Musical Project Set To Release 1 Million Copies Of Sikh Teachings

singhbj singh

Musical Project Set to Release 1 Million Copies of Sikh Teachings

By Priya Kaur @pripri619 | December 19, 2014

A worldwide project, known as 35 Akhree, or Painti Akhree, is garnering support from various global organizations for its mission to educate Sikhs and others about their religious teachings and language.

Although Painti Akhree was originally used in Punjab, India, the language has now crossed the frontiers of its homeland, and Gurmukhi has accompanied them everywhere.

The word Gurmukhi means from the mouth of the Guru, but as generations pass, the Punjabi language has been taught less and less within the younger generations. Reaffirmed by the U.K. Research Center on Languages, within in the next 30-40 years, the language of Punjabi will be a rarity.

In order to spread the teachings of Gurmukhi, the project will release an album with 10 songs to teach the youth basics about their religion. The copies will be audio CDs, along with DVDs, and all soundtracks are free of cost, to reach as many Sikhs as possible worldwide.

The tracks on the songs have been sung by Bollwood singers, like Kavita Seth and Sona Mohanpatra. The songs are set to educate the youth about the 10 Gurus, 5 Pyare, 4 Sahebzade, 5 Kakaar, along with gender equality, importance of Aanad Karaj and Seva.

Harmandeep Kaur Randhawa, a reality TV show producer in India, and one of the original members on the project, spoke to me in further detail about their mission at the Euless Gurdwara Sikh Sangat in Euless, Texas.

At the projects core, Randhawas said it is targeted to help educate Sikhs of all ages around the world about their religion through music.

Music is something people can relate to universally, and that is why their goal is to release one million copies of the album on the same day, making it a world record.

There has never been an international record released all over the world, on the same day, not even Jennifer Lopez has released an album worldwide in the same day, Randhawa said.

She said she jumped on board with the project for many reasons.

Being a Sikh, I wanted to do my seva in a way that I could reach out to as many people as possible, and this is a way I thought I could get everyone involved, Randhawa said. This is a peoples project. This is for the people. The more people we talk to, the more people join, and it keeps getting bigger. We started off with 20 people in India, and now we have covered India, Malaysia, parts of the U.S., and we are working with the U.K.

Also, every volunteer who joins the 35 Akhree team will have their name published on the album.

Project 35 Akhree is set to debut the album within the next few weeks, so look out for the release date, and be sure to donate to the cause on their website.

http://www.35akhree.org

Source - http://www.india.com/lifestyle/musical-project-set-to-release-1-million-copies-of-sikh-teachings-226395/