Chapter 3 Vairaag Shatak

Ikonkar Satgur Prasad. {One creator , realised through Satguru}.

Dohra

"ATHTRITYEH ADHYIEH MAEH AAHT SHLOK UCHAAR.

VARNEHMEHMAA KAAL KEE SUNNOH JANNOH URR DHAAR".{1}.

Ath=nowand future. Mehmaa=greatness. Kaal=death.

Now inthe third adhyieh {chapter} the eight salok eulogise the mehmaa {greatness} of kaal {creator} , heh sajjanpurshoh! {oh friends} listen to the saloks and absorb them in your hearts.{1}.

.............To be continued..............

Kabitt

"INNEHPRAAN TRAAN KAAJ KE KE MAEH N KEEN,

KAAJKANJJ DALL PAEH BIRAJH KNG KANHI JYIOH HATT HAEH.

DHANMADDH KARR JANKEH ANDHH MANN AAGEH TAH KE,

BAKEHGUNN VAANKEH NIJJ TAJJI LAAJ MATT HAIH.

HAUTAU GUNN KHAAN TUMM SAKKAR KE SAMAAN,

KURUKETARGRASEHBHAAN MOH MAEH DAAN TADDH VATT HAIH.

KEENIEMAEH ITTAADH KRITT SAASAN NAMITT PARR,

SAANAHBHI SAEHI PARR SAAS N RAEHAT HAIH."{2}.

Traan=security/sustain.Kaaj=for the sake of. Ke Ke=which. Kanjj dall=lotus leaves. Biraj=on it/them. Kngkanhi=droplet of water. Maddh karr=with ego. Bakeh=composed. Vaankeh=them. Hautau= I have. Sakkar=Indar. Graseh bhaan=Eclipse of the sun. Saasan=breath. Saasnah=reprimand/insult.

Forthe sake of sustaining my praan {life} what deeds have I not done? {rhetoricalquestion} , but just as droplets of water slither away on the lotus leaf in thesame way my breaths are slithering away {coming to an end}. As a result ofhankaar {ego} those whose minds are blinded I stood before themcomposing/singing their praises , abandoning my kul's laaj {family honour} andmy budhi {intelligence}.

I amthe khaan {treasure mine} of all gunn {good attributes} and you are a daani {donator} akin to Indar just as inKurukshetra {during an eclipse} the donated alms give huge fruition , in thesame way the daan {alms} given to me byyou will give you much phall {fruition}. i.e. I am asking daan {good attributesfrom you in the form of alms}.

Forthe purpose of sustaining my praan {life} I have engaged in such deeds , toleratinginsults/reprimands from others but the svaas {breaths} still continue todecline.{2}.

............To be continued............

KABITT

"JAIHEHMAAT PITTAH TEH MAEH BHAIHYO UTTPATT TEH TOH,

KAALVASS BHAIY CHIRR KAAL BEEHT GHAYOH HAIH.

SAMMVAISS VAAREH DVAIREH MRITT KE SIDHAIREH SAAREH,

RAHEHHAMM SAEKH DEH BRIDDH VAES LAHYOH HAIH.

NADDHIRAET TEER PARR TURR YOH SAREER BHAYOH,

PRATTDINNH MRITT TEER TEER ABBH AHYOH HAIH.

GILLEHKAAL BHAIYAAL SAMM MAIDEKH KE AJEH HAMM,

BAJEHBHOG MASHARR KOH MOH SOH MOODH JAHYOH HAIH."{3}.

Bhaiyohuttpatt=born for. Teh toh=they/them. Vaiss=age/lifespan.Saekh=rest/remaining. Vaes=roop/form.Teer parr=on the edge. Teer Teer=very close. Gileh kaal=in the mouth of death.Byaal=snake. Maidekh=daddhoo=frog. Bhajeh=running after.

Theparents who gave birth to me have passed away a long time ago. My childhoodfriends too have passed away , only I remain but my body has become aged.

Justas there is a tree on the sandy banks of a stream , it is only short lived , my body has become like that and death isapproaching nearer and nearer on a daily basis.

Justas a snake has caught a frog in its mouth but the frog forgets death andfantasises about eating masharr {insects} , in the same way my janam {birth} asa maha moorakh {ultimate fool} has taken place who whilst in the mouth of themetaphorical snake {death} still yearn like the frog for the metaphorical masharr {insects}of bhog {physical indulgences} by running after them.{3}.

...........To be continued.

