Respect for Gurbani Translations

Akaali

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa Waheguru ji ki Fateh!

I have been thinking of this for some time now. And time for my next visit to Punjab is coming (it is not this winter, but not till next summer...so i have to start planning now).

I know that Sri Guru Granth Sahih Saroops are too be seated with outmost respect, and dedication only as they are seated at the Gurdwaras.

However, i am not so karmawala that Guru Sahib will give me the Darshan at my home. But i have been thinking of getting 'Sanchis' or translations (steeks) of Gurbani in Punjabi langauge.

Also they will be kept for study purpose only. I won't be doing Sehaj Path (if we count the strict definition). I am happy if i do path of the Bani that is given in Nitneem Gutkas, and often this <banned word filter activated> (me) has to work hard for that....as you may have understood - i am not so strong in my rehit. blush.gif So, before taking any step, i want to be sure, i don't disrespect etc.

So i was wondering how we keep the Steeks/Teekas/Pothis with translations. Is it okey to keep them in a clean cupboard at the top level? Also, similar for Dasam Granth Steeks? Also when i study them, in what way should that be done...ie special table or anything...take a bath/wash etc...(much of it is simple logic, but i just want to be sure).

Please forgive me for any mistake.

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

That is a really good question! In my OPINION, I think that the words of the Guru, in any language, should be treated the same as the Guru. So if you have a gutka translation, store it like you would store a normal gutka. The same goes with Dasam Granth, or SGGS translations!

If you are going to get a translation of SGGS, try to get one that has the translation and the original text in the same "page" format. That way, you can use the text as an original SGGS OR as a reference!

Bhul Chuk Maff!

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

We have pothis of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji, a total of 8 I beleive. We have a separate room, there's a day-bed with a rumalla sahib on top. There's also a cupboard in the room, with gutke, etc.

bani guru guru hai bani

Gurbani should be given utmost respect.

Bhul chuk muaf.