Vairag Shatak {English} Pt 16 To 20

MokhamSingh

Khalsa Jio the previous post should have been titled "11 to 15" , hence this post being 16 to 20. Sorry. “DOHRA”

ATI NADH NATT GHAMBIR SRI HAR BHARAT VAIRAG SHUTT.

JANAN MARAN BHYA NEER VIKSAT KAMAL SALOK GAN”. {15}.

Nad=cheel=stream. Ghambir=very deep , immeasurable depth. Viksat=blossomed/flowering. Ganh=samooh=all.

The Sri Bharthari Har “Vairag shatak” is akin to an immeasurable river etc. In this river are the darr{fears} of janam-maran{births-deaths} which are shown in the Granth. In this nadh{river} there is water {the saloks} and there is the blossoming/flowering of kamal {lotus}.

{15}.

[upp alankar- Kamla naal saloka di samanta da varnan{Further explanation in poetic style}].

“KABITT”

DOKH DRISHT NAAL GUR DUL PADH LAGH PADH,

UNK MATRA TARRI TARR ARTH SO BAAS HAIH.

DAATEH KAATEH MANDH SANGH INDH HAER NISPUNDH,

ARK BIBEK KE PRAKASH TE VIKAAS HAIH.

BHOGI POOHND BHOG MULL BHOGAT NE TAZEH PALL,

SANTAN KO MANN ULL SEVEH SADHA TAAS HAIH.

AISO NARR AAKHO SE VILOKOH NAHIH JAHIH AAKHO,

NIJ MANN HI KO BHAKO VAAK BHUV NAAS HAIH”.

{16}.

Dokh drisht=the showing of padarth{goods} to be the karan{cause} of dukh{pain} which is akin to the Dundee{stem} of the kamal{lotus}. Gur dull=waday patay{large leaves}. Laghdum=shotay patay{small leaves}. Unk=akhar=letters. Tarri tarr=the small strings between the petals. Indh=chandrma=moon. Har=the seeing of. Nispandh=close/not open. Ark=suraj=sun. Vikaas=blossoming/opening up of the flower. Ull=bhora=bee. Aakoh se=with eyes. Vilokoh=am seeing. Aakoh=saying. Vaak=bachan=words etc.

The dokh drishti {agony} stressed in these saloks is akin to the Dundee{stem} of this kamal{lotus} and the large padh {stanzas} are the large flowers of this lotus. The small padh{small stanzas} are the small flowers of this kamal phool{lotus}. The akhar{letters} and matra{grammar} are the taria{small strings between the petals. The arth{meaning} of the saloks is the vashna{fragrance} of this lotus flower. The tadhna{warning} in these saloks i.e. to avoid the Sangat{company} of immoral people are the kandey{thorns} on the flower. Just as in darkness the kamal phool{lotus} closes it’s leaves , in exactly the same way these saloks will not be discussed in the company of mandeh pursh{spiritually corrupt} i.e. the metaphorical flowers of these saloks will close in the company of spiritually corrupt/immoral people{they will find them offensive}. Just as the kamal{lotus} flowers leaves khidh{open/blossom} with the sun light , so too will the metaphorical leaves of these saloks khidh{open up/blossom} i.e. will be read in the presence of the viveki suraj {spiritually awoken/high moral} people. Artharth{in other words} it is only in the Sangat of the viveki pursh {spiritual people} that the gyan{knowledge} of these saloks will acquired.

Bhogi pursh{engaged in physical pleasures} are akin to a poohnd{bee} who consume mael{filth} and goha{manure} in the form of visheh{lust etc.}. They do not ever disengage freom this activity. The mann{mind} of the Sants{great souls} is akin to the bhaura{bee that collects nectar} who perpetually collect and gather the metaphorical nectar from the flowers of kamal{lotus} of these saloks. I cannot see with my eyes the adhkari pursh{deserving person} to whom I should narrate these saloks to , that is why I shall narrate these saloks to my own mann{mind} the likes of which dispel the darr{fear} of janam-maran{births-deaths}.

{16}.

Prashan{question}:- Rajan{king}! In the Jagat{world} there are very big pandit{academics} , many Rajas{kings} , and besides them there are many jeevs{beings} why do you not narrate your bachan{words/saloks} to them?

Iss da uttar{answers}:-

“Dohra”

“SRAT VAKTA PUKTA OVUNN BOHAR ITR BILOK.

TINEH BILOK N SAKHEH TINN SUPAGH SAROJ SALOK”.

{17}.

Srat=Vedh. Pukta=consumer. Ovunn=land. Itr=others. Bilok=see. Supagh=very beautiful. Saroj=kamal phool=lotus flower.

There are anek{many} Vedh vakta Pandit {academics} , there are anek{many} Rajeh{kings} who bhog{consume/utilise/derive pleasure} from land/kingdom etc. , and there are many more people but they cannot see the metaphorical beautiful lotus flower of these saloks i.e. are blinded by vikar{lust etc.}.

