.

so thaan sohaavana

dhan guru naanak nirankaari!

gurfateh.

hey, i just realised that you have posted an answer to your own q!

i think it might be a different person though..

anyhu

gurfateh

Referring to the burning of the City of Lahore.

This city was one of Punjab's major cities at the time of the Lodhi Sultanat (ruled from Delhi). That empire was subsequently taken over by the Mughals and Guru Nanak wrote at the time that Babur (the first Mughal) descended upon Punjab. Guru Nanak writes about the turmoil and destruction of that time. Guruji himself was taken to a labour camp by the invaders and that is where the saki comes from, when Babur witnessed the basket of rocks that Guruji was carrying on his head, was not in fact on his head, or even supported upon his head, but was balanced miraculously in mid air above Guruji's head. Thus Guru Nanak was called to Babur's presence and upon realising that Guruji was a great holy person, Babur had him released.

This city was one of Punjab's major cities at the time of the Lodhi Sultanat (ruled from Delhi). That empire was subsequently taken over by the Mughals and Guru Nanak wrote at the time that Babur (the first Mughal) descended upon Punjab. Guru Nanak writes about the turmoil and destruction of that time. Guruji himself was taken to a labour camp by the invaders and that is where the saki comes from, when Babur witnessed the basket of rocks that Guruji was carrying on his head, was not in fact on his head, or even supported upon his head, but was balanced miraculously in mid air above Guruji's head. Thus Guru Nanak was called to Babur's presence and upon realising that Guruji was a great holy person, Babur had him released.

gurfateh jeeo,

fromm what i remember, i thought that guru naanak dev ji went to the kitchen and started to make the chaki (the grinder) float, and not only his own, but all the other chakis as well, then thats wen guru naanak dev ji got called in????? its just that i am a bit unsure. i havent been refreshing my mind with the history..

thanks jeeo.

gurfateh jeeo,

fromm what i remember, i thought that guru naanak dev ji went to the kitchen and started to make the chaki (the grinder) float, and not only his own, but all the other chakis as well, then thats wen guru naanak dev ji got called in????? its just that i am a bit unsure. i havent been refreshing my mind with the history..

thanks jeeo.

wjkk wjkf,

I think the time you are talking about is the time when the mughals attacked India, and Guru Nanak was put into prison. He was made to grind corn using a stone mill.

But He was praying and the stone-mill was rotating itself. That was shocking to the rulers there and they figured he is of devine soul.

By the way, speaking of stone mill. This is a nice shabad. Very straight forward and teaches us something.

ਸਲੋਕੁ ਮਃ ੧ ॥

salok mehlaa 1.

Shalok, First Mehl:

ਜਾ ਪਕਾ ਤਾ ਕਿਟਆ ਰਹੀ ਸੁ ਪਲਿਰ ਵਾਿੜ ॥

jaa pakaa taa kati-aa rahee so palar vaarh.

When the crop is ripe, then it is cut down; only the stalks are left standing.

ਸਣੁ ਕੀਸਾਰਾ ਿਚਿਥਆ ਕਣੁ ਲਇਆ ਤਨੁ ਝਾਿੜ ॥

san keesaaraa chithi-aa kan la-i-aa tan jhaarh.

The corn on the cob is put into the thresher, and the kernels are separated from the

cobs.

ਦੁਇ ਪੁੜ ਚਕੀ ਜੋਿੜ ਕੈ ਪੀਸਣ ਆਇ ਬਿਹਠੁ ॥

du-ay purh chakee jorh kai peesan aa-ay bahith.

Placing the kernels between the two mill-stones, people sit and grind the corn.

ਜੋ ਦਿਰ ਰਹੇ ਸੁ ਉਬਰੇ ਨਾਨਕ ਅਜਬੁ ਿਡਠੁ ॥੧॥

jo dar rahay so ubray naanak ajab dith. ||1||

Those kernels which stick to the central axle are spared-Nanak has seen this

wonderful vision! ||1||

wjkk wjkf

ok so these are 2 separate stories then.

the basket on gurujis (or not rather) head; and the stone mill..

when are their timelines? which came first??

and what were gurujio doing before these incidents? like, how did the mughals 'stumble' upon gurujis rock basket kautak?