Bhangra, Matrix Style

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Veerji,

Guru fateh,

Is Bhangra a part of Khalsa culture and is it in compliance with Gurbaani when Guruji says:

"nach nach ttupehi buhuth dhukh paavehi "

they dance and dance and jump all around, but they only suffer in terrible pain

"sukh naahee paekhae nirath naattae "

There is no peace in watching dances and plays

I would Bhangra can't be in compliance with Sikhi & Gurbani becoz you can't keep your mind in Sehaj while doing Bhangra and the Bolees they sing during this dance is all Saakat Geet Naad from which Guruji wants to keep himself and his Gursikhs away by saying:

maerae mohun sruvunee eih n sunaaeae

saakat geet naad dhun gaavat bolat bol ajai

O my fascinating Lord, let me not listen to the faithless cynic, singing his songs and tunes, and chanting his useless words

Vaaheguru ji ka Khalsa

Vaaheguru ji kee fateh

:nihungsmile:

"sukh naahee paekhae nirath naattae "

There is no peace in watching dances and plays

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

guru ke pyareo,i dont know weather bhngra is there in khalsa or not BUT the shabad wich veerje u gave i think so maharj said dirty peoples like me those who visit bad place and watch dances i think so it for them. rolleyes.gif

Veerji,

How about the other quotes from Gurbaani which I have given here and do you think bhangra is not a part of dance? I am sure that if you would ask Puraatan Gursikhs like Bh. Jeevan Singhji or Giani Nahar Singhji they will also emphasise on one thing that bhangra is not part of Sikhi/Khalsa tradition.

We have seen & heard about Gursikhs like Bh. Fauja Singhji & Bh Amolak Singhji Australia playing Gatkaa but not bhangra. Can anyone please remind me about a single line from Sikh history that Puraatan Gursikhs used to play bhangra?

So mere veero! just think about brahmin's (RSS) plans who want to include all these folk dances in Sikhi culture so that they can keep our Sikh youth away from Khalsa values.

We need to have debate about this topic, I would also request other Gursikhs to shed some light on this.

Guru Fateh!

Veer ji just because Bhangra is done by mostly Sikh people doesn't mean that it is Sikhi Related and has any value in Sikhi.

You are right however when u say that Bhangra ( Modern Bhangra ) is Anti Sikhi. But What is wrong with Bhangra that is just done using Dhol and traditional Boliyans ?

We need to define clearly what is Cultural and what is Sikhi Related. Lets Start with Bhangra.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Guru Ki Piaareo, bhangra has no connection with Sikhi whatsoever, it is merely a tradition that was started by some Sikhs of the time of Guru Amar Das Ji.

What people get confused with is that because it was started by Sikhs at the time of the Guru, they think that it was brought into Sikhi by Guru Ji, but it wasn't. It was just a couple of Sikhs that were merely having a good time at Vaisakhi. (May I remind you that Vaisakhi was started by Guru Amar Das Ji, not Guru Gobind Singh Ji). It is because of this people think that it is Sikhi related.

But Guru Ji did not say that we cannot do Bhangra at all. This isn't mentioned anywhere in the Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Therefore having Bhangra isn't against Sikhi at all. It's this new Bhangra that is coming through with this new generation. They are wanting to mix Bhangra with R'n'B, but it isn't right, we still need to stick to our cultural traditions aswell as our religious ones.

It's this new Bhangra that is coming through with this new generation. They are wanting to mix Bhangra with R'n'B, but it isn't right, we still need to stick to our cultural traditions aswell as our religious ones.

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

agreed ^_^ this new bhangraa is full of KAAM and i mean it exept some good those who show real bhagraa and no KAAM.

gurU ky ipAwry isKo,

gurU Pqih

If we say that it has nothing to do with Sikhi or Khalsa tradition and it's merely an exercise, then there are number of other plays/games (For eg: Gatka & Martial arts) which we can term as good physical exrecises, so why we are insisting on playing bhangra again & again. Guru Hargobind Singhji and Guru Gobind Singhji always used to encourage their Sikhs to learn Shashtar Vidya, martial arts/wrestling etc. becoz they wanted their Gursikhs to be physically & spiritually strong. I have never read in Sikh history that Guruji might have encouraged their Singhs for bhangra even though there was no disco kind of bhangra at that time.

As you guys might already be aware that Toronto's Singhs have recently oraganized a Gatka competition called Yudh2003, they deserve appreciation, it's a great effort. We should participate whole heartedly in such competitions and should work seriously to revive our old tradition.

Mere Gursikh Veero,

If you say that you guys play bhangra just for fun & exercise and not for anything else then I would say choose Singhaa walee game Gatka to get all that which you are getting from bhangra.

Guru ke ladle Singho, you should be unique (niaare) from other people in each aspect of the life, because:

bhuguthaa kee chaal niraalee

The lifestyle of the devotees is unique and distinct.

chaalaa n

iraalee bhuguthaah kaeree bikhum maarag chulunaa

The devotees' lifestyle is unique and distinct; they follow the most difficult path.

Guest SikhForLife

ur point well taken kooker.. thanx

only if such excerises were more availble to us..

this whole bhangra thing has been with us.. so thats why we r so used to it..

gatka could be as much fun too.. just dont have it available