Mahan Kosh

From a biography of Bhai Kahn Singh Nabha:

The crowning achievement of Bhai Kahn Singh has been published in four magnificent volumes. This was his Gursabad Ratnakar Mahan Kosh, first published in 1930 after many years of painstaking research -1912 to 1927. Mahan Kosh as it is generally called is a model encyclopaedia. It modestly claims in it subtitle to be an encyclopaedia of Sikh literature, but it is, in fact, much more. Its remarkable coverage and exemplary accuracy has a mul-titude of entries ranging from brief definitions of difficult words from the scriptures and tradition, through descriptive notes on various doctrines, individuals and institutions to accounts of the Gurus. It gives careful treatment of terminology, which has dropped out of usage or changed its meaning. Mahan Kosh is indispens-able for any serious student of Sikh studies, its qualities undimmed by over half a century which has passed since it first appeared in print. Bhai Kahn Singh ranks as one of the modern world's greatest encyclopaedists. The fact that he chose to present all his work in Punjabi has limited his contribution to those who read Punjabi, and although his reputation extends much farther, it is largely confined to the gen-eral area of Sikh studies. This does him less than justice. The range of his coverage, the meticulous care with which he collected and arranged his material, a scrupulous concern for accuracy and the succinct nature of his presentation, distinguishes his work. These are the qualities of a gr

eat encyclopaedist and their manifest presence in the works of Bhai Kahn Singh qualifies him as one of the truly great theologians.

So i was wondering what the name 'Gursabad Ratnakar Mahan Kosh' meant. And i started to search. GurShabad is as we know the Word of Guru Sahiban. Ratnakar is a word consisted of Ratan and Akar, Ratan means 'jewel, gem, pearl, any precious stone' etc. And Ratnakar means 'a mine of jewels, from which jewels can be produced/taken out'. Mahan is as we know 'big, great, grand' etc. Kosh means a dictionary or lexicon. But in the original sence it means 'treasure, storehouse' etc.

So i think 'Gursabad Ratnakar Mahan Kosh' might be, 'A grand treasure of Guru's Precious Words, from which jewels can be produced'. The english suffix to this lexicon is just 'Encyclopedia of Sikh literature'. rolleyes.gif A milestone in the field of Sikh studies.