MANOHRAAJ TRIBHANGHI SHAND

"KUSHUKNIMASAH HAMMREE VAISSAH LAKHAU N KAISSAH KAAM DHARROH.

SURRSARR KOH TATT PARR KUTYIAH TAHTT KARR TAH MAEHEH TAPP KARR TAAP HARROH.

GUNNHJAIHEH UDHAIREH ASSS GANNH DHAIREH MAMM RUCH DHAIREH TAHEH VICHROH.

GANNHGRANTHAN MAEHEH UTT KAAVINN MOH YUTT KATHA RASSAMRITT PAAN KARHOH."{4}.

Nimaiseh=timeequivalent to the blink of an eye , Nimekh=so called , shinn=iota. Vaissah=age.Surr sarr= The Ganges=Ganga. Tatt parr = on the banks of. Tatt karr=by making.Taap=endurance. Gannh=many. Dhaareh=females. Ruch=devotion/love. Kaavin=inpoetic style.

1. Myremaining life is but only seconds , cannot figure out what to attach the mindto?

2.Sometimes I ponder "should I build a shack on the banks of the Ganges andengage in endurance in order to eliminate my torment?".

3. ThenI ponder "the many istrian{females} of superior virtues who showed much devotion/dedication towards me ,should I wander around with them?".

4.From time to time I have the furnah {fantasy/desire} to scrutinise thoroughlythe teachings contained in the sacredscriptures , to focus on these scriptures thus drinking the metaphorical AmritRass {sweet nectar}.{4}.

DOHRA

"TAPPTRIYAH SUDDHA ASIDDH TRAEH NIMAKH AOUKHAH MAEHEH.

DOOKHROOP BHAVV TEH ABHEH BINN NIRAAS SUKH NAHEH."{5}.

Bysitting on the banks of the Ganges and engaging in strict endurance , theachievement of virtuous females , the acquisition of the Amrit rass {sweet nectar} of readingscriptures , these three things cannot be achieved since tapp {endurance} andvidhyia {education} requires a very lengthy lifespan.

Thatis why without becoming niraas {renouncing} the dukh roop sansar {tormentfilled world} one cannot acquire Abbeh Sukh {eternal bliss}.{5}.

..............To be continued.

KABITT

"KAALBHAGHVAAN BRINDH KALAVAAN KAALI SANGH,

KHELATCHAUSAAR CHAAR DIGH HOOHN KI GHAR KE.

CHAARKHAANI PRAANI GHOTA RAEN DINH PAAS JOTAH,

MAARTACHOOKH CHOTA DAMPATT ADARR KE.

JAHEHEK GRAH MOH ANEK TAHAH EK RAEH,

EK TEANEK HAVAEH KHINEKH SABH SARR KE.

KAALKAALI KHAALI KEENEH LOKH LOKH PAALI SANN,

CHAUPATTN HAALI AJAEH SAEKH LAU KARR KE."{6}.

Brindh=many.Kaalvaan=with super strength. Kaali=death , one who has the power to kill.Chausaar=chaupadh=dice game. Digh=direction. Gotah=pawns/pieces. Paas=side. Jotah=both.Achook=never ending. Chotah=blows. Dampatt=both husband and wife , death andcreator of death. Adharr=without fear. Khinek=in the blink of an eye. Sarr=hasbeen done. Lokh=fourteen worlds. Lok paali=those responsible for the rearing ofthe world , i.e. Kuber/Inder/Bramha etc. Sann=together with. Saekh=the rest.

Thecreator with unfathomable power in the form of kaal {death} together with hisistri {wife} kaali {the creator in the form of} sit and play chaupadh {dicegame}. The four directions , four sub-directions , four eras , and the fourseasons are the sixteen houses of this game. The people of the four categoriesare the nardh {pawns/pieces} , day and night are the sides , this dampatti{husband and wife i.e. creator and death} cast the ultimate throw of dice sincethey fear on one.

Thehouse where there were many now just has one , where there was just one thereare now many. Everything happens in the blink of an eye.

Kaaland Kaali {creator and creator in the form of death} have emptied an abundanceof pawns/pieces {people} but up until now the chaupadh {dice game} stillremains intact since the staff i.e. Bramha etc still remain to be consumed.{6}.

KABITT

"BHAANHOOH KI GHATAGHATTI KARR DHINN DHINN PRATTT.

PRAANMEREH GHATEH JAISEH KHOREH GHATEH PAAN HAIH.

GRAAMKAAMOH KARR SAAREH BHAVV KE BAEPAAR BHAREH.

TAAMOHMATEH MATT VAAREH MRITKOH N DHIAN HAIH.

JAATJARAH PAAT UTT PAAT PAEKH BHATT JAAT.

CHEETMOH N JAAT JAISEH BHATT MOH N BHAAN HAIH.

MOHROOP MADHRA PRAMADH KARR PAAN KEENOH BAURAH.

BHAYOHBHAVV GAURAH BHAVV KOH N GYAN HAIH."{7}.

Bhaan=sun.Gatta gatt=coming and going/rise and go down. Graam=all. Tamoh=in them.Matteh=intoxicated. Jaat=born. Jarrah=old age. Paat=to die. Uttpaat=pain/misery.Bheet=fear. Jaat=going. Bheet=wall. Bhaan=reflection of the sun. Madra=alcohol.Pramadh karr=under ignorance. Baurah=insane. Bhavv=world. Gaurah=Parbatti.Bhavv=ShivJi.

As aresult of the sun rising and then going down my breaths are decreasing on adaily basis just as the water in an unbaked clay pot seeps out drop by drop ,thus leaving it empty.

Peopleof the world are so intoxicated in their daily routines of materialisticpursuits that they have forgotten death.

Thefear of death in childhood , adolescence , and old age does not enter/penetratethe mind just as the reflection of the sun does not enter/penetrate a wall.

Theworld , having drunk the metaphorical alcohol of moh {attachment} , has becomeinsane and that is why the world has neglected the concentration/meditation ofShivJi and Parbatti.{7}.

SVAIYAH

"AHOHVACHITTAR MANORATH SAGREH MOH URR MOH SAMBHAVV PHALL HEEN.

INNEHN AADH ANTT MADHH CHEENOH JALL TARRANGH IVV UJJPATT LEEN.

UNNJAGRATT BALAADH TEENH TRIKK MAEH N HEEN KUSH SUKHPATTI KHEEN.

JARRAHKEENH JOBHANN KOH BHOJANN PRAKRAMM HEENBHAYOH MAEH DEENH."{8}.

Moh=me/inme. Sambhavv=are produced. Tarangh=waves/water bubbles. Ivv=like so. Jarrah=oldage. Unn kaal=three time spans i.e. past present futre. Awake/sleep/sub-conscious.Tinn balaadh= three stages of childhood , youth , and old age.

It isof great amazement that the entities that do not give fruition are alwaystaking place/being produced in my mind.

Thebeginning , middle , or end of such cannot be conceived just as waves/bubblesoccur in the ocean but then disappear again and in the same way sankalp{flights of fantasy} occur and disappear in my mind.

Theseflights of fantasy never cease in thethree eras of time , the three eras of childhood , youth , and old age exceptfor a short respite in sakhopti {deep sleep}. Budhepah {old age} has consumedjavani {youth} as a result of which my strength has diminished and in every wayI have become deenh {helpless}.{8}.

...................To be continued..............

• 2 weeks later...

SVAIYAH

"BAAJGUNN GAYANGH MOH TANN MOH GUNN APHALL BHAE SABB JYIOH TRIAH BAANJ.

KAALKHIMMA BINN BALLI KRITANT UPP PRAPATT ABB HANEH KE SAANJ.

SEHSAYUKAT MUKT HITKOH SUBH JAH KARR MANN KOH SEHSA JAIYE.

HAR KEPAIYE KANJJ JUGG HAR KE AVARR SAREH KAU KAUN UPAIEH."{9}.

Gunngayangh=the good attributed creator. Khimma Binn=who mdoes not showmercy/forgiveness. Kritaant=kaal=death. Upp=sameep=near. Haneh=kills/destroys.Kih=or. Sehsa=prashan=question. Hitt=for. Sehsa=fear/worry. Harkeh=doing therenunciation of. Paiye kanjj=charan kamal=creator's name.Sareh=mukti=liberation.

Withoutthe realisation of Pramatma {creator} all the gunn {good attributes} in my bodyare aphall {futile} just as a barren female is aphall {non-productive}.

Kaal{death} that is without mercy is immensely balli {powerful} , i.e. it does notleave anyone out , kaal is the destroyer of Bramha's {given the task ofcreating world} world and it is not known when kaal will strike. Upon hearingthis my mann {mind} asks:

Prashan{question}: What is the saresht {special} yukti {technique} for acquiring mukti{liberation}? as a result of which the mann's {mind's} sansa {doubts} dispeland reach a state of shanti {peace/calm}.

Uttar{answer}:If both of the metaphorical lotus feet {Hari Charan , i.e. creatorsname} are forsaken then what other method of mukti {liberation} is there?{rhetorical question}. Artharth {in other words} Without the creator's namethere is no other method of mukti {liberation}.{9}.

To be continued..................

KABITT

"JAHKEBAAMEH DAAHNEH SAMATT CHAKKAR HOTEH AGGARR,

RAAJANKI SABBAH THEE MAYANK MUKHI NAARIAH.

BHOOPANKEPUTTAR THEH VACHITTAR BEER AHANGHKAARI BRIDH,

BANDHIJANN HOTEH VANS KAEH UCHARIAH.

AHOHBHAI BHAROH KASHT BHAARI BHOOP BHAE NASHT,

SIMRITTPADEH PRAVISHT JAANKI KATHA BHAARIAH.

HINSAKPRAPANCH SAH BRUNCH KOH ASANGH PUNNAH,

TAIHEHKAAL BEER KOH JUHAAR BAAR BAARIAH."{10}.

Baameh=left.Daahneh=right. Sammat=ministers. Chakkar=many/all. Mayankh mukhi=moon faced.Brindh=many. Bandhi jann=singers of praise. Padheh=Upnishads.Pravisht=specially written or acquired. Hinsak=destroyer.Prapanch=world/universe. Bruch=Bramha. Sah=with. Beer=brave warriors.Juhaar=Namaskaar=salutation.

Thosekings who had ministers to their left and right , held courts with fellow kings, whose palaces were adorned withmoonlit faced females , whose sons were proud fearless brave warriors , and whohad an abundance of singers singing their praises.

It isstriking heh bhai {oh brother}! and a matter of great torment that even suchmighty kings have been reduced to rubble ,i.e. dead.

Thecreator through Bramha does the naas {finishing} of the world/universe butstill remains asangh {unaffected} and is still not full ,i.e. still carries ondestroying. My namaskaar {salutations} to that metaphorical warrior of deathover and over again.{10}.

To be continued.......................

SORTAH

"AHOHBRAAHT ATT KASHT JAAS KAAL KE VASS BHAE.

BHAEPRAAK SABBH NASHT GHAE SIMRITIEH PATHANN MOH."{11}.

Praakh=inthe past. Pathann=path/way. Moh=in.

It isof great regret that oh brother! , it is of great torment that all of the kingsof the previous eras have become the fodder of kaal {death} and have gone in thediection of Simritiah {ancient text} in other words {artharth} upon listeningto the katha {meanings} of these ancient text the names of these kings arementioned therein.{11}.

ARDHBUYANGH PRAYAT SHANDD

"JISEHKAAL GAALEH. SOH BHOOPAL PAALEH.

JISEHAASEH PAASEH. SOMANTRI PRAKASHEH."{12}.

Thekaal that has destroyed abundant after abundant amounts of kings who weresurrounded and illuminated in every direction by superior ministers.{12}.

"MAHAHBEER SIANAH. SABBHI NEET JAANEH.

PUNNAHJAAHEH AAGAEH. SABBAH RAAJ LAAGEH."{13}.

"CHALEHAGGAR JAANKEH. TANYEH BHOOP BAANKEH.

YUVAHDRAVH MAATEH. SAHANKAAR JAATEH."{14}.

Thevazeer {ministers} who were brave and wise in all matters , who competent inall matters of rajneeti {political knowledge} , and who entertained the courtof kings.{13}.

Whohad the handsome young princes ahead of them who were on a high with wealth andyouth as a result of which they were very proud.{14}.

"HUTTEHCHAARNAGREH. SABHOGANGH SAMGREH.

TAHAHRAAJ DHAANI. HUTTI SHRAKK SAANI."{15}.

TEEHAHINDH TUNDHI. MANHOH KAAM KUNDHI.

JATTEELAAL MOTI. GHANEE DHAAM HOTI."{16}.

Whohad their praises sung by singers , who indulged in all sorts of indulgences ,and whose raajdhaani {palaces/capital city} was on a par with that of Indar{shakkar}.{15}.

Indar=moon.Tundhi=faced.

Theirpalaces were adorned with an abundance of moonlit faced females who werestudded with gems and pearls , who appeared to be the embodiment of kaam {lust}itself.{16}.

To be continued....................

• 3 weeks later...

"CHALEHBHAAT GAATEH. CHIRINGJEEV DAATEH.