{17}.

What is the cause of this?

“DOHRA”

“TINKE UNN ADHKAAR KO KARKE PRAGAT BAHOR.

SHRI HAR BHART SO CHIT PRAT SO BACHAN NICHOR.”

{18}.

Upon showing the unn adhkaar{not having the right} of all these people Shri Bharthar then narrates this sidhant{core/central theme} bachan{words} to his own chit{mind}.

{18}.

“KABITT”

GRANTHAN KE GYATEH MATEH MATSAR KEECH BEECH,

DARANATH MADH SAATH BHAREH DARSAAT HAIH.

DOOKHAN CHAMORAY MORAY POOHKAN SE PAAHKAN KO,

PANDIT POOPAL TOH NA SUNEH MERI DUKHI MOODH DEEN TETE,

MOTAY SUKCHAAT HUM UTEY SUKHCHAAT HAIH.

PRAT BINAH PAAHKEH RAAKEH HAVINN KO LAAKEH,

JAISEH JEERAN MOH GAAT MEH SO BAAT HOTT JAAT HAIH.

{19}.

Gyateh=they who know. Matsar=eerkah=jealousy, raag-dvash=attachment of material goods. Keech=chikadh=mud/slime. Daranath=kings/rulers. Madh=hankar=ego. Darshaat=can be seen. Se=vargeh=like. Pahkaan=kathan=to say. Poohpal=kings/rulers. Ann=hor=others. Te te= all/all in all. Sukchaat=the scared. Otey=from them. Patr=adhkari=one who has the right. Raakeh=in dust/ash. Raakeh{2}=placed in. Havinn=the goods used in ahooti{ritual life} like pure butter etc. Jeeran=purana=old. Moh=mera=mine. Gaat=sareer=physical body.

Arth{meaning}. The academics who know the Granths are stuck in the chikadh{mud/slime} of eerkha{jealousy} and the rajeh lok{kings/rulers} are filled with hankar{ego} of dhann{material wealth} it can be seen. The pandits{academics} being caught in the eerkha{jealousy} associate my sarb saresht{foremost} words with dooshan{inaccuracies/low intellect etc.} and the rajeh lok{kings/rulers} do not listen to me at all. Apart from them the rest of the people are all in dukhi{in agony},moorakh{fools},and dheen{poor/pitiful} and that is why they are frightened of me and I am frightened of them. The divulging of knowledge to someone who is not adhkari{worthy} is akin to placing valuable goods in svah{dust/ash},artharth{in other words} the svah{dust/ash} that comes into contact with butter can’t even be used for cleaning utensils i.e. becomes useless and that why these words are becoming old in my sareer{body},athwa{i.e} as my body grows older so do my words become older.

{19}.

Khulasa{further explanation}. The world is full of many abhmani and ghumandi {egoistic} people. Many are becoming chaknachoor{antagonised} in the hankar{ego} of their own vidhya{knowledge} and many are becoming matvalay{crazy} with the nasha{intoxication} of maya{material wealth}. If any vidhvan{academic} karigar{expert} goes to see a vidhya abhmani {egoistic academic} at first he will not allow that person anywhere near them but if by some miracle he gives them time he will discard all the beautiful important content and pay full attention to any shortcomings that there may be in the work , thus hurting their feelings. That is why the visiting of such vidhya abhmani{egoistic academic} and expecting them to recognise or respect your work is a very big mistake.

Then there are dhan abhmani{ego of material wealth}. First of all it is almost impossible to meet with them but on a rare occasion when they can be met they will not pay attention. They will send one on a wild goose chase , ultimately those who slander others will be given preference there and that is why the one who desires recognition or respect will be left empty handed there too.

Then apart from these two category of people the rest are nireh moorakh {pure fools},agyani{ignorant}, or nirakaar pattacharj{immoral/spiritually corrupt} who cannot distinguish between good and bad. In this situation too a vidhvan{academic} faces dukh{agony}. The mann{mind} now sighs , the ones who understand the works are with stained minds i.e. full of eerkha{jealousy}. The wealthy are intoxicated with ego too. Other people try to avoid vidhvan{academics} too in the fear that they may ask for financial assistance if they praise their work , but vidhya mahatma{learned great souls} do sankoch{fear/shy away} of meeting these people. They realise that apart from rejection they will not achieve anything other than spending their time engrossed in nindya-ustat{slander-praises} of people and as such making the mann{mind} klookhat{paapi/sinner} and that is why they avoid them too. The question now remains as to who should the vidhvan{academic} show their work for appraisal?

Updesh{wise words}:- Heh palay pursho{good people}! If someone listens to you attentively, allows you to sit with them respectfully, and who wishes to listen to you then only discuss preach to that person alone. Conversely if someone does not wish to listen to you then don’t force yourselves on them, it will be your hatak{inferiority} by doing this.