Bhangra At Surrey Nagar Kirtan

Hi Guys,

I noticed there were A LOT of Bhangra stalls, I think the whole mood of the nagar kirtan has really changed. It's just turning into this one big Food fest, with bhangra gigs.

I dunno I am not anyone to judge, but I think its only one day where we have gurbani in the streets, people should be ashamed who do the bhangra stalls.

** Mod Note: You had opened a similar thread regarding Vancouver nagar kirtan which was promptly closed. We still feel that rather than opening a thread on SS, you should be contacting the organizers with your concerns. However, we are leaving this thread open for now :) **

Surrey, British Columbia, Canada.

Sikhs are a joke in Surrey. A Nagar Kirtan is literally a "Neighbourhood Kirtan". Our Guru goes through the Nagar and we follow behind the Guru.

Bhangra is a cultural dance from Punjab. It may have very great significance to Punjabis but has none whatsoever to Sikhs. Punjabi culture is not part of Sikhi. The two should be kept seperate. If people want to have a Punjabi mela where they can do that without disrespecting our Guru they should do so.

But who am I kidding lol :tongue2: This has been going on for years and no Sikhs out in Van-City to speak out against it and get Nagar Kirtans restored to what they are supposed to be. Like 30% of people are the Nagar Kirtan in Surrey don't cover their heads. Yet every year nothing is done about it, same goes for taking a stand against the yearly "terrorist" comments about Shaheed Singhs.

Maybe Sikhs over there might just get fed up one day and do something, but this is not that day :rolleyes2: