How Are Afghan Sikhs Managing To Survive?

genie

Isnt it shameful how we are living our lives without reaching out to our own yet give to charity to help others. Who are looking after the interests and welfare of our Afghan Sikh brothers and sisters? They are treated like animals and 3rd class citizens in their own homeland. Afghanistan is there home, not india, not uk, elsewhere we should have our sikh charities (like Khalsa Aid) solely giving aid to our people first rather than going to crazy places like Libya and Africa where no one will convert to Sikhism or care for Sikhs. That aid has gone and been used up while our brothers and sisters who are holding up the flag and love for Sikhi in Afghanistan live a life of misery abandoned by their own......shameful.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17146273

These afghan sikhs who fled afghanistan and now living in the west or india and who are not helping their fellow afghanis are a disgrace. I've chatted to a few of their off spring and they have no love or passion to help their own or get the wider community involved in raising awareness of the plight of those left in afghanistan. Either they are ignorantly bliss like the wider Sikh community or they are deliberately turning a blind eye....we shouldnt be..... we have a duty to help our own (the Sikh community which ever nation they belong to) first.

you're right, but where to start? the ones who are making headway in helping poorer sections of society seem to ignore these Sikhs as ou've pointed out.

When the taliban forced the sikhs out of the frontier or convert to islam, thousands of them came for refuge at Panja Sahib. That week Khalsa Aid had an appeal for funds to help these people. I approached my local gurdwara commitee to see if they could contibute £1000 to help our brother and sisters. The committee mocked me over this, and that was 3 or 4 years ago.

That day i made a decision that I would never put a penny inot that gurdwara gohlak, until their attitude changed. I just keep the money myself and when it adds up, just send it to help those in need.

As some individuals have a lack of compassion, i think some gurdwaras have it as well.

you're right, but where to start? the ones who are making headway in helping poorer sections of society seem to ignore these Sikhs as ou've pointed out.

When the taliban forced the sikhs out of the frontier or convert to islam, thousands of them came for refuge at Panja Sahib. That week Khalsa Aid had an appeal for funds to help these people. I approached my local gurdwara commitee to see if they could contibute £1000 to help our brother and sisters. The committee mocked me over this, and that was 3 or 4 years ago.

That day i made a decision that I would never put a penny inot that gurdwara gohlak, until their attitude changed. I just keep the money myself and when it adds up, just send it to help those in need.

As some individuals have a lack of compassion, i think some gurdwaras have it as well.

Perhaps we need a protest or activist pressure group to force changes made to how gurdwara committees conduct themselves so that they look out for the wider interests of the Sikh community throughout the uk and internationally rather than their locality. This way we do not neglect our own when they need our help we can pull resources together and help them.

Guest KopSingh

our sikh charities (like Khalsa Aid) solely giving aid to our people first rather than going to crazy places like Libya and Africa where no one will convert to Sikhism or care for Sikhs. That aid has gone and been used up while our brothers and sisters who are holding up the flag and love for Sikhi in Afghanistan live a life of misery abandoned by their own......shameful.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...d-asia-17146273

i guarantee if i made this comment, the pappus wud of hounded me by now.

i agree with u, we shud help our own, then others, altho helping others on the side is essential, too, but if we arn't gona look after our own ppl, then who is?