JINEHKOPH AAGHEH SABHI BHOOPH BHAAGEH. {17}.

"SIREHSHATTAR SHAAJEH. DISHA CHAAR BHRAAJEH.

KAREEHAIH SAVAARI. KAREE HAIH SAVAARI."{18}.

Haih=horses. Karee=done. Karee=elephant.

Thosewhose praise is sung by bhatt {singers} in the form of shands {poetic style}and are accompanied by them. They say "heh daateh {oh Lord} may you bechiringjeevi {have a long life}". Many other kings feared the wrath ofthese such kings. {17}.

Theirheads would have a shattar {large unbrella} above it , their hukam {command} wouldbe accepted in all four corners of the land. They would ride elegant horses andride elegant elephants. {18}.

"INNEHAADH RAAJEH. HUTTEH SAA SAMAAJEH.

SABHIKAAL MAAREH. GANNEH KAUN SAAREH. {19}.

BHAETEH PURANEH. NAKOH TAHEH JAANEH.

KATHAJE PURANEH. SANNH NAAM JAANEH." {20}.

Thesekings who once were , who rule with pride have all been consumed by kaal{death} now. Who can count the number of such kings? {rhetorical question}.{19}.

Theyhave become puraneh {old} , no one knows them now. Only those who listen to thekatha {meanings} of the Puraans {ancient Indian text} will know of their names.{20}.

"PUNNAHTEENH LOKHI. SUNEHOH VILOKHI.

NIMEHKEHAKMAAHI. GILLOH KAAL TAAHI. {21}.

YUBHABRIDH SHOREH. KAHOON KOH N SHOREH.

NAMOHTAA KAALEH. JISSEH SARAB GAALEH." {22}.

Furthermorethe beings of the three worlds whose names are in the Shaastras {ancient text}have all been consumed by death in an instant. {21}.

Mynamaskaar {salutation} to the mighty kaal {death} who shows no mercy on child ,youth , and elderly. Kaal destroys everything.

DOHRA

"HANEHHANTH PUNN HANEGHO UTTAM MADHAM MANDH.

GANNEHBAROBARR SARDH KOH TAANTEH TAANKOHBANDH." {23}.

Mynamaskaar {salutation} to the kaal {death} that does not discriminate betweenuttam {high} , madhamm {middle} , and neech {low}. Kaal consumes all on anequal basis. {23}.

KABITT

"JINOHDHANOH KARR SABH MILEH MANOH KAAM JABB,

TAAKOHBHAYOH SIDH TABB KAHAH LAABH MAAN HAIH.

ARINNKOH SIRR PARR CHARAN KOH DHAAR KARR,

KAHAHBHAYOH DHAAR DHAAR SOYH SAABHMAAN HAIH.

JOHSANEHI JANNOH DHANN KARR MAAN KEENOH GHANOH,

KAHAHBHAYO TOHEH BHANOH TOOH KUL BHAAN HAIH.

KALPPRAYANT BHOG BHOGENARR KAHAH HOGH JAATEH,

ANTTNAASI LOKH SANEH KAAR KAAN HAIH." {24}.

Arinn=enemy.Dhaar dhaar=being without fear. Kul bhaan=sun of the lineage. Kalp=one day ofBramha.....when 14 Indars have finished their raj then one day lapses forBramha..........72 chaunkdiah yug is the time equivalent to the time taken forIndar's one raj. Kaar Kaan = Karak avtar {an Avtar for a specific purpose}.

Thematerial wealth that everyone yearns for , when that is obtained what is thebenefit of such?

If bycrushing all enemies one becomes fearless and sleeps with ego , so what?

Iffriends sing your praises when they receive material wealth from you and theysay "that you are the suraj {sun} of your kul {lineage} , what happens?

Hehbandheh {oh being}! even if one's life span was that of kalp and one indulgedin all the bhog {material pleasures} , what will happen? In the end togetherwith the kaarak Avtar all people will be consumed by death. {24}.

DOHRA

"BHAYOHKAAL BHAIH PRAGAT KARR TRITYEH ITT SRI AAP.

VAIRAAGADHIKSUTT JANEH HANEH SARAB BHAIH TAAP." {25}.

Withthe fear of death the teesra adhaiy {third chapter} has been written. This fearof death has given birth to the metaphorical son of "vairaag" {renunciation}etc. The likes of which dispel all fears and torments. {25}.

ITTTRITYEH ADHAIY {third chapter}.