is gatka real?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. is gatka real?

• yes
    • no

Guest Lohgarh Singh

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

i would like to tell my fellow brothers and sisters about gatka. Gatka is a sport played by nihangs at holla mahalla, NOT WHAT THE SIKHS USED IN BATTLE. It is basically dancing with a sword, if you observe gatka, it is just striking again and again and again, no thought in where you strike or how. There are loads of points i can make which some sikhs wont beleive. If you are one of them people visit <Anti-Sikh Site> there, is all the info you need on the real martial art Sri Guru Harobind Sahib Ji made, and a sport which has claimed itself as our martial art.

Mod -10 : please do not spam the forum

I don't think you've actually understood the art, let alone practice it. First of all the martial art is not called 'gatka', that is a term for play fighting/training.

The art used by puraatan singhs is called 'Shaster Vidya', its an evolved, east-indian martial art, it was not developed by guru sahib, but evolved from centuries old tradition, if you do research on it, it goes back thousands of years.

Mallavidya Vajra Mushti is the far back researched martial art, from which other martial arts in india evolved.

India suffered several invasions, which brought about the need for sharing the systems of combat among its diverse ethnical groups. The basic roots were not changed, only the external forms were adapted to each one's needs. Names were also various, according to local dialects and interpretations. In essence, though, the concept remains the same.

Whether Malahkhara-Gatka in Punjab, Nakh-A-Kha-Mushti in Gujarat or Kalari-Ppayatum in Kerala, Martial Arts in India still follow its divine aspiration

http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/1061/vmname.html

Check out that website, for more information.

As for the practicality of Shaster Vidya/Gatka, most of the real teachers no longer exist, and these days, gatka is primarily done as a "show" at local nagar kirtans. F

or example, the following training methods no longer exist at most akharas around the world:

- Hand to hand combat

- Grappling/Wrestling (main training method used by Singhs to keep in shape)

- Knife Combat

- Astar Vidya (Science of throwing of weapons)

So, before trying to tell anyone about gatka, try to learn its history/significance yourself, and you'll understand how it was used in battle.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

As for the practicality of Shaster Vidya/Gatka, most of the real teachers no longer exist, and these days, gatka is primarily done as a "show" at local nagar kirtans. For example, the following training methods no longer exist at most akharas around the world:

- Hand to hand combat

- Grappling/Wrestling (main training method used by Singhs to keep in shape)

- Knife Combat

- Astar Vidya (Science of throwing of weapons

Gatka is actually a real fighting technique. It is not just waving around a stick, you actually have to think about what would happen in real life and how to react properly. Actually there are akharas that teach a lot of the things listed above. A new training gatka academy is going to open up five mins from dixie Gurdwara and they are going to teach a lot of the things that are listed above. If you would like to learn more go to gatka.ca, the website is not up yet but is coming soon.

this is a good one. 12 people voted so far and all said its real.

depends who you learn from, i think gatka is effectivee and i think it is essential. afterall wats the point of wearin a kirpan if u cant use it.

i do think we need to move on and also teach other shasters, modern ones, u know what im talkin about.

www.warriorsaints.com

www.internationalgatka.org

honest Living, Remember God, Charity, Sharing, Sacrifice, Humility,

Devotion, Equality, Respect, Forgiveness,

Compassion, Self-Help, Integrity,

and Service

The way of a Warrior : Is Forever

Always has been, is now and always will be.

.....................................................Courtesy Of Baba Fateh Singh Gatka Akhara

"Gatka" is the name of a 39-inch long wooden stick used in combat

"Shaster Vidya" means the art and tradition of weaponry

neither of these are the Sikh martial art

the Sikh martial art is Sikhi

Sikhi is a martial art, a religion, a way of life.

All real Sikhs are saints. All real Sikhs are soldiers.

Learning to use weapons including the stick called a gatka, as well as learning battle strategies, hand-to-hand combat, wrestling, these are things real Sikhs have done for hundreds of years.

Learning to pronounce gurbani properly, read fluently from Guru Granth Sahib, do kirtan, play musical instruments and understand complex spiritual poetry and philosophy, these are also things real Sikhs have done for hundreds of years.

Learning to engage in negotiations, peace-keeping, political maneouvering, teamwork, conflict resolution, management, multi-tasking, being proactive, these are also things real Sikhs have done for hundreds of years.

These are all different aspects of the MAHAAN martial art, vidya, lifestyle called Sikhi, which leans on the pillar of Gurmat.

You don't need to go to a nang website to find that out. It's in our ithihaas, it's in our different panthic vidhvaans kathas, and most importantly it's also in Guru Granth Sahib Ji, Bhai Nand Lal jee's vaars, Bhai Gurdas jee's vaars, Bhai Gurdas Singh jee's vaars, and Guru Gobind Singh jee's bani.

now the difficult thing - which I don't do - and I really struggle with - and perhaps many other people struggle with - is practicing it. :wub:

please forgive my mistakes

vaaaaaheguroojeekaakhaalsaaa

vaaaaaaheguroojeeeekeeeeeeefathehhhhh!!!!!!!!!