Sikh Wins Compensation Over Prison Turban Challenge

singhbj singh

Sikh wins compensation over prison turban challenge

Solicitor barred from visiting client in Belmarsh prison because his turban was held together with pins

David Barrett By David Barrett, Home Affairs Correspondent

6:44PM GMT 15 Jan 2015

A Sikh solicitor has won undisclosed compensation after being barred from entering a prison to visit a client because he had pins in his turban.

Amrik Bilkhu, a criminal defence solicitor, was told to remove the pins even though he pointed out it would make the religious garment fall apart.

He brought a religious discrimination claim against the Ministry of Justice, which has now settled out of court and agreed to pay Mr Bilkhus legal costs.

Mr Bilkhu arrived at Belmarsh prison in south-east London to visit a client who was on remand in October 2013.

He had previously been allowed into the jail without any problems but on this occasion was refused entry because of the four pins holding together his turban.

The solicitor then sued for religious discrimination and a trial was due in the county court in May, before the Ministry of Justice agreed an out of court settlement.

Duncan Burtwell, of GT Stewart solicitors, said: The way that Mr Bilkhu was treated in this matter was appalling and it ought never to have been necessary to bring this claim on his behalf.

Any legitimate security concerns relating to Mr Bilkhus turban pins could have been more proportionately addressed than by the refusal to admit him to the prison altogether.

In any event, Mr Bilkhus attendances at Belmarsh on previous occasions and Belmarshs approval of his turban pins for subsequent legal visits rendered the entire incident ridiculous.

Mr Burtwell, who is also a colleague of Mr Bilkhu, said he had suffered indignation and distress at the prison staffs actions.

A Ministry of Justice spokesman said: "We respect individuals' rights to wear religiously appropriate clothing, including hats, turbans and caps.

"We do not comment on individual claims."

Source - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11349401/Sikh-wins-compensation-over-prison-turban-challenge.html

Often wondered what is the need for Pins in a dastar?

as far as I knew one shouldn't use these and starch and the guy did both. If you learn to tie an unstarched dastaar pins are not needed to hold its shape ...oh well I had mixed feelings about this story as it is ridiculous that he argued for his pins in fact when he know in his profession that prison visits are required and that security would probably object to them . So he acted immaturely in some respects . But I did agree the prison authorities overstepped the mark banning him.

as far as I knew one shouldn't use these and starch and the guy did both. If you learn to tie an unstarched dastaar pins are not needed to hold its shape ...oh well I had mixed feelings about this story as it is ridiculous that he argued for his pins in fact when he know in his profession that prison visits are required and that security would probably object to them . So he acted immaturely in some respects . But I did agree the prison authorities overstepped the mark banning him.

hanji they he should have been allowed to enter. without starting a caste (correction - *discussion), did the origin of starching begin with if you like 'Tarkhan' community or from Punjab? I say this as they seem to be in the majority with this style? Once it hardens like paper mache it becomes a topi!

hanji they he should have been allowed to enter. without starting a caste decision, did the origin of starching begin with if you like 'Tarkhan' community or from Punjab? I say this as they seem to be in the majority with this style? Once it hardens like paper mache it becomes a topi!

which SRM says is banned