Vairag Shatak Pt 21 To 25 {English}

MokhamSingh

“SORTAH”

“VAKTA HOY NRIP AAP SAROTA NIJ MANN KE KEYO.

RUDR SHALOK ALAAP , KAREYO ACHALL NIHTAAP CHIT”.

{20}.

Vakta=speaker/orator. Sarota=listener/audience. Rudr=eleven.

Arth{meaning}. Raja Bharthari Har is himself the orator and has made his own mann{mind} the listener. In this way with the eleven salok the chit{mind} has been made void of chanchalta{lack of concentration/focus}.

{20}.

Note:- Up until now the pashkar{translator} has done varnan{explanation} of poomikha{background} and manglacharan{opening eulogy} of the Granth. Now the updesh{teachings} will be told. The mann{mind} has been made the sarota{listener} because:-

“pehlay mann parbodoh aapna paasheh avarr reejaveh”. {Practice what you preach in order to convince others}.

“KABITT”

“DURGAMM VIKHAM ASES DES PARAM KAR,

LEHOYO MEH KALESH GAYEHO LAES NAHIH DHANNKO,

JAAT KUL KA ABHIMAN UCHITT VIHIYE TAI,

SWV KEENI PHALL HEENI SOCH PAYEO MATT KO.

KAAK YAU S SUNK MAAN BINN PARR DHAM KHAYO,

AJEH RAJEH N SUPREET PAJEH DURTT N KO.

BRAHM TE VISHOR NEECH TRISHNEH KEENOH DHORR,

ABB HOR JOH NACHAAT KAH HOR KAREH JANN KO.”

{21}.

Durgamm=where it is difficult to reach. Ases=angint=countless. Kalesh=agony. Dhorr=thick minded animal.

“I have travelled far and wide to unreachable places but have not acquired even laes matar{iota} of dhann{wealth} , rather I have just endured dukh{agony}. After doing the tiagh{rejection}of abhiman{ego}, my uttam jaati{high caste},and uttam kul{high lineage} I have done the seva{service} of neech pursh{low people} but that too remained phall heeni{without fruition} because I did not obtain any dhann {wealth} and that is why the mann{mind} is with chinta{worry} and then like a kaah{crow} I became shankavan{doubtful} and without satkar{respect} I would eat ann{food} in prai ghar{strangers homes} but I am still not full , rather doing the seva{service} with preeti{dedication} of buray sareer{bad people} in the hope that I may acquire something from them. Alas heh neech{low life} trishna{greed/insatiable appetite}! You have detached me from Brahm{God} thus making me a pashoo{thick-minded animal} , what more do you desire fro das{servant i.e. me} now! You have made me dance to your tune so much{i.e. being under the influence of trishna=greed}.

{21}.

Khulasa{further explanation}. I endured many kobachan{verbal insults} and much abhiman{loss of respect} at the hands of trishna{greed} , what more will I endure!

“KABITT"

“AASEH PHALL HEENIE KEENIE TEREH BALSO SEVADH,

MOONDHO KE KOBAN SODEH NAIN CHODE BANN KO.

CHIT KO SANKOCH KEENO KNG DRIGH SO ROHK LENO,

PAHNI SOHK CHEENO PEENO N BACHAN KO.

HASYO BHI NIKAR DUNT JAISE CHINTA MAAN JUNT,

JOR KARR KARR KARRI BANDHNA NEECHAN KO.

TAISE NAMO KAROH TUMHE TERE SANGH CHIRR PRAMEH,

ABB CHAIHEH SHORR HAMMEH KAHEH DEHEH JANN KO”.

{22}.

Aaseh=heh trishna{oh greed}. Moodhoh=moorakha=foolish person. Sodeh=endured. Bann=water. Kng=water. Drigh=eyes. Paahvi=eventuality/certainty. Peenoh=severe verbal retaliation. Karr=hands. Karri=has been done. Chaheh=heh trishna=greed. Deheh=burns/burning.

Heh trishna{greed}! Under your influence the seva/naukri{job} carried out has been without fruition , had to endure the durbachan{harsh words} that brought tears to my eyes. Had to keep quiet in order to please the malik{boss} and squeezed the eyes so that the tears would not flow out and be the cause of my employment severance. I tolerated all insults in the knowledge that retaliation would result in certain reprisals. Just as a chintavan{worried person} attempts to hide their worry by outward laughter , I too in this way laughed outwardly with clasped hands in order to please the boss but alas I gained nothing. In exactly the same way I namaskar{salute} you trishna{greed} I have wandered around with you for so long , oh trishna{oh greed}! Now leave me , why do you burn this gareeb{poor/helpless} person?

{22}.

Khulasa{further explanation}:- I did the naukri{work} of neech pursh{low-life i.e. immoral} and endured the onslaught of insults,sarcasm,and the harsh words from these dusht{demon-like people}. The arrows of their harsh words penetrated my kaleja{stomach} and my heart cried. I would control the ensuing ansoo{tears}. On the inside my mann{mind} would murjah{become tormented}. Just to please them I would put on a brave face and laugh with them , I would suppress my anger and keep my mann{mind} sathirr{at peace} and would clasp my hands in front of these badhmash{scoundrels} but alas I acquired nothing from them. Heh aasa{desires}! Heh be-arth aasa{useless desires}! You have made me dance to your every tune , what else remains in your dil{heart}?

“TOHTAK SHAND”

“ABB TOH TAJJ TOOH HUM KO TRISHNEH.

TAV LABH BIKHEH MAMM KHEDH GHANEH.

TUM KEEN MUJHE MANN BAAS JABHE.

DHANN SHANK UHTTI UHTT MERR TABHE”.

{23}.

Labh=acquisition. Kedh=dukh=pain. Ghaneh=many.

Heh trishna{hunger for maya}! Now release me. By acquiring you I have had to endure an abundance of pain. From the point you did vaasa{reside} in my mann{mind} , from that moment on my mann{mind} developed the isha{desire} for dhann{material wealth}.

{23}.

“SABH KO VITT HAIH SABH BHOOM TALEH.

HAMM KHODH THAKEH PARJANT JALEH.

GIRRH DHAAT KRISHAAN PRATAP DEHIE.

ABB LABH RASIYAN HOY SAHIH”.

{24}.

Vitt=dhann=material wealth. Taleh=underneath. Parjant=upto. Krishaan=fire. Labh=prapti=acquisition of.

Then I heard that all types of dhann{material wealth} is under the dharti{land}. In order to obtain this wealth I dug the land upto the water level i.e. very deep but alas found nothing. Then I started to burn fiercely the mines in the pahadh{mountains} and did the nischa{firm belief} that I will surely acquire rasyan{precious elements} which will eradicate all poverty , but alas nothing was found.

{24}.