The Trap Of Maya

SanmukhKaur

The Trap of Maya

Money is not everything

WaheguruJi works in mysterious ways, one just needs to keep open mind and open eyes tosee it. These past few weeks I have been having issues when it came to dealingwith money. As an immature young adult, I had been irresponsible using mycredit cards and had them taken away by my parents and warned just to use cash.Cash has always been my weak point and I had known that even before I had thecards taken away. So I had asked Waheguru Ji to help me give up my attachmentto money. I think it was a three step program; admittance, denial andforgiveness.

I have been trying to go to theGurudwara daily or as often as I can and it was decided I would empty mypockets of all cash at each visit. Seemed like a simple enough idea, after allI did have all my credit cards still with me. I stopped caring about cash andbarely carrying any at that. I became dependent on my cards. I stopped abusingone form of maya and started abusing another. When the bills came in, I was cutoff from this form of Maya also. I stopped visiting the Gurudwara as often, notknowingly but sub-consciously. I needed the money, I guess. So during the weekI avoided the Gurudwara Sahib but there was no way around Sundays. The lastSunday I was driving to the local Gurudwara Sahib a greedy thought crossed mymind. I said aloud to Waheguru Ji that it’s His fault I am broke, again today Iam going to give up my money and now I don’t even have my credit cards. But Iwill honor my promise and give up all the money I have.

I never got the chance to honor mypromise; Waheguru Ji intervened and reminded me of my place. I had complainedless than a block from the Gurudwara Sahib and a block later I completelyforgotten all about the money. Totally distracted I grabbed my books forPunjabi School and rushed in though I was early and there was no need to rush,just a feeling. It was not until I was already at Guru Granth Sahib Ji’spresence, that I remembered the money. I promised myself that after Punjabiclass I will go get the money. All through the Punjabi class guilt consumed methat I shouldn’t have said what I said; I have to honor my promise. But I nevergot around to bringing the money from the car. The money sat in my car for twoweeks, reminding me of my betrayal. For two weeks I tried to find my way to theGurudwara Sahib to honor my promise. I denied the fact I didn’t want to givethe money to Guru Ji in the first place, I denied it was His to do as Hewished. I tried to have control over something I had no control over,everything is Waheguru Jis.

Finally today, I gave up thecontrol back to Waheguru Ji. And I realized that the only way to lose the lovefor maya is to learn that we have no control over any of it, it’s all WaheguruJis. I spent the money today, all of it, to buy medication for my aunts painingleg. Once you say that you’re giving Waheguru Ji something and you trulybelieve in Waheguru Ji, He doesn’t let you make that mistake. He puts His Sikhshead and saves them from this world of maya. He teaches us that we can’t giveanything to Waheguru Ji; He is the one that gives everything.

The moment a Sikh feels they cangive Waheguru Ji anything, forgets how to beg, how to ask Guru ji. They getfilled with Ego (hanker) and they can never find a place in the feet ofWaheguru Ji. I don’t think I need cash or credit cards anymore because nomatter how much I struggle, Waheguru Ji is still in charge. Once we open theeyes of our mind, Waheguru Ji can help us beyond our wildest imagination. Mayais just one thing, Waheguru Ji has the ability to rescue us from all the evilsand give us a place at His feet.

source: http://www.sikhsangat.org/2010/12/the-trap-of-maya/