Sarna fails to appear at Akal Takht

GlobalSikhNews

Amritsar, Punjab: Giving another chance to Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee chief Paramjit Singh Sarna, the Akal Takht has now summoned him on August 7 after the latter expressed inability to present himself at the Akal Takht today through his messenger.</p>

The Sikh clergy, highly placed sources revealed, had taken a serious view of Sarna’s allegations against Phoolka and it was not in a mood to give any further relaxation to Sarna.

“It is a serious matter relating to sentiments of the Sikh community. Phoolka has been putting in a lot of hard work to get justice for the Sikhs,” said Giani Gurbachan Singh, talking to The Tribune.

He said anybody could come across familial exigencies and Sikh priests were not averse to extending another hearing chance to anybody on such grounds.

Sources close to the Akal Takht have also pointed out that the Sikh high priests will not expect anything short of a detailed clarification from Sarna in black and white on August 7, irrespective of the fact that Sarna’s letter to the Akal Takht has virtually denied of having subjected Phoolka to any allegations.

Sarna, in his letter, explained that he had not levelled any allegations against Phoolka and rather it was the other way around as Phoolka had used “foul language” against him in a TV channel interview.

“It was the DSGMC executive committee which had sought to know about the slow pace of the 1984 cases and a resolution to find reasons was also passed at its meeting on May 5. We did whatever we could to satisfy Phoolka so that he would plead the cases before the Nanawati Commission in an effective manner. We are also enclosing copies of expenditure of more than Rs. 1 crore incurred on this account,” said Sarna, urging the Akal Takht to summon him on any day between August 8 and 16.

Meanwhile, senior advocate HS Phoolka appeared before the Sikh high priests at the Akal Takht. He alleged that Sarna had levelled false allegations against him that he had been given huge money to contest the cases of the 1984 anti-Sikh riot victims only to demoralise him.

“The allegations have come at a crucial time when judgment in a few cases was expected. They (Sarnas) want to mentally disturb him,” said Phoolka after his meeting with the Sikh high priests led by the Akal Takht Jathedar Giani Gurbachan Singh.

Asserting that he would be abiding by any directive of the Akal Takht, Phoolka said,” I have full faith in the Akal Takht and the Jathedar of the Akal Takht. The Akal Takht has also asked me to contest cases of the 1984 victims. My case is crystal clear. I have been working for the Sikh community for many years and I will keep doing so,” said Phoolka. He was accompanied by Delhi-based journalist Jarnail Singh.

Sarna, who was summoned by the Akal Takht to explain his position vis-à-vis his allegations against Phoolka, was represented by his messenger Bhajan Singh Walia who handed over a letter of Sarna to the Sikh high priests. In his letter, Sarna citied a couple of reasons behind his inability to appear before the Takht, including that he could not appear today for he was pre-occupied with arrangements regarding his father’s death anniversary on July 28.